Which beresford to buy:

Hi Folks,

Will adding a DAC to my current setup (Pioneer 610 DVDP source & Onkyo 606 AVR) improve soundstage significantly ?. please advice.

Thanks
Ramesh S

In my personal experience music in 606 (Pure Audio / Direct mode) its really pathetic compared to my HTR 320 (Direct mode) except the sound is a little bit open in 606. IMHO, you really need to think about some stereo DAC setup.

Last edited:
In my personal experience music in 606 (Pure Audio / Direct mode) its really pathetic compared to my HTR 320 (Direct mode) except the sound is a little bit open in 606. IMHO, you really need to think about some stereo setup.

shall i rephrase your suggetsion as "There will be no significant improvement in sound stage by adding a DAC to Onkyo 606, rather go for a stereo amp and then think about a DAC ?"

Introducing a DAC between your DVDP and AVR essentially makes your AVR an amplifier for the processed analog signals from DAC.

Try DAC MAgic from Cambridge audio, it retails for about Euro 299. Dac Magic has better upsampling capability as compared to beresford.

Introducing a DAC between your DVDP and AVR essentially makes your AVR an amplifier for the processed analog signals from DAC.

Yes that is my intention as well. allow the external dac to do the digital to analog conversion instead of onkyo's built in DAC and use the receiver purely as an analog amplifier, question here is will it improve the sound quality significantly, is it worth investing 15-20k in a DAC ?

shall i rephrase your suggetsion as "There will be no significant improvement in sound stage by adding a DAC to Onkyo 606, rather go for a stereo amp and then think about a DAC ?"

Oh oh, My bad, I missed 1 important word in b/n, "DAC" in the last sentance. I have corrected it. I was also in the same boat. I got a deal on a stereo amp 2/3 days back for a stereo amp and I went for that. In my opinion adding a decent DAC 606 should perform better than now. But a stereo amp will perform well than an AVR (not experienced yet, quoting from other users' advice), one reason is that it allows tweaking w/ tone controls (if required). I think what you can try is to get a decent DAC and try w/ 606 and meantime try auditioning some of the stereo amps in the market w/ your DAC and if you could find the difference, rest is your decision..:)

Last edited:
Try DAC MAgic from Cambridge audio, it retails for about Euro 299. Dac Magic has better upsampling capability as compared to beresford.

I have also been sailing in the same boat but in my case I want to use my Ipod with a digital transport like this Onkyo Europe - ND-S1 where in I will be able to send digital out from my Ipod to either an external DAC or to my AVR i.e Onkyo Nr905 in this case directly.
Now my question is whether adding an external DAC like beresford would make any difference in my setup or to actually get the difference in sound quality in comparison to an Integrated amplifier, how much money should I spend on a DAC, if the need exists.

I'm willing to be of help. We could try to check if it makes sense to connect your IPOD to my Beresford.

I'm presently also trying to procure the old Sanyo World Receiver which as digital out

Kindest regards,
--
helium

I am surprised that anyone would write that the DacMagic does upsampling better than the Beresford.:rolleyes:. The My DAC is not an upsampling DAC for one. And neither does Cambridge Audio give hifivision members a discount, or do they post here.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back