Which beresford to buy:

Yes. No where as good as my Caiman.

I would really love to know more about how the Caiman is better than a lot of the DACs out there like the DACMagic. Not that I doubt your word. But it would help a lot of us make objective decisions if you explain the thought process and facts behind your statement. Thank you.

Stan: Have you used or heard DacMagic MK2? Whats the sound signature like?

I did not know there is already a MK2 for the CA DacMagic.

I have listened to the DacMagic quite extensively at SKS Traders Kolkata a few months ago while I was auditioning amps. The accompanying set-up was described in detail in my long amp thread. I'll just say here that a Cayin CDP (quite capable as a stand-alone CDP) was used as transport.

The experience was very disappointing for me. It was as if all the juice was taken out of the music. We tried all tweaking possible with the DAC. In some other thread also, I did describe it in detail (in fact I remember Venkat and I were in a discussion about it). Even if discounted, I would not buy it. As far as I know it was not the MK2.

BTW, I've never heard any Beresford, so this is no way a comparison.

Regards.

Guys I have managed to check the Beresford DAC in my setup and the results have been in favour of External DAC.
Earlier I was running my Ipod through the analogue output of the DA2X Dock but since the inception of the newer Digital Dock there has been vast improvement in the Quality of the music but it was also lacking someting to it and this gap was filled by introducing Beresford in between the Dock and the AVR.
When I connected the Digital Dock directly to the AVR, I felt that there was some sort of hollowness to the Music played through the Ipod and it also lacked a bit of Bass, but the most suprising fact was that even the lossless files were sounding like Mp3s, after that I added the Beresford and it did wonders to my setup and this time the Detailing was perfect without adding any extra bit of Brightness and the bass was well rounded off.
After this test I am left with no choice but to add an External DAC to my system and here the question arises that should I go with the Beresford or Cambridge Audio DAC magic which is twice the price of Beresford and right now out of stock.
Special Thanks to Sumit without whose help this test wouln't have been possible. This forum needs more guys like him.

Special Thanks to Sumit without whose help this test wouln't have been possible. This forum needs more guys like him.

Ashish> Relax man, I just loaned you a DAC. No big deal.
Lets do head-on of CA DAC magic Vs Beresford. I inquired with FX Entertainment and they say that DAC Magic is not in stock. He is supposed to call me when he receives the same.

We shall take the beresford there and lets play some music there. I am sure a lot of guys will benefit by the results.
Also, Stanley might have a fair idea about the results;)

Guys I have managed to check the Beresford DAC in my setup and the results have been in favour of External DAC.
Earlier I was running my Ipod through the analogue output of the DA2X Dock but since the inception of the newer Digital Dock there has been vast improvement in the Quality of the music but it was also lacking someting to it and this gap was filled by introducing Beresford in between the Dock and the AVR.
When I connected the Digital Dock directly to the AVR, I felt that there was some sort of hollowness to the Music played through the Ipod and it also lacked a bit of Bass, but the most suprising fact was that even the lossless files were sounding like Mp3s, after that I added the Beresford and it did wonders to my setup and this time the Detailing was perfect without adding any extra bit of Brightness and the bass was well rounded off.
After this test I am left with no choice but to add an External DAC to my system and here the question arises that should I go with the Beresford or Cambridge Audio DAC magic which is twice the price of Beresford and right now out of stock.

Im glad to know you appreciate the difference after connecting the external DAC.

helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakres: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

Guys after searching a little on the net and specially on TV, home cinema and hi-fi reviews, news and videos - whathifi.com I came across these links in which Beresford 7510 / 7520 and Cambridge Audio DAC Magic is reviewed and also there has been some discussion on its forum about the difference between the two DACs. I thought that I should post the links here too for the benefit of other members who could also be in the same state of counfusion in deciding between the two.

Review:
Beresford 7510 Beresford TC-7510 CD player review - from the experts at whathifi.com
Beresford 7520 / Caiman Beresford Caiman CD player review - from the experts at whathifi.com
CA Dac Magic Cambridge Audio DacMagic CD player review - from the experts at whathifi.com

Discussion:
Difference between 7520 and DAC Magic : What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision - Beresford TC-7520 vs. DAC Magic: my findings so far

Difference Between Beresford and DAC Magic : What Hi-Fi? Sound and Vision - Beresford DAC versus Cambridge Audio Dacmagic anyone ?

Hi,

Do any of you know if the beresford caiman supports 96Khz/24bit audio that you can purchase from hdtracks or Linn?

Thanks,
Sharad

Hi anm,

I have purchased the music streamer at around a 100 us it is now on its way to india. I think I will be able to lay my hands on it soon. If it performs near about anything written about it then it will worth its price

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back