Which brand should I buy?

prem

Nelson Pass has a great sentence in his manuals - "Our real customers care most about the experience they get when they sit down to listen to their music. We create amplifiers that we like to listen to, on the assumption that we share similar taste”

Above line sums it up very well. One should always try and identify amp and speaker designers whose listening taste kind of mirrors yours.

Nelson Pass has a great sentence in his manuals - "Our real customers care most about the experience they get when they sit down to listen to their music. We create amplifiers that we like to listen to, on the assumption that we share similar taste”

Above line sums it up very well. One should always try and identify amp and speaker designers whose listening taste kind of mirrors yours.

I think one has to somehow trust the manufacturer that the quality he is giving is actually good for you. This trust can come from many things such as knowledge, even personal behaviour like way of talking, its like trusting anyone else. Once you have a trust, you will like that product.

I think one has to somehow trust the manufacturer that the quality he is giving is actually good for you. This trust can come from many things such as knowledge, even personal behaviour like way of talking, its like trusting anyone else. Once you have a trust, you will like that product.

I think Prem is referring to sound preference/taste of the designer. One has to ensure that matches one’s own. And not about trust. Two designers can be equally trustable, but have vastly different design philosophies resulting in very different sound signature. The ongoing thread comparing different LS3/5A models kind of exemplifies this - the three speakers despite being loosely based on the same generic template are quite different in sound - one would hardly doubt any of them lacks in trustworthiness.

I think Prem is referring to sound preference/taste of the designer. One has to ensure that matches one’s own. And not about trust. Two designers can be equally trustable, but have vastly different design philosophies resulting in very different sound signature. The ongoing thread comparing different LS3/5A models kind of exemplifies this - the three speakers despite being loosely based on the same generic template are quite different in sound - one would hardly doubt any of them lacks in trustworthiness.

You are absolutely right, what i meant was to try and judge if the mindset of the designer relates to the customer, i mean normally like minded people will have better probability of like philosophies and maybe like tastes as well, maybe trust was the wrong word i used in that sense.

I don’t think there is any relation between like minded people having similar listening tastes.

the probability of having similar tastes should be better in like minded people isnt it.

’Like-minded‘ is too broad a term and can mean anything. Therefore begs the question - ‘Like-minded in what?’. For example two persons can be like-minded on political ideology, but vastly differ in their sartorial or gustatory preferences. What matters here is like-mindedness in terms of sound preference and/or audio system/equipment design philosophy.

@prem, can you list down a few questiins you’d ask a designer to understand their sound taste?

I don’t really ask questions as such. I tell him what I have owned, what I liked, what is rest of my components, what kind of music I listen to, etc. Many times I actually end up exchanging 20-30 mails. Simultaneously I also write to reviewers who have reviewed his equipment and users who use it. It’s normally a 6-9 month exercise. Only if I am comfortable after all this do I go ahead with the purchase. I don’t ask any technical questions.

I also try and understand what is the rest of his equipment, what cables he uses, what isolation, etc. If I decide to buy his stuff, then I go ahead and buy the same brand of cables he uses and also the isolation stands he uses. I do not double guess.

Last edited:
One should always try and identify amp and speaker designers whose listening taste kind of mirrors yours.
If buying blind, yes, it makes absolute sense.
the probability of having similar tastes should be better in like minded people isnt it.
Why should it be more probable? It's like saying the probability is more of like minded people liking the same type of clothes or food.

Why should it be more probable? It's like saying the probability is more of like minded people liking the same type of clothes or food.

Thats inherent in the meaning, thats why they are like minded isnt it? Otherwise no person is like minded to some other.

Thats inherent in the meaning, thats why they are like minded isnt it? Otherwise no person is like minded to some other.
No, that's not why they are like minded. What you are referring to are people with similar taste but they may have (or not have) similar minds. Different animals, both.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back