Which cement for slab

Second floor is much more risky, esp. if its the top floor.

National building code prohibits basement usage as residential purposes. Only commercial, parking, storage, machinery set up etc are allowed. And I am not sure if basement can be used for Home Bar. So pls check and in case it is allowed, make a sophisticated wine bar rather than a hometheatre in your basement.
Is this applicable to a standalone house or only for multistorey buildings. AFAIK, 4 floors and above are defined as a building.

Basement is not allowed for residential purpose whether it is an apartment , commercial complex or ownhouse because of risk to life in case of flood, fire, earthquake etc.

Basement is not allowed for residential purpose whether it is an apartment , commercial complex or ownhouse because of risk to life in case of flood, fire, earthquake etc.
Can you share me a link/document of the building code? I currently live in a gated community with an approved plan which includes a basement for residential purpose. So would want to verify the same.

The code is a public document available for free download but it is voluminous and its interpretation at State or Municipal or City Development authority varies. But in no way a basement can be legally used for residential purposes. In some Metros business activities are not allowed and under stringent conditions few activities are allowed taking care of safety regulations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello friends,

Need an advise. we are going to cast slab for second floor in my house. there are many special water repellent cements in market (acc gold, Ambuja plus etc) which are little costly and as per companies are better for slabs. so it’s becoming a question of confusion whether we should go with normal cement + waterproofing chemical or use these special water repellent cements for roof slab. the question is that if a cement is water repellent then how will curing occur properly. Please advise if some has any personal experience with these cements And what approach will be better. thanks.
Better to go with branded cements and nowadays most builders use RMC for slabs which are more uniform and mixed throughly. Grasim has RMC plants in most metro's and would be available.

Hello friends,

Need an advise. we are going to cast slab for second floor in my house. there are many special water repellent cements in market (acc gold, Ambuja plus etc) which are little costly and as per companies are better for slabs. so it’s becoming a question of confusion whether we should go with normal cement + waterproofing chemical or use these special water repellent cements for roof slab. the question is that if a cement is water repellent then how will curing occur properly. Please advise if some has any personal experience with these cements And what approach will be better. thanks.
If the volume is more ,Better to get concrete from nearby RMC .M25 grade may be sufficient .
The important thing is how good u place and compact the concrete .
Provide a proper gentle slope while finishing so that the rain water gets discharged out of Terrace.
Ask the contractor to use vibrator for proper compaction of concrete.
Once the concreting process gets finished ,after few hours the water from concrete starts bleeding out ,watch it and do secondary finish using a wooden float ,so that shrinkage cracks gets eliminated.

Do proper curing using water ( better will be ponding method).
After this you can do weathering tiles / water proofing over the slab if required.
If the above points are taken care ,i.e.,
properly placement and compaction of concrete ,then chances of water leakages will be eliminated.

Use either flyash based cement (PPC) or slag based cement (PSC) which is good in durability point of view.
Water repellent cements are costly comparitively and may not be required IMO. Good luck.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back