Which dumbphone?

koushikp

Having been heavily into smartphones for the last 5 years I realized while trying to buy a dumbphone recently (and after buying one) I realized I have no idea about the current breed and have no patience to do research..hoping some of the fms here might be able to help..my limited requirements are:

1. Good battery life (primary reason of buying a dumbphone)
2. Qwerty keyboard
3. Threaded sms
4. Unlimited contact book capacity.
5. No budget, but want to spend as little as possible.

Cheers!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk

Thats not qwerty, and I have looked at the asha range, does it have unlimited contacts? thats a must for me.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Why a dumbphone at all? cost?

Although I am using a smart phone, I too think that most of the times a dumb phone is the best option. Reasons:

- long battery life
- louder tones/rings
- easy buttons
- less worry about getting lost or stolen
- fits in pocket easily
- light and handy

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

samsung chat... can't recall if it has threaded sms

Asha 302
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_asha_302-4546.php

I actually bought samsung chat 3222 thinking that it has threaded sms now seeing it doesn't..the idiot at the mobile store didn't know..

And why a dumbphone...most things that just4kix said..primarily better battery life, I am tired of keeping the charge on at the end of a long day out of town to make sure I receive the meru cabwallah's phone call when I land back in mumbai..the galaxy S that I have has a lot of trouble lasting a 16 hour day...

+1 for real phones. Don't need a camera or a music player or a gaming machine or an entertainment center. Give me something that is sturdy, well designed, functional and doesn't hog power.

When friends laugh at my aging Nokia, I just drop it on the floor from 1 meter height (carpeted office floor) and ask them to do the same to their fancy new shiny thing :)

^^ hehehe ... you are like me! I still use a 2007 very basic black colour Samsung .... no cam, big directory, FM (yes) and a long battery life ... close to 4 days with moderate usage. Drpped it on hard uncarpeted floors, God knows how many instances ... NO damages ever ... still going strong!

Nokia 1280. Dumbest available phone with smartest features as radio and 3.5mm jack. :lol: Black n white display.

Battery life 6 days. Standby time 21days (tested myself) and the best ever ergonomic keypad and network reception.

I'm extremely tempted to pull the trigger on this one for my personal phone:

John's Phone: World's simplest mobile phone only lets you make calls | Mail Online

However, I am not 100% sure I can do without texting. I am on the lookout for a 'NOS' Ericsson T28 though...

From the description:

so John's Phone is for when the rest of the world does not matter.'

Loved it :))

The design looks awesome. I am willing to pay more money for good design. Just not interested in buying overpriced flimsy phones with *features* designed to appeal to 17 year old kids. I would have bought John's phone if it had a few lines of alphanumeric display (for text and caller id) and an electronic address book.

Last edited:
I think its a good thread to troll about Nokia sturdyness.

Nothing can match Nokia. For sturdyness here is an example -
My Nokia 5800 was accidentally dropped when it was kept in my jerkin pocket. I was riding on bike, and just after I accelerated from traffic signal, it dropped from my pocket onto the middle of tar road.

Till I realized what happened, I had travelled some 50ft. I breaked hard, pulled over. In middle of the road, I could see my phone lying. Some two wheeler went over it(I could figure that out because LCD broke and all lines converged to a line at edge of screen which was turned into crushed glass). I collected its pieces, back cover, battery and touchscreen, all were scattered on road in 10 feet circle.

After collecting them back. I tried to boot it up. No surprizes here. It booted as usual, no delay, as if nothing happened. My homescreen was back. LCD screen was broken, but I could see some 20% display. I could dial and recieve calls. Radio was intact, camera worked. Resistive touchscreen was as sensitive (or insensitive) as before. It was almost like nothing happened to it.

Went to service center and got LCD replaced within 30min. Phone was 2years old already. But they still had the LCD. Everything is working fine after that for last 3.5 years.

Many such examples could be sighted. Another was when my friend dropped Nokia from 20 feet in water of lake. He was on bridge like structure. He went down, picked up the working phone with working screen in water! Nothing happened to phone except dive.

You can also watch gorilla glass in newer Nokia used as hammer to hit nail in wooden plank!

5800 is horrible phone otherwise but I bet for any Nokia considering the requirement. And yes, my symbian based phone has unlimited contacts(so would Ashs series in presume)
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia-phones-1.php

Pick any with QWERTY.

http://www.gsmarena.com/search.php3

Last edited:
^^ hehehe ... you are like me! I still use a 2007 very basic black colour Samsung .... no cam, big directory, FM (yes) and a long battery life ... close to 4 days with moderate usage. Drpped it on hard uncarpeted floors, God knows how many instances ... NO damages ever ... still going strong!

I've got one year on you! :eek:hyeah:

563967_10151245835047262_2100825917_n.jpg

i have a s3 and x1-01.. and love the x1-01 more .. its a no pain phone...

get one.. if qwerty needed and less budget get a X2-01 .. around 3.5k ish i guess with a basic cam and good screen

+1 for the thread.
I HATE the trend of carrying a notebook sized phone - whatever happened to the miniaturization of electronics?

+1 for the thread.
I HATE the trend of carrying a notebook sized phone - whatever happened to the miniaturization of electronics?

the bigger ones make u carry , laptop alike device -- no laptop needed that is the benefit.

u need or not that is a 2nd case

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back