Which DVD Player plays the best with defective DVDs ?

deba

Dear All,

Which DVD Player (Make and model) plays the best with scratched DVDs and CDs.I have a old Sony DVD Player but it stops the moment it encounters even a very small scratch on the disc. Kindly suggest.

Thanks.

Try Pioneer Players , but surprisingly all the local players plays all the scratched disc better then the branded players. But you have to compromise on the qulaity.

You should try the 'Chapaathi' player. Forgot the brand and model number (I think it is Philips), but it is supposed to play all discs of any quality.

Cheers

If you have a scratched DVD, then I guess, in all probability you own it. I would suggest making a copy of the original via a DVD Writer, which is fine only if you are the owner of the DVD. There are several tools available for backing up DVD's; DVD-R's are very cheap and won't damage your player too.

Onida makes DVDp which plays scratched DVDs.(to some limit)
I am using Onida7100 which reads scratched Discs without hitch most of times.
But be aware,new Onida series has some issues(durabilities)

Dear All,

Which DVD Player (Make and model) plays the best with scratched DVDs and CDs.I have a old Sony DVD Player but it stops the moment it encounters even a very small scratch on the disc. Kindly suggest.

Thanks.
its true Sony DVD players have a problem but I have been using a sony DVPNS575P model for the last 4 years, it has played almost everything...scratched, computer copied...other regions with out any problems..

I have been using samsung dvd players for some years, hasnt cribbed about any disc so far.

There was on dvd (bought from national market), which I was not able to play anywhere, tried some 5-6 different dvd player. Finally I put it in my computer, and it played without a hitch, it has an LG dvd writer. I copied it to a dvd-r and that played fine on all the machines where it had been refused earlier.

Please someone compare Oppo 980 vs Pioneer DV-610AV in terms of playing scratch discs

This is a strange question. I don't understand why you are all looking for players that can play defective media. No player in the world can play a defective disc, or extract data that is not readable.

Most players have the mechanism by which, when they hit a bad track, they make a few attempts and then move forward. If the damage to the disc is bad, most players will just stop working.

I have tried the same disc which has troubled me on both the Pioneer 610 and the Oppo 983. Both stop at the same track. The only difference is the time taken to skip forward. The Pioneer is faster, while the Oppo stubbornly keeps trying for a longer time.

If you want to enjoy moves and make sure your equipment, is in good order, do NOT use defective medium. Please check the disc visually. Make sure there are no hand prints, dust, or other smudges. Clean the disc. If you see many scratches, I will just throw the disc away rather than spoil my equipment.

You can always get a good copy or spend a few hundred more to get a better print. Why destroy your equipment?

As I said, I find this question strange and I don't understand the objective. The Chappathi player and other advertisements by people like Onida are advertisements gimmicks and nothing more.

Cheers

Thanks venkat sir,

I truly understand what you are saying.But actually the reason behind asking this question is the problem faced by many of us where the same disc is not playing on a Sony DVD player but plays fine on a Philips DVD player.So wanted to get a comparision :)

Thanks venkat sir,

I truly understand what you are saying.But actually the reason behind asking this question is the problem faced by many of us where the same disc is not playing on a Sony DVD player but plays fine on a Philips DVD player.So wanted to get a comparision :)

Sony players refuses pirated Discs.

Problem is when your DVDs get scratched accidentally and it contains some very vital recording which you cannot afford to throw or even making a copy from the defective disc becomes impossible thats when you really need a player which can play your scratched disc.......:)

Most of the budget Philips DVDP do a good job with scratched media (though not badly scratched ones) and are very adept at handling all formats and on all types of media too. I've two budget Philips DVDP and both perform better than the "expensive" Sony DVDP that I have.

all dvd players play scratched dvds. it all depends on the condition of the lens. an older dvd player will obviously be less competent to play defective dvds than a newer one.

solution is to clean the dvd player lens regularly with a lens cleaner.

Problem is when your DVDs get scratched accidentally and it contains some very vital recording which you cannot afford to throw or even making a copy from the defective disc becomes impossible thats when you really need a player which can play your scratched disc.......:)

You can recover marginally scratched DVDs with the use of petrolium jelly application on surface(Disc)

Well, I've got the Oppo 981 which has been able to handle even heavily scratched discs( borrowed from a video library) w/o probs so far.
Re the Pioneer, Venkat owns one, he'll be able to give you an input.

One of the things that I have heard to fix scratched disks is to use furniture wax on a lint free cloth and rub it outwards from the center. I have not tried this personally but have read a few times. Worth trying with a sample. or it could be an urban legend.

One of the things that I have heard to fix scratched disks is to use furniture wax on a lint free cloth and rub it outwards from the center. I have not tried this personally but have read a few times. Worth trying with a sample. or it could be an urban legend.

I have tried the same with Brasso.(Read from computer magazine) and was successful a couple of times.Immediately make a copy and proceed.:).

Some recommend even toothpaste !...for the same purpose!

"lint free cloth" and "rub it outwards from the center".This is emphasized by most.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back