Which gigabit switch to buy

rahulsnh

After reading reviews about gigabit switches, I wish that I could buy HP Procurve 1410-8G (70 USD on Amazon). Unfortunately, it is not sold in India. And reviews about most of the brands sold in India have go bad reviews. I'm lost, so if you have a good experience with one pls recommend it to me. TIA! :)

I have this one (bought from Amazon)

Amazon.com: D-Link DGS-2208 8-Port 10/100/1000 Desktop Switch: Electronics

and this one (bought in S P road)

Amazon.com: NETGEAR GS608NA Giga Switch 8Port: Electronics

I have used both at home (2-3 devices) and they did the job. Don't remember any of them being faster than the other. Both claim wire-speed switching (16 Gb total switching capacity) but I haven't tested for such high speeds. Haven't tested for jumbo frames or speeds with a mix of 100M and 1000M ports.

EDIT: Just checked the Netgear's box. Supports jumbo frames up to 9720 bytes.

Last edited:
if you are looking for an unmanaged switch you can take a look at the DLINK DGS-1008D. It is available in india. Try ebuy etc. If you are looking for anything more than 8 ports then I would advise you to get the 24 port managed switches as it would help in the long run. The TP LINK has some 5 port gigabit switches as well.
Other option is get N series wireless routers with Gigabit switch backplane. Quite a few available. Based on your requirements there are quite a few options..

Why do you guys need gigabyte switches? I can very easily remember whole offices functioning very well on 10Mb ethernet, unswitched.

What do you use that crazy bandwidth for? Video? Does it need it?

Good question :)
Yes HD video streaming is the requirement! My requirement is just a couple of ports for now but future-proofing with 8 ports. Unmanaged switch with gigabit backplane 2Gbps*ports. One which supports jumbo packets.

In particular I've very bad experience with Netgear product WGR-series bg router. It used to hang after few hours with default 200 torrent threads even when DHT was disabled. Firmware update didn't help. Later I found that it was a very laughed-upon router on forums. Since then I'm circumspect. A couple of years back I had replaced it with Cisco E3000 wifi-router with gigabit backplane and CAT6 cabling. I've been concerned about bombarding my home with radio all the time. I realize that since few months the wifi is on most of the time. It is just stupid that one can't turn off the radio on E3000 and have it work as wired-switch only. So much to being circumspect :p

But a DVD only has a capacity of about 5GB :confused:

I'm not only genuinely puzzled by this, I'm also ignorant. I'm not even a TV man, let alone a movie man, so I really don't know the bandwidths involved --- but I'm just amazed that anyone needs to shift Gb/sec around their house.

On the side topic: I can remember people worrying about the radio frequencies passing through our bodies even before the mobile phone got invented. I'm afraid that battle is long since lost :sad:

A DVD streaming over the network requires comparatively lesser bandwidth than say Blu Ray content or even certain Blu Ray rips. I have genuinely felt the need for it.

I currently have a Beetel wireless modem (the default that Airtel provides for their IPTV ). This one has only 100 Mbps switch ports and some parts of certain HD videos stutter. I too, am looking for an upgrade to something with Gigabit Ethernet switch ports.

Generally, Ethernet switches thoritically offer at max (100 mega bit per sec) around 12.5 Megabytes per second. In reality due to other factors this comes down to 10 or 11 Mega bytes per second. If you are looking at streaming a 20 GB - 25 GB Rip Movie then this bandwidth is more than sufficient. However if you go higher than this then there comes a "May or may not" situation to avoid which one should be better off with a gigabit switch having theoritical speeds of 1000 Mega bits per second which is around 125 Megabits per second. In reality even with losses it may come down to 100 / 110 Mega bits per second.

But here is the catch again, you may use cat5 / cat5e cables for connecting other devices at gigabit speeds if the lengths of these wires is less than 3 to 4 metres each to ensure than those wores are eveb supporting gigabit. Beyond than there is another type Cat5e+ (I use this) that will allow you to get gigabit speeds over longer distance. For ultimate interference free transfer you can use cat6 or above but of course at extra price.

I think gigabit switches is the way to go since nowadays even normal usb portable HDDs give 30 Megabytes per sec + transfer speeds and some bigger 3.5 spinning hard disks give 60 - 70 Megabytes + per sec of read speed. Solid state drives give even higher yield. The point being if frequent file transfer over wired network is going to be done then ethernet will become bottleneck.

Btw, I am using the cheap 5 port TP-Link Gigabit switch and it is working fine for me for the last 6 months.

Hi Thad, I'll not dwell on the lost battle :) I would rather take a call based on personal experience. At work we have WiFi-RF-lab. Almost every colleague considers going into lab as the last resort. I have known colleagues who have changed their jobs after facing health issues. I have been concerned about it for a while and I would rather spend a hundred dollar than continue risking EM-exposure. As well if you find it interesting read "Breakout Nations" to figure out what happened in China due to EM-exposure from Maglev. I'm not saying that one should not use Wi-Fi (for one I've not quit my job). For that matter walking in sun means EM-exposure. But yes there is merit in turning it off when not required esp. since wired connection gives much better bandwidth at much lower expense. Even with gigabit backplane on my router a WiFi to TV will not help if I want to watch from a BD. Moreover, sometime in near future, I'll consider putting a NAS, HTPC, etc. Hence a good gigabit switch can be an asset. And as haisaikat explains a gigabit switch is still way less than Gigabyte/sec - from looks of it, we software engineers like confusing people with misnomers :)

we software engineers like confusing people with misnomers
Well, a Gigabit is 1/8th of a Gigabyte of course --- and all of us get our Bs and bs confused at some time :)

As to the "lost battle," it is interesting to see it raised again after all this time. I wonder if I should be concerned that my wifi router is about a metre away from my head.

If you guys notice anything weird about my posts....

What's that you say? They've always been weird?

:lol:

Not weird for me :) ... it is always good to get a critical perspective ... if at all, I find yes-men weird! And EM-exposure is not about brain alone no organ likes a sustained exposure ;)

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back