Which HD TV? For Viewing SD - Cable / Tata Sky.

jagdish_p

Hi all,
I plan to buy a Full HD TV in the size range of 42 to 50.

Placement is in a Living room 18 X 20. Viewing distance is flexible from 10 to 15.
Budget Flexible.
My shortlisted TVs with approximate cost in Hyderabad.

a) Panasonic 42 G10 68K
b) Sony -KLV-46W450A or KLV-46W550A -120K This is stretching my budget.
c) Samsung - LA46B 650T1R Series 6 90 K
d) Samsung - PS50B 550 Series 5 90 K

Queries:

1) My concern is about viewing SD content on a HD TV. I have read in a discussion that this may affect the PQ if the upscaling software is not good. So what is the best option?

2) I will stretch and go for a Sony if the Bravia Engine really makes a significant difference in PQ. If so which model of Sony is better? 450A has CCFL lamp against CFL in 550 A. At the same time 550A has the advantage of having Bravia Engine 3 vs. BE2 in 450A.
3) Does the LCD screen have an edge over Plasma in a living room lighted with tube lights scenario?

Sorry about so many queries but I am really confused after visiting and listening to a number of salesmen who seem to be pushing LCD screens of their favorite brands. None were pushing Plasmas!!
Thanks in advance

Hi all,

Placement is in a Living room 18 X 20. Viewing distance is flexible from 10 to 15.
Budget Flexible.

a) Panasonic 42 G10 68K

Queries:

1) My concern is about viewing SD content on a HD TV. I have read in a discussion that this may affect the PQ if the upscaling software is not good. So what is the best option?

2) I will stretch and go for a Sony if the Bravia Engine really makes a significant difference in PQ. If so which model of Sony is better? 450A has CCFL lamp against CFL in 550 A. At the same time 550A has the advantage of having Bravia Engine 3 vs. BE2 in 450A.
3) Does the LCD screen have an edge over Plasma in a living room lighted with tube lights scenario?

Sorry about so many queries but I am really confused after visiting and listening to a number of salesmen who seem to be pushing LCD screens of their favorite brands. None were pushing Plasmas!!
Thanks in advance
Go for Panasonic 42 G10 68K. I have One and it rocks :clapping:.

Thank you Bisen. Yes I agree with you that the the Panasonic is the best VFM option. However I would be happier with a 46" screen and am confused.
Request more comments from other friends in the forum.

Hi all,

Budget Flexible.

a) Panasonic 42 G10 68K

Queries:

Thanks in advance

well from ur viewing distance is around 15feet u can go for a 46inch lcd or a 50inch plasma.
as far as SD content sony BE3>samsung>panasonic.
the W450A has a WC-CCFL but has a older panel and BE2 where as the W550A has the CCFL but has a newer panel and BE3,i would take the BE3 over WC-CCFL anyday.
so i would narrow it to samsung B650 and the 550 plasma,the sony although better in SD is worth if u buy it in the grey market where its cheaper by atleast by around 10 to 15k.

For that viewing distance you might find the 42 inch option small. You will definitely be better off with the 46 inch LCD or the 50 inch plasma.
LCDs are indeed well suited for bright/well lit rooms and you will find the plasma pictures dimmer than the LCD ones( seemingly washed out pictures). Relatedly please do note that the b650 LCD has a glossy screen which some people may not like under bright conditions
For SD yes the Sony is slightly better than the samsung but i don't think it justifies the additional 30k tag on it.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back