Which is the Best sound system I can get under 60k

Jayann

Friends, I request your expert advice in buying a good sound system under 60k.

Expected usage of sound system are...
- Movies 30%
- Airtel digital TV 30%
- Music 30%
- PS3 Gaming 10%

Existing Gadgets I have which I would like to connected... (If possible)
- 46" Sony LED
- PS3 console
- Sony 3 hi-if system with 3 DVD Changer.

Where exactly it is going to be placed...
- Drawing room. Size around 14'x18'
- I have space for a good woofer / tower speakers.

Ambitions are...
- I would prefer absolute clear sound with good base quality.
- Upgradable if required. I can spend around 30k after 2month if it brings contrasting difference in experience.
- By profession I am an artist and there for design quality of the system is very important for me. I personally do not prefer very bulky over designed speakers... I would go with classy and powerful.

Questions I have...
- Do I require a receiver?
- Do my PS3 can be connected on the system directly?
- Do I need to by a separate DVD system or my existing system is enough?

Thanks friends.

Last edited:
Hi Jayann,

It looks like you may prefer a 5.1 or 7.1 system over a Stereo system. Did you check out the Onkyo Home Theatre systems. They package a receiver the speakers and a sub. They have a decent feature rich 7.1 system for around Rs 50 - 60k which I heard some months ago, I don't remember the model number though.

Or you can build your own system. Look at receivers from Yamaha, Onkyo or Denon for around Rs 30 - 35k.

You can start with 2 speakers, later add a sub, a center and surround speakers in that order. Wharfedale Diamond could be a good option for you. Do read up the forums for more speaker options.

You can connect your PS3 to the receiver using a HDMI cable. You can think of upgrading to a better Bluray Player at a later time.

Friends, I request your expert advice in buying a good sound system under 60k.

Expected usage of sound system are...
- Movies 30%
- Airtel digital TV 30%
- Music 30%
- PS3 Gaming 10%

Existing Gadgets I have which I would like to connected... (If possible)
- 46" Sony LED
- PS3 console
- Sony 3 hi-if system with 3 DVD Changer.

Where exactly it is going to be placed...
- Drawing room. Size around 14'x18'
- I have space for a good woofer / tower speakers.

Ambitions are...
- I would prefer absolute clear sound with good base quality.
- Upgradable if required. I can spend around 30k after 2month if it brings contrasting difference in experience.
- By profession I am an artist and there for design quality of the system is very important for me. I personally do not prefer very bulky over designed speakers... I would go with classy and powerful.

Questions I have...
- Do I require a receiver?
- Do my PS3 can be connected on the system directly?
- Do I need to by a separate DVD system or my existing system is enough?

Thanks friends.

I actually think the question you should ask yourself is - what kind of speaker setup would be good for you? You mention you want absolutely clear sound but you also mention you would be watching a significant amount of TV and movies. This means you want clear sound for movies - voices and special effects.

Honestly, I will repeat what everyone normally says, which is that you should listen to a few good systems to discover the kind of speakers you would like. I think at your price point, the receiver or amp will be less important than the speakers or the the type of speaker setup (sat-sub vs floorstanders vs bookshelves).

You also mentioned that you want your system to be versatile and offer you an upgrade path. One configuration you could start with would be a pair of bookshelf speakers (say, Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 or 10.1) paired with a good quality sub-woofer. The subwoofer would ensure adequate bass (and good special effects in movies), and the bookshelves would give you clarity at a decent price point. Quality subs are expensive but it would be worth it. As future upgrade options - you can add more satellite speakers to make it true surround (although I've always felt it to be overrated personally) or you could upgrade your speakers at a later date if you want to further improve the quality of the sound (especially for music).

If you are going this route, I would also recommend good quality (heavy) stands for bookshelves. I believe one of the forum members, magma, sells very good quality stands through his company, Soundfoundation, at very good prices.

At this price point, many entry level tower speakers sound muddy in my experience. Plus, it will eat up most of your budget and will give you less options to upgrade or tweak later. You might be better off getting a component that does one thing but does it right.

Just some thoughts.

think so, You might be better off getting a component that does one thing but does it right.thanks
13.gif

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back