Which NAS for 24/192 flac streaming ?

Shivam

I am planning to buy a NAS. I can't afford an expensive model and so I am considering the offerings from Buffalo and Netgear.

Any suggestions regarding which one to opt for ?

I don't think a NAS will be too finicky about whether what it's streaming is hi-res or not :p

What I mean is that basically any half-decent NAS should be able to stream 24/192, especially in a wired scenario.

Buying a NAS setup can be pretty costly. If you can manage it, and if you have an OLD PC with you that you can repurpose, building a file server/NAS yourself might be far cheaper, easier to upgrade, and a lot of fun . This is a very nice thread that will help: http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater-pc-htpc-media-pc/20232-sam9s-nas-project-powered-unraid.html

If you don't have the hard disks with you already, this is a bad time to be building a multi-disk storage solution. HDD prices are still pretty insane, and should come down only by Q3.

Last edited:
I agree with hydra.

Shivam what is your music player for which you require NAS and cannot manage with USB drives? My point is that if you at all buy any NAS (enclosure) then buy one with useful feature sets like timed power up / power down (for scheduled downloads), built in DLNA and UPnP servers, additional USB disk sharing, USB Print Server (if you have a USB printer), DDNS, FTP servers, etc. If you buy one without some of these essential features and later on realize that those are your necessities then you will repent. So better buy a good one than a standby one.

I saw the NAS project thread.
The price is good if one wants to go for 4TB or higher capacities.
I need NAS only for music and no movies !!
I thought it better to buy a small box and simply plug it it. Buffalo and Netgear have NAS offerings costing around Rs. 10K. I already have a couple of 1TB hard disks and so they seemed like a good option.

I agree with hydra.

Shivam what is your music player for which you require NAS and cannot manage with USB drives?

I am planning to opt for Linn Akurate DS player. (No USB)
Second option is Musical Fidelity M1 Clic (which has USB but supports only FAT/FAT32 drives !!!)

Best for you. Look for an older qnap ts109 on Ebay.com sells for 100$. All inclusive, it will be the beat bang for your buck. It has a single hdd slot so works best.
Tapatalk ka jalwa !!!

Under 10K for a pre-built and configured setup sounds decent for your purpose.

I just saw the Netgear offering on eBay. That much for 8.8K will be hard to beat, unless you have an old PC that's ready to go under the knife.

Under 10K for a pre-built and configured setup sounds decent for your purpose.

I just saw the Netgear offering on eBay. That much for 8.8K will be hard to beat, unless you have an old PC that's ready to go under the knife.

Thanks. Did a quick search on ebay.in and found the NAS. Seems like a good option.

Just research the Stora a bit before buying-it is not as feature rich as their Duo, which is a bit more expensive.

I am planning to check intensively. I'll take my streaming player to the shop too to compare the connectivity to various offerings.

I am planning to opt for Linn Akurate DS player. (No USB)
Second option is Musical Fidelity M1 Clic (which has USB but supports only FAT/FAT32 drives !!!)

How much is the DS going to cost you ? This uses the ethernet right ? A nas is a good idea with this ?

If I am not wrong, the DS is a player - DAC - preamp combo right ?

Check for torrent download capability and HTTP download capability. Also in some Nokia phone s you have a remote drive feature which can usually map spaces that are shared using WebDav protocol so this support as well you can check.

How much is the DS going to cost you ? This uses the ethernet right ? A nas is a good idea with this ?

If I am not wrong, the DS is a player - DAC - preamp combo right ?

Sent a PM.

They both use ethernet and wifi. NAS is the best way to stream music with these.

Both the models are player-dac-preamp combo but they work well as a streaming player. In my opinion if going for a DAC or preamp, there are better options available for the same price.

I have a Goflex home NAS 2TB, which is around 10.5k on letsbuy.com, it has the same OS which is on netgear ( OpenStora). It has dlna, bourjour for apple devices, maps to linux and windows machins, torrents. It was 7.5 k before the thailand floods and I bought it then.

Very cheap and good option. Additionally you can root it to install debian or ARM linux and even run squeezebox off it.

and yes it can stream 24/96 flac which I usually do.

It seems Buffalo has its operating system on one of its drive and not on ROM.

Opting for Netgear ReadyNAS now.

Seagate 2TB Home NAS you can get from Snapdeal at 9999/-. Thats the cheapest source.

But they take their own sweet time to ship. I ordered on 17th Feb and it got delivered today in my office... after 3-4 follow-ups and pushing them on FB group...

500/- or 10days extra wait... your call :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back