Which NAS should I choose?

preston8452

Hi guys,

It's just sorta a general wondering, so recently I've been thinking about purchasing a NAS for audio storage and stuff, I used to just simply store music with USB, but I read some articles about NAS, it seems to me that most audiophiles possess one to cooperate with their Hi-Fi gear at home, so maybe it does help further improve the sound quality(?

As you all may know, there are several brands of NAS out there, which one is the best fit for me as a NAS newbie haha? Synology and QNAP are quite popular I suppose, but what about others, what's the difference?

If you can also kindly share what's your system(like what device you use to connect to NAS) with me, that'd certainly be a great reference to me then.

Best,

I have a 10TB DIY NAS built on NAS4free. Its built using old PC with Xenon Quad processor. 1 gigabit connection, and works headless.

Last edited:
I have a QNAP NAS

Quite happy with it.

I prefer to choose Asustor series with HDMI port, so it can be directly streamed to TV or with splitter to amplifer or to projector. It has multiple apps in itz play store to use.

I am using 604T for the last 4 years with no issues.

Regards

I am using Synology NAS for 8-10 yrs and very happy with it. It has a lot of support for older models as well as is well supported in all devices and its universe is well supported by third party apps.

I wrote a detailed answer to a similar question here

for you, if you want video streaming, then as suggested by @srinisundar, go for Asustor. If you don't care about that part, or if you don't want to place the NAS close to your TV, then you're free to choose from any of the brands.

And as for sound quality, I know there are people who will vehemently disagree, but NAS is just a storage medium and it's not going to affect the sound quality. A NAS is used so that you can remove the dependency on a single device/storage media for your playback needs. You'll be able to stream to any device on your home as long as it has wi-fi or ethernet. You can even make your music accessible remotely, if you want to stream during your commute or vacation. Those are the reasons for using a NAS.

P.S.: for detractors, unless you have an objective evidence of a NAS' impact on sound quality, please do not turn this thread into a battlefield. My primary objective is to show the advantages of NAS over USB and I do not intend to debate on sound quality.

so maybe it does help further improve the sound quality(?

First let me say have a 4-bay Western Digital (PR4100) NAS. The NAS holds up to 40TB (4 x 10TB drives). I'm running mine with four Western Digital Red Pro drives (6TB each). With that...

Other than the snake oil salesman telling you so, there is no "improved" sound quality to be gained by having music files placed on a NAS. This is like saying dark plastics CD sleeves make CD's sound better than those with clear sleeves.... snake oil.

With that...

What a NAS (Network Attached Storage) does do is allow you to access your files placed on the NAS via the network or internet.

I'm running my NAS in RAID 10 (1+0) at the cost of storage - only 10.6 TB is usable storage. The advantage of running in RAID 10 is redundancy (built in backup) and speed performance. The negative is loss of storage space as RAID 10 requires at least 4 drives where 2 are backup (redundancy). So... 4 x 6TB drives = 24TB, but because 2 of the drives are for redundancy, that halves the storage space to 12TB (10.6 usable).

Do you need RAID or even RAID 10?... no! It's simply a matter of choice and what you want to do. For me, I like both the comfort of redundancy and the increased drive performance (near SATA SSD speeds). That's me.

All that said... again, this doesn't make your music sound any better than on any other drive - RAID or not!!!

Anyway, I use my NAS as both backup and a music streamer using Plex.

Hope this helps :)

for you, if you want video streaming, then as suggested by @srinisundar, go for Asustor. If you don't care about that part, or if you don't want to place the NAS close to your TV, then you're free to choose from any of the brands.

And as for sound quality, I know there are people who will vehemently disagree, but NAS is just a storage medium and it's not going to affect the sound quality. A NAS is used so that you can remove the dependency on a single device/storage media for your playback needs. You'll be able to stream to any device on your home as long as it has wi-fi or ethernet. You can even make your music accessible remotely, if you want to stream during your commute or vacation. Those are the reasons for using a NAS.

P.S.: for detractors, unless you have an objective evidence of a NAS' impact on sound quality, please do not turn this thread into a battlefield. My primary objective is to show the advantages of NAS over USB and I do not intend to debate on sound quality.
Yes... U r right... There is nothing worry about the sound quality, since it does not have inbuilt amplifier and people are going to get the audio to a DAC or AVR or 2 Ch amplifer. So it does the work for improving the sound quality..

Plus it can be used as a personal streamer in cloud and the files can be accessed anywhere in the world plus you can host your own website plus blog..

Plenty of convenience with NAS.

Hi,

Using a Synology 2 bay 716+ii NAS (with RAID) for past 5 years without any issues. 1 HDD had to be changed after 4 years as it was showing bad sectors. Synology gave the warning to replace. Easy to setup and manage.

All media is stored on the NAS which is running a Plex Server. I use Nvidia Shield -> Denon AVR to access video content from NAS using Plex client. I use HEOS on my Denon AVRs to directly access music files from the NAS. I found that to be better sounding than playing music via Plex.

Everything is hard wired at home and only phones etc on wifi. Never faced any lags even if multiple people are accessing the NAS for playing movies etc from different rooms.

Also all laptops, phones automatically get backed up to the NAS so that’s an added advantage to avoid cloud storage subscription costs ! I am glad I made the investment in a NAS vs working of USB HDDs.

I have also been using Synology 4 Bay J series for last 8 years. Started with DS413J which finally died last year and moved to DS420J. The ready to use feature available for Synology OS are unbeatable and I don't think I would be able to move to a different vendor device.

Your comments are on point! Hat Tip. 🙏
I would like to add few more comments here (to make it more explicit):

1 Vendor lock in, is bad. Especially with your own data. Check which vendor has better support & community support. Disk failure can be dealt with, not enclosure failure.

2 If one chooses to use the same system for other purposes, one needs to have more know how. And, If not a prebuilt system with desired features ( desires and technology change) one has to spend upfront and then again if any unfortunate thing happens to the gear. Also, see point 1.

3 If you are not around your system should be accessible and configurable by your granny or she should be able to get someone to fix it. Read: retrieve data.

4. Internet access to NAS is strict no. If you know what you are doing you won't ask here.

5. Ease of use in context of adding more features as and when required (not desired) and the tade offs you wish to do. Consider all of above & quoted comments.

Next part is just added to provide credibility for above points:
I've worked with with most technogies "or" parent companies directly, discussed in this thread; varying from enterprise to FS/NW level. Or as just a user in enterprise or home environment.

About my home setup (storage and AV specific):
I don't have same brand of disks(or category) in same setup.
I try to keep minimal power utilisation
I try to keep components independent of each other.
I DO NOT use HW RAID, Software RAID, EXT, XFS, Razer , and all other stuff. (I know this is detrimental, but my kids / granny should be able to take the disk out and show photos / videos over USB). Even if, I'm all in tech and opensource only guy.

Got a Synology DS218J some 4 years back. Only for music, photos, home videos and documents backup.

Except for the streaming app from them. DS Audio drops out for no reason when playing music on my phone. DS Video does not play all videos. VLC does not locate it. Set it up as the music library for Win Media Player, ITunes etc. as a regular network storage

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back