Which of these DACs good for laptop?

Sorry :eek:

To be honest, I find these ideas and controversies, and chewing them over, almost as interesting as music :)

Oh, sure --- as long as it is a stereo headphone socket*. Some of the old machines had mono headphone sockets. What do get through earphones?

Headphone plug to 2 RCA plugs is a fairly standard adapter cable. A local gadget shop or electronic bits and pieces shop should be able to supply one, and a real cheap one will get you going.

I'd love to pop round with a bag of bits, but Pune is a bit too far, I'm afraid.

This is, obviously, not a line-level output. Turn the laptop volume down to nothing. Check with the headphones. Zero the pre-amp volume. Then you can connect to the amplifier. Turn the amp volume up to something reasonable, and then turn up the laptop volume slowly until you hear Music! :eek:hyeah:

Then twiddle the two volumes until you get the best result.

Beware of blasting full headphone volume into your pre-amp. I don't know for sure that it might do damage, but I really, really don't want you to be the person that tells me it does!

*even if it isn't, mono splitters are available (I use one with my small portable radio to feed the same signal to both ears), but, obviously, you didn't buy all that gear to listen to mono sound. Still, it's amazing what you can do. Years back, I used to play my real-cheap radio-alarm-clock through the stereo this way. Hardly a quality source, but the result is still way better than one-inch speaker in a small plastic box!

(

I do believe in audiophiles... And I do know that there are many members here with better ears and vastly more experience of of audio equipment.
)

Thanks again! :)

No, you need not be sorry we all are here to have some fun :) It is all a learning :)

Need to try out the headphone option sometime :)

I'm not really sure i understand what you're asking. If you are trying to get sound output via USB, just a cable will not do. It has to be fed into a DAC, and from the DAC to your Amplifier. The chain has to be like:

Laptop USB -> USB Cable -> USB DAC -> RCA Interconnect Cables -> Stereo Amplifier -> Speaker Cables -> Speakers

As Thad has suggested, you can use a 3.5mm stereo to RCA converter cable, but the issue that he's pointed out would be you're not getting line level signal.

This chain would be like:
Laptop Internal DAC -> Laptop Internal Amp -> 3.5mm to RCA Cable -> Stereo Amplifier -> Speaker Cables -> Speakers

As you can see, the signal gets amplified twice, once by the internal laptop amp and then by your speaker amp. This can lead to distortion at high volumes, though you should be OK at lower volumes. Ideally, you'd want to avoid double amplification if you can.

If your laptop can give a line level signal, then the internal amp would be eliminated from the signal path. Check your laptop manual, or eyeball its ports to see if any of them are marked as Line-Out.

Aha! Thanks for the inputs! :) This helps :)

This chain would be like:
Laptop Internal DAC -> Laptop Internal Amp -> 3.5mm to RCA Cable -> Stereo Amplifier -> Speaker Cables -> Speakers

So neither the laptop DAC nor its headphone amp will be doing much for your sound. Quite the contrary, in fact. But it will get sound out of the machine --- and, almost anything else you try next will be better :D

Hi,
I am exploring on options to use my laptop as a music source. (Dont have a CDP)

After reading some thread and googling following are some options..

USB DACS
AudioEngine D1
HRT music Streamer II
Nuforce UDAC II
Music Fidelity V-DAC MKII

For PC
ASUS Xonar ST
EIS Julie@
Can I somehow workaround and use it with the laptop using some "hack"/"operation" on my old laptop? ;)

Other options:
Emotiva XDA1 (advantage of remote.. would prefer one)

Since we are on it how does the Emotiva XDA1 compare to the Beresford Cayman?

Need to set a music source urgently so please help with your suggestions...!
I am using the M1 DAC from MF. It does a very good job . Moreover it has balanced connections in case you have plans to use these in the future.

On to the link you provided on double blind tests. I note that they ran the test once with some number of people picking one system or the other and concluded that because not everyone picked the better system no one can tell the difference. Now did it occur to these testers that perhaps the folks that picked the better system were the ones who have the gift of better hearing?

They would have done well to repeat the test with the same folks to see if there was a consistency on who chose the better system. But, instead they reached their preconcieved conclusion after one trial and ended their test. Sad and goes to my earlier statement that most engineers have no idea on the limits and flaws of their test. Sadder that many folks will read this and not discern the flaw.

Here is another link to some much better known testers but I'll provide a quote of interest from the article below (I know we started on digital, but cables are just as hotly contested so the analogy is equivalent):

Do It Yourself - Cables - Article: What audio cables are

And here is the quote:

Blind and independent testing conducted by Lee Gomes of the Wall Street Journal demonstrated that 61% of 39 people tested at an audio show could differentiate between low end and high end speaker cables. Lee Gomes remarked, "That may not be much of a margin for two products with such drastically different prices, but I was struck by how the best-informed people at the show -- like John Atkinson and Michael Fremer of Stereophile Magazine -- easily picked the expensive cable". However, in more rigorous tests performed under controlled circumstances listeners have not been able to prove there is any audible difference between high end and cheap cables

Now Michael Fermer and John Atkinson are well known in the high-end community and clearly showed an ability as per Lee Gomes remark. The later "rigorous tests" didn't include Michael and John so Michael and John become a statistical anomoly rather than, Hmmmm somthings going on here.
Another poor test where this Lee guy had no idea what he was dealing with.

Now, onto your quote that I included above. Dogs and bats can hear higher frequency range of sound. This has nothing directly to do with the ability discern nuances to sound. But onto the your point of electronic measurements being better than our ears.

So, here is a challange/contest for you.

You can instrument a room with any electronic equipment to sample the sound in a room. Setup your monitors/equipment in an adjacent sound sealed room. I will sit in the instrumented room, blindfolded. You sit in the adjacent sound sealed room looking at your scopes and what all.

We will have a musician or two come into the room I am in and play some acoustical instruments. Lets see who can more quickly discern what instruments are playing. Me using my ears or you using your scopes.

So please don't sell out our ears so quickly. Within the range of our hearing we can discern many more aspects of sound than test equipment can. Test equipment is fine for gross measurements like what is the frequency range and amplitude, etc.

Discerning what we are hearing is something we can all get better at. Just like playing a sport, you get better as you continue to play. We will all reach an ultimate different level due to natural ability (just like in sports). Good audiophiles spend time listening to live unamplified instruments. Just this past weekend I listened to a turkish jazz ensemble (trumpets trombones, saxs, bass, drums) in a small setting with no amplification. What I hear at a live unamplified concert allows me to objectively gauge and compare what I hear when listening to stereo. So it is incorrect for you to dismiss this as, as you put it "audiophoolery". Real sound is what you hear, by the way. :)

@OP, Sorry for the OT but can't resist.;)

(Without referring to the discussion) very well said.:thumbsup:

Hi,

USB DACS
AudioEngine D1
HRT music Streamer II
Nuforce UDAC II

For PC
ASUS Xonar ST
EIS Julie@
Can I somehow workaround and use it with the laptop using some "hack"/"operation" on my old laptop? ;)

Other options:

@rohitmusic... I've been searching for a DAC for my laptop. My laptop is a old sony vaio and its not having a hdmi or optical output.
So I needed some device to carry digital signal to my Yamaha A/V receiver. After a long research I found that the following DACs are having some limitations:
AudioEngine D1 - it sends 24bit/192khz output over RCA output. So it won't be able to carry my laptop's 5.1 sound.
Musical Fidelity V-DAC MKII - it sends 24 bit/96 khz output over S/PDIF output. However, there is another model from Musical Fidelity - V-DAC MKII, which sends 24 bit/192khz output over s/pdif. This could have been the best choice, but it requires external power and it's too costly.

My point is as I have burr-brown hi end DAC inbuilt in my Yamaha receiver then why should I invest so much money on an extra DAC. I just need a USB to S/PDIF converter instead.

I found an excellent solution for my problem. I found M2Tech hiFace and M2Tech hiFace Two. It takes USB input and sends S/PDIF output @ 24bit/192khz. It is powered by USB only and it costs less than half of V-DAC MKII or V-DAC MK192.

I read very good feedback about it. You can find it here. I am going to get one in couple of weeks.

Guys... your thoughts please.

---------------------EDIT-------------------
Just found the thread www.hifivision.com/cd-players/7482-m2tech-hiface-usb-spdif-converter-2.html. You can get pricing details and contact email id here.
---------------------------------------------

-Cheers,
Saikat
-----------------------------------------------------------
Yamaha Aventage RX A810 | Monitor Audio BX2 | Yamaha YST-FSW050

Last edited:
HRT music streamer II tops this list for me. In my opinion, it is better than MF.

Hi,

USB DACS
AudioEngine D1
HRT music Streamer II
Nuforce UDAC II

For PC
ASUS Xonar ST
EIS Julie@

Other options:

@rohitmusic... I've been searching for a DAC for my laptop. My laptop is a old sony vaio and its not having a hdmi or optical output.
So I needed some device to carry digital signal to my Yamaha A/V receiver. After a long research I found that the following DACs are having some limitations:
AudioEngine D1 - it sends 24bit/192khz output over RCA output. So it won't be able to carry my laptop's 5.1 sound.
Musical Fidelity V-DAC MKII - it sends 24 bit/96 khz output over S/PDIF output. However, there is another model from Musical Fidelity - V-DAC MKII, which sends 24 bit/192khz output over s/pdif. This could have been the best choice, but it requires external power and it's too costly.

My point is as I have burr-brown hi end DAC inbuilt in my Yamaha receiver then why should I invest so much money on an extra DAC. I just need a USB to S/PDIF converter instead.

I found an excellent solution for my problem. I found M2Tech hiFace and M2Tech hiFace Two. It takes USB input and sends S/PDIF output @ 24bit/192khz. It is powered by USB only and it costs less than half of V-DAC MKII or V-DAC MK192.

I read very good feedback about it. You can find it here. I am going to get one in couple of weeks.

Guys... your thoughts please.

---------------------EDIT-------------------
Just found the thread www.hifivision.com/cd-players/7482-m2tech-hiface-usb-spdif-converter-2.html. You can get pricing details and contact email id here.
---------------------------------------------

-Cheers,
Saikat

Correction.... I think this device (M2Tech hiFace) also cannot send 5.1 surround sound over S/PDIF. I am really clueless and I need professional comment on this. However, I've sent this concern to M2Tech. I am waiting for their reply.

The question that I've sent is as below:
Hi,
I am planning to purchase hiFace or hiFace two.

Could you please let me know, if I use laptop's USB port as input to hiFace and S/PDIF output to my Yamaha receiver, will the audio signal be sampled at 24bit/192khz?

Will the output over S/PDIF be able to carry 5.1 surround sound to my A/V receiver?

Is there any limitation on sampling bit/frequency for USB input?

How good this device is when compared with "Musical Fidelity V-DAC MK 192" or "Cambridge Audio DacMagic" (keeping price thing apart)?
As soon as I receive a reply from them, I'll update you accordingly.

-Cheers,
Saikat

The only cheap solution to your problem is to buy a HD digital media player which will cost you around 3 to 4k. These players will plays high quality music, HD movies as well as pictures costlier ones around 6k can connect to your laptop or wifi router to transfer data wirelessly. It will also enhance the life of your laptop and drain less electricity and will come with a remote.

the bad solution will be to buy a new laptop with hdmi and spdif like my dell L502X.

I have both and believe that if you want surround sound from your laptop you need either hdmi / optical out. I have 5 dacs all are for stereo. One is USB powered (ODAC), one has a battery within (FiiOE7), two are DIY desktop DACs and the last is a surround sound processor (excepts optical/spdif).

Last edited:
What do you think of this guys?

I am using it for an year now and am very happy. Based on CS4398 chip (the one used in Marantz CD6004. Has anyone else tried it?

Products ????

Attachments

• purepiper2.jpg
    purepiper2.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 54
  • purepiper3.jpg
    purepiper3.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 54
The only cheap solution to your problem is to buy a HD digital media player which will cost you around 3 to 4k. These players will plays high quality music, HD movies as well as pictures costlier ones around 6k can connect to your laptop or wifi router to transfer data wirelessly. It will also enhance the life of your laptop and drain less electricity and will come with a remote.

the bad solution will be to buy a new laptop with hdmi and spdif like my dell L502X.

I have both and believe that if you want surround sound from your laptop you need either hdmi / optical out. I have 5 dacs all are for stereo. One is USB powered (ODAC), one has a battery within (FiiOE7), two are DIY desktop DACs and the last is a surround sound processor (excepts optical/spdif).

@Audiodoc... thanks a lot for your valuable feedback. I am planning to get a HD media player instead.
I think you might be one of the most experienced person when DACs are concerned.

-Cheers,
Saikat

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back