Which one should I buy? Sony BDP S380 or Samsung BD-C5500

Prashant_Jindal

Could you please tell me which BD player should I buy? Sony BDP-S380 or Samsung BD-C5500
I currently have Samsung 32inch full HD LCD but does not have home theater (planning to buy sometime later. Most probably Onkyo 3400). Would surely like to watch movies downloaded from Internet (size could be more than 4GB) so I believe it must support NTFS.
I do have creative M4500 speakers for computers. Is it possible to use them with any of the above BD players.
I guess they are not region free. Would they be able to play all BDs available in India. Most of the Bds sold in India are region free but not all.
Sorry for my ignorance. I do not have much expertise in this area.

Samsung should be able to play all file types and NTFS. I confirmed that with my samsung TV last night when Ashish was here.

Could you please tell me which BD player should I buy? Sony BDP-S380 or Samsung BD-C5500
I currently have Samsung 32inch full HD LCD but does not have home theater (planning to buy sometime later. Most probably Onkyo 3400). Would surely like to watch movies downloaded from Internet (size could be more than 4GB) so I believe it must support NTFS.

BD players are not recommended for watching downloaded movies. Many a time you will face problems like file not playing, sound mismatch etc. If your main source is downloaded movies and not br disks, then better look for a media player.

I do have creative M4500 speakers for computers. Is it possible to use them with any of the above BD players.

Is the Creative M 4500 a 5.1 speaker system? Most BD players have only stereo output. So you won't get 5.1 using the creative speakers. If you buy a bd player with 5.1 analog output like onida bdx1110 then the creative speaker can be used with it.

I guess they are not region free. Would they be able to play all BDs available in India. Most of the Bds sold in India are region free but not all.
Sorry for my ignorance. I do not have much expertise in this area.

The sony and samsung bdps you quoted are not region free. They will play only zone C and region free disks. However the onida bdx1110 is region free. Another one is sherwood 5004 bdp.

My advice: Buy a media player for watching downloaded movies. If you want blu-ray player then look for the onida model.

You can better go for a Media Player for downloaded movies. I use Asus Oplay HD Mini Media Player. Which plays almost every for format I throw. The player have HD audio decoding capability also.

Don't go for Samsung BD-C5500...
It did not last even a month after my purchase. One fine day it suddenly stopped working. After contacting the service center the tech guy told me that the PCB has gone and has to be replaced, but we do not have any spares in India yet.

So, after 40 days or so, I got a refund for the full amount of Rs. 10990/-.

Other than the NTFS file system, the Sony is good. You can always split the files into smaller sizes.

BD players are not recommended for watching downloaded movies. Many a time you will face problems like file not playing, sound mismatch etc. If your main source is downloaded movies and not br disks, then better look for a media player.

Is the Creative M 4500 a 5.1 speaker system? Most BD players have only stereo output. So you won't get 5.1 using the creative speakers. If you buy a bd player with 5.1 analog output like onida bdx1110 then the creative speaker can be used with it.

The sony and samsung bdps you quoted are not region free. They will play only zone C and region free disks. However the onida bdx1110 is region free. Another one is sherwood 5004 bdp.

My advice: Buy a media player for watching downloaded movies. If you want blu-ray player then look for the onida model.

I will be using it for discs mainly but sometimes may use downloaded movies. Once I buy HT, I will start buying discs too. Right now I want to start building my package and BD player is the first for me.

Creative M4500 is 4.1 system but it has 3.5mm jack. Can we connect this to BD player?

How is the Onida model? Is it better than Sony's one?

Any idea when the new models will be launched?

It shouldn't be long but it depends on how fast the old stock gets cleared.
But since samsung arch rival Sony has launched the 2011 models,you can expect them to launch very soon,imo probably by august.

I will be using it for discs mainly but sometimes may use downloaded movies. Once I buy HT, I will start buying discs too. Right now I want to start building my package and BD player is the first for me.

Creative M4500 is 4.1 system but it has 3.5mm jack. Can we connect this to BD player?

How is the Onida model? Is it better than Sony's one?

Since your creative speaker system has only one 3.5 mm jack, it is not a true surround speaker. You can use it with the bd player by using a 3.5 mm to RCA adapter, but the sound won't be true surround.

A few forum members have bought the onida bdp and there is a dedicated thread for it. It is region free, but i doubt about NTFS support.

Since your creative speaker system has only one 3.5 mm jack, it is not a true surround speaker. You can use it with the bd player by using a 3.5 mm to RCA adapter, but the sound won't be true surround.

A few forum members have bought the onida bdp and there is a dedicated thread for it. It is region free, but i doubt about NTFS support.

It has two 3.5mm jacks. I believe it does not have center speaker. It may not give full surround sound but can work for sometime till I buy HT.

So much confusion to buy a BD player. Sony is not region free. Onida does not support NTFS and I do not have faith on Samsung BD.

Last edited:
It has two 3.5mm jacks. I believe it does not have center speaker. It may not give full surround sound but can work for sometime till I buy HT.

So much confusion to buy a BD player. Sony is not region free. Onida does not support NTFS and I do not have faith on Samsung BD.

You would need a player with 5.1 analog output like Samsung C6900.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back