which one to choose? - Monitor BR5 @ 37k or MS Aviano 6 @ 36K

arivuchelvan

Finally with the help of various HIFI vision discussions I made up mind towards Monitor BR5 and MS Aviano 6. (Thanks to Mr RishiGuru's timely suggestion which helped me choose Marantz 7003/Yamaha S500)

I had audition for both speakers, with Marantz Amp.

My first Audition with BR5 happened three weeks before. To be frank that is my life's first Audition of Audiophile speakers, so delighted a lot with the musicality of Monitor serious. The speakers played old Illayaraja songs in MP3 with very good detail and clarity.

Normally when I hear these songs in other systems the music reaches to noise on many occassions but it didn't happen with Monitor Speakers with marantz amp(The source also do it's play here).

Songs auditioned:
--------------------------
Enge Enthan Kathali - Illayaraja
some symphony tracks
MJ tracks

And as per my pocket size I restrict myself to BR5 (I heard Wharf 10.2/10.4/10.5 - none impressed).

Then I have audition on MS Aviano 6 along with Qudral Style 50 and MS Aviano 2.

I found Qudral is good at Pop, Jazz kind of music and The midPass - Pass mix (The pass keyboard play that normaly comes in the background for Tamil Songs) and Very HI fz are good in that speaker. But It lacked Dyanmics.

MS Aviano 6 Pass is good but not as refined as in Qudral still it was able to give good dynamics but lacked in midbass - bass mix. Mid and Hi freq are ok. But considering my pocket size I can hold only till Aviano 6/BR 5 range.

MS Aviano 2 is as good as Aviano 6 except that Bass is not enough for me.

Now I am planning for one more audition with BR-5 - using the same set of songs I auditioned with MS aviano 6.

Now I have Quote for BR 5 - 37k
and MS Aviano - 36k (not yet bargained. hope this can be reduced furthur)

Meanwhile I thought of having HiFi vision members Valuble suggestions on the above choice of Speakers. I didn't find authoritative comparison of these two speakers. hope it happens in this thread.

Thanks

Finally with the help of various HIFI vision discussions I made up mind towards Monitor BR5 and MS Aviano 6. (Thanks to Mr RishiGuru's timely suggestion which helped me choose Marantz 7003/Yamaha S500)

I had audition for both speakers, with Marantz Amp.

My first Audition with BR5 happened three weeks before. To be frank that is my life's first Audition of Audiophile speakers, so delighted a lot with the musicality of Monitor serious. The speakers played old Illayaraja songs in MP3 with very good detail and clarity.

Normally when I hear these songs in other systems the music reaches to noise on many occassions but it didn't happen with Monitor Speakers with marantz amp(The source also do it's play here).

Songs auditioned:
--------------------------
Enge Enthan Kathali - Illayaraja
some symphony tracks
MJ tracks

And as per my pocket size I restrict myself to BR5 (I heard Wharf 10.2/10.4/10.5 - none impressed).

Then I have audition on MS Aviano 6 along with Qudral Style 50 and MS Aviano 2.

I found Qudral is good at Pop, Jazz kind of music and The midPass - Pass mix (The pass keyboard play that normaly comes in the background for Tamil Songs) and Very HI fz are good in that speaker. But It lacked Dyanmics.

MS Aviano 6 Pass is good but not as refined as in Qudral still it was able to give good dynamics but lacked in midbass - bass mix. Mid and Hi freq are ok. But considering my pocket size I can hold only till Aviano 6/BR 5 range.

MS Aviano 2 is as good as Aviano 6 except that Bass is not enough for me.

Now I am planning for one more audition with BR-5 - using the same set of songs I auditioned with MS aviano 6.

Now I have Quote for BR 5 - 37k
and MS Aviano - 36k (not yet bargained. hope this can be reduced furthur)

Meanwhile I thought of having HiFi vision members Valuble suggestions on the above choice of Speakers. I didn't find authoritative comparison of these two speakers. hope it happens in this thread.

Thanks

Good choice...are the BR5 outgoing models???

Guys, Good News. Gave advance to MS aviano 6. Here is the story

Went for Auditing BR5 and then audited Aviano 6. And found BR5 is BIG NO match to MS Aviano 6 in My opinion as well as my Brother's Opinion. Mid, Low, High freq, dynamics, Detail, clarity, Ear Fatigue, etc everything Aviano 6 is far far superior and we felt it is absurd to compare the two IO(our)O.

My Bro who accompanied me in these last auditions got mesmerized by Aviano 6 and ordered one for him also.

We both ordered for Black finish so it is being shipped and Expecting the Speaker by coming Thursday.

The speaker Initially quoted @ 37K and we bargained it down a bit. (as two sets we ordered).

Mr Suresh of Cressida AV Zone (CRESSIDA AV ZONE, MUSIC SYSTEMS IN CHENNAI, YAMAHA DIGITAL SOUND PROJECTORS, ViewSonic, Optoma, BenQ, ViewSonic projectors, Optoma projectors, BenQ projectors, Mordaunt Short Speakers, Dali Speakers, NATURAL SOUND SPEAKER SYSTEMS, SUBWOOFERS, PROJECT) is a kind person who can be contacted @ 9500598227 if anyone wants to experience MS speakers. He is a guy whom you can reach at any time and have your demo till your heart says enough.

It is murali_n from our forum helped me a lot on deciding the speaker. He gave me the opportunity to experience his Avian2 speakers for a good 2 Hrs. A Big Thanks for him.

Will post detailed review after receiving the speaker.

Now the confusion is on Amp. Mr. Suresh says Marantz 6003 is good compared to 7003 and even 8003. He said though power spec is low for 6003 but as you saw(during demo) it is able to drive the speaker easily and he insisted that the SQ is far superior than marants 7/8. But Murali said 6003 will find it difficult to drive Aviano 6 (but in showrooms everywhere they had 6003). Not sure which one to choose.

Take whatever Suresh says with a grain of salt. I have interacted with him a lot and he exaggerates/misrepresent things just to sell a product. It's better to test both amps connected with MS Aviano 6 and go by what your ears say.

Guys, Good News. Gave advance to MS aviano 6. Here is the story

Now the confusion is on Amp. Mr. Suresh says Marantz 6003 is good compared to 7003 and even 8003. He said though power spec is low for 6003 but as you saw(during demo) it is able to drive the speaker easily and he insisted that the SQ is far superior than marants 7/8. But Murali said 6003 will find it difficult to drive Aviano 6 (but in showrooms everywhere they had 6003). Not sure which one to choose.
I wont agree tat 8003 is not a good amp and 6003 is better.
BUT I agree to the point tat 6003 is enough to drive d Aviano 6s
I am MYSELF using the AViano 6 with Marantz PM 6003 with a simple Zune Mp3 player... and the speakers sound great with this combo... Although a little bright but the bass nd mid bass section just rocks... I hav also connected my WDTV Live to the Marantz 6003 .. (at least watch movies in 2 ch mode and make the best use of d speakers.. Believe me the bass is superrrb...
I Remember watching THOR few days back and in a particular scene the king bangs his metal rod on d ground.. (i don know wat u call tat) and my whole room shaked with thunder .... tat much power d 6003 can provide..
AND Also remember the speakers have improved over the time ...as they r still in d burn in process.... aftr abt 60 hours music is great... mid freq bass and highs are all harmonious and highs hav become sweet now (initialy it was bright)

Take whatever Suresh says with a grain of salt. I have interacted with him a lot and he exaggerates/misrepresent things just to sell a product. It's better to test both amps connected with MS Aviano 6 and go by what your ears say.
'as u hav already heard the MS av 6 with 6003 u can trust yr ears.. !! :licklips::licklips:

interesting sales person this Mr suresh, though he runs the show.

in which way dose he says 6003 sq is better than 8003? and as murali said 6003 will be under-power for the viano6....

you can drop in with murali along with his amp and do a AB compare..in fact murali also wanted to do this....

my suggestion to you would be pick up the new PM7004, its got a superb build quality and Sq....best of all its made in JAPAN.

hope it helps

rgds
U can audition the 700x series too.. but 6003 wd be enough and BTW my room is abt 270Sq feet and 6003 is more dan enough for it..

Iam surprised you find The Aviano 6 lacking in midbass compared to BR5!!
True... Bass and mid bass..........these r d 2 sections in which these speakers rock.....

hope it helps...

Last edited:

in which way dose he says 6003 sq is better than 8003? and as murali said 6003 will be under-power for the viano6....

rgds

Don't know. But he said that with great surety. But I am more inclined to 7004.

my suggestion to you would be pick up the new PM7004, its got a superb build quality and Sq....best of all its made in JAPAN.

hope it helps

rgds

Yep.. More likely to be 7004. (Two Amps one for me and one for my Bro :eek:hyeah:)

Originally Posted by musicmaya View Post

rgds

Don't know. But he said that with great surety. But I am more inclined to 7004.

I forgot to tell one thing here. Suresh told that as the Power spec of the Amp increases it needs more complicated Electronics has to be Built inside which is not affordable @ budget Amps. Hence the some kind of compromise on SQ happens as we go up on Power Spec.

I am novice and was in a position to buy what he said... :eek:

Some insights in to Marantz PM6003 and PM7004

PM 6003
Pros:
--------
Cased Toroidal transformer
Tone control, Source direct
Speaker A/B with goldplated speakerterminals
Goldplated RCA inputs
WhatHiFi Best Amp Award

Cons:
-------
No Tone Control
Power Spec is less (though I found it is capable @ show rooms both monitor Speakers and MS)

PM 7004
Pros:
--------
2x 70 Watts (8 ohm)
Full discrete Current Feedback amplifier technology
Tri-Tone Control (Bass/Mid/Treble)
Marantz Original HDAM-SA3
Direct Power Amp option

Cons:
--------
No Goldplated ports
No reviews in WhatHifi etc

All are in the books. In reality don't know

Hi MM,

I recommended Marantz PM 7xxx/8xxx series to the OP since there will be enough headroom for the amp compared to PM6003 for use with MS Aviano-6 FS speakers.

I also recommended MS Aviano-2 with PM 6003 for his room size of 20x10 feet as I had heard the same combo at a forum members place(of same room dimensions) a couple of months ago at Chennai, where I could experience the bass that this small BS speakers are capable of. :licklips:

But the OP was very particular about FS Speakers and I asked him to audition with both the amps and decide. From the Specs the PM 7004 appears to be a very good amp and definitely a good match to MS Aviano-6 FS Speakers.

Auditioning the MS Aviano-6 with both the amps will give a better picture for him to decide.

N.Murali

@Murali sir, 6003 should be enough to handle the Aviano 6s..
7004 is required only if it has considerable sonic differences..

I run my Jamo floorstands using 50w amp only and it is handling it very well.

Hi Blasto,

Definitely the PM 6003 is a good amp and can drive any FS with good sensitivity. My recommendation was to go for a high headroom for the amp in case it is required. Of course it is for the OP to decide.

N.Murali

More Information:

PM6003 has issues Bi-wiring using A and B terminals. Also it looks like PM6003 has the under power issue with FS.

""if you are using speaker A&B for what you think is bi-wiring, then you have not paid dues to the warning on the back of the amp relating to the impedances printed on the amp beside A+B. Which is 8-16 ohms. Marantz specifically have not mentioned biwiring in this manual - but did mention it in the manuals above this (8003, ki pearl lite etc). I had a 6003 but upgraded to the 8003 I bought second hand specifically because I was experiencing issues powering my floorstanders. Now I habve no issues as the amp is matched closer to the speakers."'

In the Manuals also, PM8003 was given with Bi-Wiring instruction. But PM6003 no Bi-Wiring instruction.

So it has been narrowed down further. Now due to Budget constraints I am looking for second hand PM7003/8003. If any one ready to sell PM7004 around 20K also would be fine :eek:hyeah:

Enquiring clearance sales options as well.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back