Which Player shud I buy ??

Hi Guyzzz I am planning to buy a Bluray player and my shortlisted ones are below....the list is based on my budget and player availability...

PANASONIC BD30EG-K
PANASONIC BD35EG-K

or is that simply BD30 and BD35 ??

and SONY BDP350

Now my requirements are as follows...

I have a western digital WD TV and connected it to MARANTZ SR3001 (No HDMI) and Polkaudio-RM6750 via optical cable..

WD TV is connected to Panasonic PV70M (50") via HDMI

So I am getting the visuals thru HDMI and audio thru optical cable...

Now when i buy a bluray player will my existing receiver support the audio thru optical cable ??

Visual via HDMI and Audio thru Optical cable ?

If so which among the above players are the best bet ??

Sure.. i dont see why your receiver will not accept sound via optical cable from your new Blueray player.
And if you connect your blueray direct to your TV via HDMI, both sound and video will be transmitted to your tv direct of coarse, depending upon HDMI version on your TV... the very old versions have issues with sound, so basically, your tv will get sound via hdmi, while receiver is being fed by the optical cable.

What are basic differences in the three models of blue ray you have listed... and you have to watch out for which company has better after sales service in India...as these things matter quite a bit.
best of luck,
samir.

In your case you should go for Panasonic BD30 as it has analog multi channel output for you to take advantage of the high resolution audio side of the blu ray disk, as your amp doen't have HDMI so you can let the player decode the HD audio of board and and you have to connect your player to your amp via analog multi channel output. Otherwise in the future if you are planning on upgrading your amp then your should go for a higher model player like BD-35 or BDP-S350.

But do check whether your present amp HAS multichannel input, designed for SACD and surround sound.. some models have it.. and some dont.

best wishes,
samir

Now when i buy a bluray player will my existing receiver support the audio thru optical cable ??

It will support audio through optical in general but not the hi-rez (DD TrueHD, DTS HD MA etc) audio format. optical does not have the bandwidth for 7.1 channel data. you will only get 5.1 channel DD or DTS signal.

Visual via HDMI and Audio thru Optical cable ?
yes possible, you need to set-up your player in such a way that it transmits only video thru HDMI. refer the player manual for Audio settings

If so which among the above players are the best bet ??
panny seems to have some good reviews. you may want to add Oppo bdp-83 to that list. they ship to UAE; if you have any friends in UAE, you can get it shipped to their address and take it to muscat. Last I checked, Oppo charge $140 for shipping to UAE.

Hi Guyzz thanks for the replies....the problem for ordering via ebay/online is that it takes such a long tym to reach here (and patience is not one of my virtue)...I ordered RAMBO - BLURAY (quadrilogy) via ebay and it took 25 days to reach here...have been hearing good reviews about OPPO but dont want to go for that price level now...coz most of the options are useless for me (Internet connectivity,7.1 channel etc) at present as my net connection is slow/my amps dont support HDMI etc (may be in the future i will upgrade my receiver and then we will go for OPPO) and my budget is a bit tight (bought many things over the past few mths like TV,IPHONE,WD TV,AMPS etc).

So via optical cable i will get atleast 5.1 DTS/DD (my receiver supports those)

Marantz America | SR3001 Dolby Digital Surround EX?/DTS ES Surround Receiver

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back