Which SPeakers are right for me in 15K???

PS: English speakers? I thought speakers would play any language you fed them! I wonder how some golden eared reviewer would refer to our home bred Chennai speakers Torvin or Craftel in a double blind test- Sounds too Tamil- Maybe they would be the only speakers that would reproduce the word Vaazhaipazham correctly. Can the Wharfadales and Polk Audio reproduce that word with the fidelity and microdynamics of Chennai speakers? Is there a specification in the frequency graph that tells us towards which language the speakers are biased?

What say chennai guys? Chennai speakerssukku O podalama?

Nice one, flanker! Enjoyed it.

Warm, sweet & mellow speakers like the Ar's

This is a vicious circle as I wanted to purchase warm sweet and mellow speakers (AR 2ax) initially; since few audiophiles mentioned that I should look into modern technology speakers, switched my search in that quest; now in search for a matching speakers with my amp which I play at loud volume and tight bass... I presently have the b&W BM 04- (http://www.dse.nl/~hifi/dm4.htm)...they are neutral sounding speakers.... so should I look at the Usher

The Dynaudio audience series is everything opposite of an old school British speaker. Let us know what you think about the combo with the bryston. You are now moving towards a typical entry level lean and dry sounding audiophile setup.;)
I would seriousely look at usher speakers rather than the audience series from dynaudio. Similar pricing but far better speakers in my opinion. Dyanudios start sounding decent from the contour series onwards.

From what I have seen, this will be a setup more prone to nit pick with cables and such rather than putting up your legs and listening to music. Tread with care.

Yes you are absolutely right! This is a vicious circle as I wanted to purchase warm sweet and mellow speakers (AR 2ax) initially; since few audiophiles mentioned that I should look into modern technology speakers, switched my search in that quest; now in search for a matching speakers with my amp which I play at loud volume and tight bass... I presently have the b&W BM 04- (Hi-Fi, B&W DM4) - they are neutral sounding speakers.... so should I stick with my bookshelf or look at the Usher, older 600 series B&W (602/603), PMC, Harbeth

Hi,
In my opinion the old B&W that u have are a little forward sounding speakers. So they would not be neutral. The dyna would be more a neutral speaker.

I dont know whether u want a neutral speaker and neutral is difficult to define as it differs from person to person.

PMC,Harbeths,ATC will be more expensive. PMC was being carried by bryston in many markets(not any more) and are supposed to be a great combo. Castle was sold in bbay by Marbin colah but i doubt if he has sold a speaker in ages.

Dont get into all this about warm,cold, sterile, clinical............. etc etc just take some time out and hear a few options. U will end up liking something.
Rgds

Last edited:
Want Speaker with the AR sound in mind

Thanks Dinyaar for your sincere effort.

I want sound like the Ar's 2ax, dont know what sound to classify them.

I'm getting these Tannoys from your friend. Please find below two links of the Tannoy Fusion 2 bookshelf speakers. Let me know your feedback if they will cater to my taste or I keep the B&W Dm4

Product Review
Tannoy Fusion 2 Bookshelf Speakers - Product Reviews - AVReview

Regrds

flanker and square wave nice info on the british/usa design types ...... specially the 2 options you have opened for me in quest for AR type sound...

will the Tannoy Fusion 2 bookshelf speakers fit my taste?

Product Review
Tannoy Fusion 2 Bookshelf Speakers - Product Reviews - AVReview

Hi Heliumflight,
Got your PM.
I agree in principle to what Murali said. You are caught in a time warp. This is a common problem among audiophiles. They are used to a certain sound and cannot get out of it. Accurate sound has nothing to do with this. If you try to search for the old acoustic research infinite baffle sound among modern speakers which are more accurate sounding, you will be disappointed. As someone else mentioned, not all infinite baffle speakers sound the same. I have a friend who uses the Linn Ninka which is a sealed enclosure. It does not sound anywhere close to older English speakers. So sealed enclosure is not what you are looking for. You are looking for the AR sound.
There are only two options here:
1. Hunt for an acoustic research speaker among vintage circles. Re-furbish one and use it.
2. Open your mind to newer designs. Do some research/some listening and find a speaker which excites you.

The PMC is available in india now. I guess at the moment it's just availbale in mumbai only.

@Helium. The tannoys are good spk & may near the sound you are looking for,but only you can make the judgement after an audition.
All the best.
Cheers.

Hi,
In my opinion the old B&W that u have are a little forward sounding speakers. So they would not be neutral. The dyna would be more a neutral speaker.

I dont know whether u want a neutral speaker and neutral is difficult to define as it differs from person to person.

PMC,Harbeths,ATC will be more expensive. PMC was being carried by bryston in many markets(not any more) and are supposed to be a great combo. Castle was sold in bbay by Marbin colah but i doubt if he has sold a speaker in ages.

Dont get into all this about warm,cold, sterile, clinical............. etc etc just take some time out and hear a few options. U will end up liking something.
Rgds

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back