Which sub to buy polk or JBL?

Santee

I have a 5.0 set up with Heco Victa series (FS+C+BS) and Denon 1912 AVR. Room size 15 X 12 (dedicated for HT set up)
Need a sub to complete 5.1. Have shortlisted 2

1. Polk DSW pro 550 rating 200 W continuous 400 dynamic, down firing
Auditioned this at Pro-FX
Pros- Sounded great, tight bass, shook the ground well :), warranty
Price 28000/- expect to 10% discount ~ 25.5 K
2. JBL ES 150 P rating 300 W rms 500 w peak (JBL ES 250 black is not available on amazon.de, hence this one)
Auditioned JBL 250 ES at JBL showroom (open place)
Pros Sounded good (set up was not there), higher rating
Price ~ 22K from amazon.de no warranty.

Any thoughts on this?
JBL studio series - rating 300 W rms 500 w peak
Auditioned this too sounded similar to JBL ES 250 down firing
Price ~ 20 K in India so with 1 yr warranty
Hardly any review available on this.

Let me know your inputs which will help me decide. Should I consider any other subs in the price range of 20-25K.

Thank you

Go with the JBL Studio. It is LOUD. It as the lowest frequency you will hear. Of the units you mentioned it is the most suited to LFE from motion picture sound tracks in your theater.

The only drawback is that you must keep it cold. All the time, 24/7 you must bring the room down to 22C max at 45-55% RH, and 20-21C when cranking. I see so many people "saving energy" and snapping off the air-con when they leave the room. The truth is the air-con is not for you, it is for the equipment. People wonder why the amp fails, the power supply fails, the drivers fail, the projector fails, and the beer is warm. It is because the electronics have been run hot and died of heatstroke.

Both are gr8 brands and you should audition the JBL and then decide. Since i have the Polk Pro 600 i can say that its a mean machine. Added to that the service backup is fast and efficient. Wishing you all the best.

Kittu i think is looking at selling his ES250PW and is moving to a Velodyne CHT... If i am not mistaken he has it in black .

See if you can work something out :licklips:

Moving my entire setup to a smaller room which has AC and planning to get a 10inch Sub purely for stereo music.

Moving my entire setup to a smaller room which has AC and planning to get a 10inch Sub purely for stereo music.

Hey Kittu,

Would you be interested in a Sealed Subwoofer using a Peerless 12" driver and a 300Watt plate amp.

As you know the general rule is Sealed for Music and Ported for Movies

Flash,

The bigger the driver the response seems slower for music. Unless everything is matched quite well. We will talk it over via PM/Phone and leave this thread for Santee.

:)

@Santee , if you have the budget close to 35-40k for a sub there are plenty to consider. If you can spend even more you can go with SVS/HSU/EQ/outlaw and JL audio subs.

20-30k
JBL
Velodyne Impact
Klipsch SW 450
Polk DSW

30-40k
Velodyne CHT(This model is discontinued and now replaced with EQ max series, Would pickup the discontinued CHT over EQ MAx coz its ugly design)
Klipsch SW11X
Rel (T-)

Is that the reason you sold?:rolleyes:

Once I discovered the fast punchy clean bass from my dual woofers in the e875's in pure stereo mode, the polk audio sub was slow, dull and totally unncessary in comparison. The e875's produced all the punchy bass I wanted so sold the sub.

I'd only want a sub that can do fast punch bass between 10-30hz and that does not fall into the sub 25k INR price bracket. the woofers on the e875's in comparison produced much higher quality bass once I bi amped them and seperated highs and lows and even more so now with the class XD Azur 840a amp.

Last edited:
Once I discovered the fast punchy clean bass from my dual woofers in the e875's in pure stereo mode, the polk audio sub was slow, dull and totally unncessary in comparison..
Thanks,
You are right here.If I compare polk DSW500 with B&W sw,I can say polk has controlled Bass,but not fast enough.The punch in mid bass which certainly is missed.It is good for freq lower than 60Hz.

Flash,

The bigger the driver the response seems slower for music. Unless everything is matched quite well. We will talk it over via PM/Phone and leave this thread for Santee.

:)

@Santee , if you have the budget close to 35-40k for a sub there are plenty to consider. If you can spend even more you can go with SVS/HSU/EQ/outlaw and JL audio subs.

20-30k
JBL
Velodyne Impact
Klipsch SW 450
Polk DSW

30-40k
Velodyne CHT(This model is discontinued and now replaced with EQ max series, Would pickup the discontinued CHT over EQ MAx coz its ugly design)
Klipsch SW11X
Rel (T-)

Thanks Kittu,

Will try out and then decide to stretch the budget if I like one of the better ones.

Thanks,
You are right here.If I compare polk DSW500 with B&W sw,I can say polk has controlled Bass,but not fast enough.The punch in mid bass which certainly is missed.It is good for freq lower than 60Hz.

Yes, it is controlled and good for extended bass sequences,
Ok for movies but totally unsuitable for music. Overall not worth more than 17k.

my JBL sub is for sale in forum. Only hitch - its in Mumbai. Take a look.

regards,
mpw

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back