Which Universal Remote to buy?

Eddierockks

Hi, I have my sister coming from UK on 14th December. So before she gets here, I have to order a universal remote for my setup because as of now, I'm too messed up because of never-ending remotes and a couple of wireless keyboards on my bedside. I want to reduce the clutter without compromising the basic day-to-day functionality. Can you also help me with my query here please:
I've an Onkyo HTS 3400 hooked up with Samsung 51" 550 Plasma and connected devices are PS3 80GB, OPPO BDP 93, TataSky HD+ Set top box & WDTV Live Hub. Other devices that I'm using on the same telly using other TV HDMI inputs are: PS3 500GB, Xbox 360, HTPC & Apple TV. I am using Logitech Z5500 (direct) with my PS3 500GB (optical cable) as well as with? my HTPC. Which Harmony remote would you suggest me? I'm currently looking at Harmony One, Harmony 900 and Harmony Touch. Would not want to try other brands and stick to Logitech only (I think they make superb products). Less inclined towards Harmony Touch because it lacks most of the day-to-day use actual buttons. So pretty much Harmony 900 I guess. Also, I have no clue about RF and Infrared connectivity of my equipment. *sorry* Actually, I don't in my current setup, which gadget would use RF connectivity and not infrared. Any help would be more than appreciated as always. Cheers.

You have a large number of devices and so you need a remote that can memorize all of them. Some remotes can program only 5 devices. So check the manual to know how many devices can be programmed. Also get a remote with rechargeable battery. The logitech URC will drain batteries quickly. I think PS3 uses blue-tooth and all others are IR.

You have a large number of devices and so you need a remote that can memorize all of them. Some remotes can program only 5 devices. So check the manual to know how many devices can be programmed. Also get a remote with rechargeable battery. The logitech URC will drain batteries quickly. I think PS3 uses blue-tooth and all others are IR.

Mate have you had any experience with Harmony 900 or heard/read a review? I'm so confused between Harmony One vs 900? Harmony one being the older model is well reviewed everywhere. Btw I checked on their website and it said that both of them can control 15 devices. Also I hope that my telly, av receiver, oppo, etc are controlled by IR, is that right? It's only PS3 that uses Bluetooth so rest of the devices should work fine without RF, right?

I am also in same condition as you are with these three remotes. More or less decided with touch model unless 900 becomes little cheaper in coming days (<$200)

Most of your devices are with IR. Basically 900 comes with IR blasters which wil convert all RF signals into IR and the remote can work without pointing to device. I don't think other than that any big advantage of 900 over harmony one.

I am not considering harmony one mainly because of old model. If the price is low i.e (<$100), better to go for this.

As per reviews, i see that all three have same features. If you ignore RF, harmony one has one additional functionality like sequencing, which is not present in either touch or 900. Basically the sequence allows multiple commands to be sent with single button.

Mate have you had any experience with Harmony 900 or heard/read a review? I'm so confused between Harmony One vs 900? Harmony one being the older model is well reviewed everywhere. Btw I checked on their website and it said that both of them can control 15 devices. Also I hope that my telly, av receiver, oppo, etc are controlled by IR, is that right? It's only PS3 that uses Bluetooth so rest of the devices should work fine without RF, right?

I have used Harmony 525 only and it is a very good URC. The only problem is with the battery life.

All your remotes except PS3 use IR so the urc can be used easily.

I am using Harmony 700 for more than 1.5 years and no issues so far, can control upto 8 devices and no problem with the supplied rechargable AA batteries. However the batteries do exhibit decay so if lying unused for 1 / 2 months sometime you would need to recharge.

Get a Sony S Tablet. Has a built-in IR and you can program any no of devces.

You also get to keep a very good Android Tablet.

Even the new Xperia tablets have this feature.

Regds

Hi again everybody, had very less time so checked out quite a few reviews and ordered Logitech Harmony 900 and the Playstation 3 adapter as well for a total of 203. It should be in my hands in two weeks so let's hope it'll solve my remote issues. Thanks again for all the help. Cheers.

Hi,

Has anybody configured Logitech harmony 650 with Videocon DTH
if yes
can you pls let me know the steps
i was successfully in configuring LG TV and PS3

Thanks

I'm also wondering if I should buy a universal remote? The thought occurred to me when I recently bought the iHome IP9 iPod Dock. The device is great, but the remote is too tiny.

I've tried googling around to find if the IP9 can be read by universal remotes, but haven't come across anything.

If anyone can guide me, then the universal remote can be used for these of my devices:

1. iHome IP9 ipod dock
2. Samsung LCD TV
3. Tatasky HD
4. Asus O Play mini HD media player.

Thanks.

Hi,

Has anybody configured Logitech harmony 650 with Videocon DTH
if yes
can you pls let me know the steps
i was successfully in configuring LG TV and PS3

Thanks

Hi buddies,

Just got VideoconD2H HD box and cant seem to find it in the Logitech Harmony software supported devices list.

anyone have any idea about this....?

Thanks

Problem with logitech is that they discontinued entire harmony category and when needed, you will not get replacement. its a dead end. So no point in buying logitech anymore as practically you are without warranty.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back