why cann't LED projectors be used for home cinema??

putting thick curtains on ur windows will be ok, if ur screen is perfect for projection.
even white wall can do wonder for ur led, if u avoid any direct fall of light on it
i am able to manage in midday with curtain and extra layers of thick cloth on windows...
bit troublesome but worth doing if u need to enjoy big screen with led

+1 to that. I went for blackout window blinds in my PJ room. Even though 99% of my PJ usage is at night, it definitely helps when in need of some usage during day time.

I don't think there is any problem in using an LED projectors for home cinema. It has so many advantages over conventional lamp such as long life span, increased saturation levels, low heat dissipation etc. The only thing you need to know is how much lumen you want in the end to fill in your projection room. If its a dark room specifically for home theaters and your screen is in the range of 100-120" you can easily be fine with a 500 lumen LED projector. For a reference, my Acer X110 (conventional lamp with 2500 ANSI lumen) at 110" projection on a white matte surface is too bright even in eco mode. The room is a 14 X 10" one.

Rainbow effect:

All DLP projectors will have this. Also depends on how sensitive are you to this effect. I suggest you to have a look at the specific model you're about to pick, especially with a dark scene projected and rapidly move your head. You can see the rainbow effect. Initially I had this annoying thing and after 2-3 weeks of using it, I am now insensitive to it I think.

I was seeking answer for the same. Your suggestion is definitely helpful.

For DIY guys this will help ::
Formulas to Calculate Projection Screen Sizes
4:3 Aspect Ratio 16:9 Aspect Ratio 16:10 Aspect Ratio 2.35 Aspect Ratio
H = W 1.33 H = W 1.78 H = W 1.6 H = W 2.35
W = 1.33 x H W = 1.78 x H W = 1.6 x H W = 2.35 x H
D = H x 1.667 D = W x 1.14585 D = W x 1.179 D = W x 1.0868

some Da-lite Material is here :
Da-Lite DIY Da-Mat Projection Screen Material Cut To Size

searching through most economical projector options for using 720p movies in home, I could able to gather a few like Dell M110, benq joybee gp2, few models from Acer etc, which are not commonly discussed in HFV. only people like koushik and few others have talked about few of them here and there.
why not we all gather data for the best price vs performance of all these tiny options, which are light on pocket but still ok for occasional cinema viewing in home within certain restrictions like lighting and screen size etc.
i request the members using such models of LED type to come forward and share not only the best price, but also the personal opinion and performance in handling 720p files.
these models certainly have the advantages of long lasting bulb life and lower initial cost, making most of us to get inclined towards them within affordable range of say @ 30K.
i personally feel, if we don't look for screen beyond 80 to 100 inch and prefer dark room, these models shall perform well.
I am eagerly planning to have one and that why would like to have comments from experts and users here....
thanks in advance

I'm planning to add a projector+screen(8x6feet) to my HT setup. My 7.1setup consists of Onkyo 609 & wharfedale 9.6+Jamo101. I don't have cable TV or STB in our house. The use of projecor is only for movies and 90% in night. Usage will be mostly in weekends, 2movies min per week. Source will be laptop with HDMI or DVD player fed to AVR. HDMI out from AVR will be fed to projector.

Hall size is 14x16feet(LxW). Distance between couch and screen will be 14feet. Screen will be infront of TV and in between front floor standers and behind center speaker. I plan to use 8x6feet manual pull out screen. Projector can be fixed in ceiling mount (in this case distance to screen can be 5feet or 9feet) or wall mount where the distance to screen will be 14feet.

Here are my queries. I have referred projector price list from deltapage.com
1) Can I use 300-500lumens LED projector (1280x800resol) to project video to screen which is at 14feet. The image size expected is min 8x6feet. Usage at night.
2) What are the constraints in increasing the distance between projector and screen.
3) Is it DLP projector different from LED projector?
4) Which is better ceiling or wall mount? cost. can I buy from ebay?
5) What is short throw projector? Can I place projector with 5feet gap and expect 8x6feet image. This is to avoid mount + wiring cost.
6) Can I buy screen from ebay or which is best place to buy in bangalore?

I would prefer setup to be one time and no adjustment during its usage. I have shorlisted LG PB60G for 100 inches diagonal image.

Sorry for gate crashing in to this post. Please let me know if any of my assumption(above) is wrong.

I don't think there is any problem in using an LED projectors for home cinema. It has so many advantages over conventional lamp such as long life span, increased saturation levels, low heat dissipation etc. The only thing you need to know is how much lumen you want in the end to fill in your projection room. If its a dark room specifically for home theaters and your screen is in the range of 100-120" you can easily be fine with a 500 lumen LED projector. For a reference, my Acer X110 (conventional lamp with 2500 ANSI lumen) at 110" projection on a white matte surface is too bright even in eco mode. The room is a 14 X 10" one.

Rainbow effect:

All DLP projectors will have this. Also depends on how sensitive are you to this effect. I suggest you to have a look at the specific model you're about to pick, especially with a dark scene projected and rapidly move your head. You can see the rainbow effect. Initially I had this annoying thing and after 2-3 weeks of using it, I am now insensitive to it I think.

Can I expect with a 500lumens LED projector (LG PB60G) to provide >100to120inch diagonal image with WXGA resolution @ 16:10 ratio projected from distance of 10-12feet?

I could see from the specs that LED projector is at best when placed as close to screen like 4-5feet even though the spec says it can handle 10feet and all.

get epson 550 3000 lumen...720p..around 54k maybe..latest 2013 model..2 year indian warranty
if budget is strict 30k..diy it.. well thats a diff story..it would not be right to discuss in this thread

get epson 550 3000 lumen...720p..around 54k maybe..latest 2013 model..2 year indian warranty
if budget is strict 30k..diy it.. well thats a diff story..it would not be right to discuss in this thread

Can some one provide feedback about optoma ml330. Will it suit my purpose?

Can I expect with a 500lumens LED projector (LG PB60G) to provide >100to120inch diagonal image with WXGA resolution @ 16:10 ratio projected from distance of 10-12feet?

I could see from the specs that LED projector is at best when placed as close to screen like 4-5feet even though the spec says it can handle 10feet and all.

For normal videos, it would be fine. I am not sure about 3D if you're planning to use it!

For normal videos, it would be fine. I am not sure about 3D if you're planning to use it!

yesterday I had a LG guy to give demo for model LG PB60G and LGPA70G, both were good to produce 120inch diagonal image with 10feet image width projected from 12-13feet distance @ WXGA resolution.

2things to note:

1) FAN sound was high when brightness settings were at max even at medium.
2) Heat dissipation from projector is high. While demo I have to keep the projector in my hand to project the size I need.

The price quoted for LG PB60U is 39+tax and for PA70G is 45+tax. Can some one throw light on price? is it OK if I import the projector from abroad, here they give 3years for the full unit.

Last edited:
yesterday I had a LG guy to give demo for model LG PB60G and LGPA70G, both were good to produce 120inch diagonal image with 10feet image width projected from 12-13feet distance @ WXGA resolution.

2things to note:

1) FAN sound was high when brightness settings were at max even at medium.
2) Heat dissipation from projector is high. While demo I have to keep the projector in my hand to project the size I need.

The price quoted for LG PB60U is 39+tax and for PA70G is 45+tax. Can some one throw light on price? is it OK if I import the projector from abroad, here they give 3years for the full unit.

Taken any decision yet? I am in the same boat. Haven't taken a demo yet. What do you think- is PA70G worth it over PB60G , picture quality/brightness etc? Any other things you noticed. BTW PB60G is available for 35k with bill on rediff shopping.Called the dealer selling it and confirmed. Available for 39k on infibeam all inclusive.
PA70G is available for around the same price you quoted. I have heard both units have slight focus issues.
I was also thinking of getting it from US but 3 years warranty seems like dealbreaker. If it was one year i woudn't have thought but 3 years is a long period.
Its basically PB60G with 3 year warranty or PA70G with no warranty.

Last edited:
Taken any decision yet? I am in the same boat. Haven't taken a demo yet. What do you think- is PA70G worth it over PB60G , picture quality/brightness etc? Any other things you noticed. BTW PB60G is available for 35k with bill on rediff shopping.Called the dealer selling it and confirmed. Available for 39k on infibeam all inclusive.
PA70G is available for around the same price you quoted. I have heard both units have slight focus issues.
I was also thinking of getting it from US but 3 years warranty seems like dealbreaker. If it was one year i woudn't have thought but 3 years is a long period.
Its basically PB60G with 3 year warranty or PA70G with no warranty.

Last time I had demo in daytime and the results were not satisfactory due to external light. This LED projector is good only if you make 95%darkness, else its like watching a movie in daytime in a car. This week I will have another demo in night to decide the output. I will test both models. Even when you check make sure the energy saving setting is set to medium. The 30000 hours provided is valid only the energy saving setting is activated and not under full brightness.

I was delaying my purchase as I expect some new models to be launched and the current one prices may come down. This unit was launched an year ago, there could be better models with 1000lumens. But warranty is definitely a concern for me. Since its electronics its a 50-50 probability. Initially I was discussing with some one who put up a sale for couple of units bought from US. Then I found that the price was high. Then I found some online shops from dubai who are selling it at 30-32k in the last week exchange rates. Now I'm checking in bangalore itself to see if I can buy it without bill to save on 14.4 tax with warranty.

Please send a message to me, if you are from bangalore. I will try to approach a dealer to get a good price for 2units.

I have got an LG HX301G LED projector. I bought it for 33k in US, almost an year back. I project it on the wall painted with light shade of off white colour with matte finish. I am very happy with the picture quality :yahoo: . No fan sound, less heat. As other FM have told it can be used only if the room is 90% dark.

Last time I had demo in daytime and the results were not satisfactory due to external light. This LED projector is good only if you make 95%darkness, else its like watching a movie in daytime in a car. This week I will have another demo in night to decide the output. I will test both models. Even when you check make sure the energy saving setting is set to medium. The 30000 hours provided is valid only the energy saving setting is activated and not under full brightness.

I was delaying my purchase as I expect some new models to be launched and the current one prices may come down. This unit was launched an year ago, there could be better models with 1000lumens. But warranty is definitely a concern for me. Since its electronics its a 50-50 probability. Initially I was discussing with some one who put up a sale for couple of units bought from US. Then I found that the price was high. Then I found some online shops from dubai who are selling it at 30-32k in the last week exchange rates. Now I'm checking in bangalore itself to see if I can buy it without bill to save on 14.4 tax with warranty.

Please send a message to me, if you are from bangalore. I will try to approach a dealer to get a good price for 2units.

I am in Gurgaon. Just confirmed today PA70G - 45k+taxes. Will go for a demo tomorrow and will share here. Although have bought led tvs but buying the "led" projectors without bill/warranty doesn't seem right. Heard a a lot of people getting replacements due to focus issues. I am looking at PB60G or the acer K330. PA70G seems expensive - then i'll save and get something better.

Acer 5370BD is coming to 32,119 via ishopinternational. Haven't used their service.
Offer for today only. Very attractive price.

Back