Why is buying a mobile so complex :(

sud98

A year or so back, I was looking for a phone that looks good, has a great camera and easy to use. I finally narrowed down to the iphone, bought it from the US for around 600 USD without contract. All and sundry assured me that that unlock is never an issue as you do get it once in a few months.

However, no software unlock ever came, and the hardware unlock was buggy to say the least. To top it, had a problem with the microphone and realised no support from India as it was an US iphone.

So this time all wise, I decided ditch iOS and go for either Android or WP. Since the only good phone the Lumia had a very ordinary camera, I decided that Samsung Galaxy SII is the phone to buy.

Just when I am about to buy, there is this issue of I1900 vs I1900G, the new model launched by Samsung and to be sold for countries like India. This will have a lower spec, longer battery life, lower support for intl freq as well as lower d/l speeds. Also, since the clock rate is maxed at 1Ghz, its unlikely to get ICS as it has a min. spec of 1.2 GHz.

So I am all confused and not very far off from where I started.

Sorry for the long rant, but any advise?

I was quoted 35K for it a while back. Might as well get a tab at that cost and a Rs. 1200 Nokia. Both will do a lot more than the Galaxy Note.

What?!

The Tab is MUCH slower than a Note and I won't even stoop to your idea of using a Rs 1200 Nokia.

It's available for 30K online and I don't think you can get anything better in today's market.

Why not buy an Iphone here in India? you get warranty and both Aircel and airtel have great offers on the calling plans

What?!

The Tab is MUCH slower than a Note and I won't even stoop to your idea of using a Rs 1200 Nokia.

It's available for 30K online and I don't think you can get anything better in today's market.

LOL... even I would not stoop to using a Rs. 1200 Nokia... it was just to illustrate why a tab is better than the Galaxy Note.

The Samsung Galaxy to my knowledge still runs on Android OS, v2.3.5 (Gingerbread) while a tab from Motorola Xoom comes with Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) and is upgradeable to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). Why use a 2nd gen OS when you can use the 4th gen?

I am using a Motorola Xoom for 4 months now and can assure you its not slow. I use wifi at home and GPRS when mobile (3G is supported but exorbitant at current prices).

I have been a smartphone user for ages using Nokia N Series & E72, Apple iPhone 3Gs, etc. and while all are/were good... they just cannot compare with a tab in terms of features and ease of use for email, chat, typing, etc. I use Skype a lot (for business) and have yet to come across any smartphone it works well on... not even the iPhone or iPod Touch. But it works great on the tab and I can do video conferences in real time. On the mobile its still limited to Fring.

PS - The OP may not need what a tab has to offer but I just want to mention that for 30K he can get a lot more than a smartphone... not sure the Galaxy can be called a tab never mind what they say in the ads.

I was quoted 35K for it a while back. Might as well get a tab at that cost and a Rs. 1200 Nokia. Both will do a lot more than the Galaxy Note.

Price apart, a tab + a 1200 rs phone IS NOT equal to a Galaxy Note. Try carrying a tablet in your pocket. And to top it, if you are on the go, try carrying two chargers or connecting cables. Also, try keeping in sync your music on various devices, you will realize two devices are not same as one.

I bought Galaxy Note as soon as it became available and without a second thought I have to say this is the best "gadget" I have ever bought with money. I am still being surprised with little tricks that it has hidden everywhere What Galaxy Note does for you, for such a low physical profile, and the way it simplifies your life is beyond compare. I for one will never buy a tablet + a cheap phone to replace a Galaxy Note, even at two thirds the price, they simply don't compare.

Why not buy an Iphone here in India? you get warranty and both Aircel and airtel have great offers on the calling plans

The iPhone is ridiculously overpriced in India. Makes some of the audio equipment look good.

LOL... even I would not stoop to using a Rs. 1200 Nokia... it was just to illustrate why a tab is better than the Galaxy Note.

The Samsung Galaxy to my knowledge still runs on Android OS, v2.3.5 (Gingerbread) while a tab from Motorola Xoom comes with Android 3.1 (Honeycomb) and is upgradeable to Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich). Why use a 2nd gen OS when you can use the 4th gen?

I am using a Motorola Xoom for 4 months now and can assure you its not slow. I use wifi at home and GPRS when mobile (3G is supported but exorbitant at current prices).

I have been a smartphone user for ages using Nokia N Series & E72, Apple iPhone 3Gs, etc. and while all are/were good... they just cannot compare with a tab in terms of features and ease of use for email, chat, typing, etc. I use Skype a lot (for business) and have yet to come across any smartphone it works well on... not even the iPhone or iPod Touch. But it works great on the tab and I can do video conferences in real time. On the mobile its still limited to Fring.

PS - The OP may not need what a tab has to offer but I just want to mention that for 30K he can get a lot more than a smartphone... not sure the Galaxy can be called a tab never mind what they say in the ads.

Moving to ICS is around the corner. Carrying a tablet around is not my cup of tea. My Note fits neatly in my pocket and is possibly the fastest and best smartphone available.

BTW, when you said Tab, I thought you were mentioning the Galaxy Tab which is why I said the Note is much faster.

Also, the 5.3" inch screen means you can Skype, email, chat etc without the fiddly bits on a small screen with the added advantage of portability.

I think it is complicated everywhere, although USA/Europe users who get the phone as part of a plan have nothing like the same makeing-an-expensive-gadget-last feelings: by the time they are fed up with their phone, they'll have the option to upgrade to the latest.

I've lived with a Nokia N82 for over three years. I like its maps (except for the tiny screen) but hate its tiny screen and silly keys. I won't carry Microsoft around in my pocket, nor will I don the Apple handcuffs and install iTune on my PC (which runs Linux anyway). Apple is also ruled out by cost, as are the higher-end Galaxy phones. The accidental-damage/loss/etc/ risks of carrying 30-thousand-plus around in my pocket are just too much for me and I don't really need a "smart" phone, let alone more.

I'd also like something that won't die if a raindrop hits it!

So I find myself looking at spending around half (very approx) the cost of the really fancy stuff (down, gadgetphile, down!) and buying a Motorola Defy+.

There. Actually, that wasn't complicated at all! :)

But Android? Why the hell the stupid names? Did they have to go one worse than Ubuntu's version-naming scheme? Ice-Cream Sandwich? When do I get to upgrade to Flipflop Hamster? Are they really aiming their marketing at 14-year-olds?

(Err... yes, I guess so, and refer myself to my own saying: "If you want to know anything about phones, ask the nearest teenager!")

I forgot to mention this phone was for my wife.

So Note is out of question. I liked the note, its really nifty and has a great screen.

All I want is a phone that looks good, has a good touch screen and an excellent camera and obviously local support and ongoing warranty.

The iphone 4 ( I currently use as a touch due to the faulty mic) is something I will look at only if the 4s comes at a 30k price bracket. At 45k, its a no-go.

All I want is a phone that looks good, has a good touch screen and an excellent camera and obviously local support and ongoing warranty.

I am going to suggest something 90% of the people here may not agree. Well, one thing ladies like is to possess something nobody else has ;)
On that note, why not consider nokia N9 or HP Veer? They are one of the best & cutest looking phones with great touch screens, OS and work great as a 'phone'.
Yeah I know they have dead OS, no apps, no local support & warranty, but still they are superb 'wife phones' if you ask me :)

I forgot to mention this phone was for my wife.

HTC Rhyme.

@Nick - The names are derived from desserts. So, unless you can whip up a delicious hamster-based pudding, flipflophamster is not going to happen :lol:

I use Skype a lot (for business) and have yet to come across any smartphone it works well on... not even the iPhone or iPod Touch.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Y and I make/receive 10 Skype calls to the US everyday. Works better than the laptop. I don't use video. All this from a BSNL connection at home.

Cheers

I have a Samsung Galaxy Y and I make/receive 10 Skype calls to the US everyday. Works better than the laptop. I don't use video. All this from a BSNL connection at home.

Cheers

how do you connect? over wireless/bluetooth ?want to do the same with a blackberry 8800...

how do you connect? over wireless/bluetooth ?want to do the same with a blackberry 8800...

I have a data connection for when I am on the road. At home I have a wireless that uses BSNL for connectivity.

Cheers

Last edited:

Cheers

I need it for video conferencing and also mastermind chat groups (with 100s of people doing a group chat). Its like 1000+ messages in an hour... the mobiles just don't scroll fast enough for me.

Dont get in to marketing. Loop. I cant help if u r in. Showoff loop. I personally dont keep a rocket simulator cos i will neva use it.

Mobile companies plan maket rumors.. to play with customer.
Real innovation was android.. an awesome amoeled to
uch. So i am very happy with glaxy s. Small n light on pocket.
Anyone. Wants i have extra one.. excellent piece from US

I need it for video conferencing and also mastermind chat groups (with 100s of people doing a group chat). Its like 1000+ messages in an hour... the mobiles just don't scroll fast enough for me.

For such a use, obviously, you cannot use a mobile phone.

Cheers

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back