Why is the idea of active HT not so popular?

chander

Hi,

I have been wondering why the idea of active HTs is not so popular? In my understanding if you buy a HT processor and buy 5/7/9 active speakers - you are done with everything including the issues of matching etc? Provided you will have to put power points everywhere, but we pull the cables anyhow. Another thing, you will never be out of power as all speakers have their own amplifier - a 50-75 W per channel active should be great, provided most AVRs do not give more than that anyhow.

Are there any issues with such a setup that I am completely clueless about?

Thanks!

I would think of:
- Cost of speakers
- Running power cables along the room (for the surrounds and Atmos).

Thanks!
1 - Cost was the main thing I was thinking on the lines of too. However we have some really expensive setups here on this very forum. So I believe cost being no object or less so, then what? On the other hand, we start with some speakers and then add the power amps and then pre amplifiers and then the works. So wouldn't this be less of a hassle for someone who has a decent budget?

2 - Running power cables can be considered annoying but in setups where you are building a room to your spec, one can consider it.

Still it isn't so popular. Any ill-effects on the sound required for movies? But I am sure the sound directors for movies will use active speakers too, for mastering. Am I wrong?

I have dreamed to own a HT setup like your idea. But I was thinking more of Wireless Active speakers as running RCA's or XLR cables apart from power lines may turn out a bit cumbersome. But it would be nice to have a HT Processor which can interact with Wireless Active speakers and make it feel integrated. I would prefer this rather than having multiple power amps clogging up space.

Nice topic!
Regards

Running Power and RCA/XLR to every speaker is a messy affair and not feasible for most home use. But the same or even better effects can be obtained by using HT processor and power amp

HT Processor which can interact with Wireless Active speakers
I am sure it will come some day.

I have been searching for a long time but can't find anything where it is very clearly laid out that the actives has a disadvantage over the passives in an HT setup, so just curious. If anyone has a reference please post here for reading.

In a typical 5.1 Movie track, probably 70 to 80% of the sound comes from the Center Channel. That said, it doesn't make much sense to use Active Speakers for other channels when most of the time, they will remain ideal.

Is it true? I really doubt it. I know that is true for dialogues, but not for all sound.
Exceptions are there like Action movies where the surround channel (blast and other sounds) is more engaged than a Drama movie where all the action happens in the Center channel (dialogue).

The Center channel is a very underrated one. Audyssey balances out the entire system, but I usually bump up the Center channel by about 6 db, and the impact is significant, at the cost of balance in LCR, but it’s fun. Audyssey doesn’t know what you like.

IMHO Power amp is a clear winner when compared with active speakers for HT application due to the following reasons

1. Active speakers are mainly designed PA kind of applications. Where as a using power amps gives the choice of using Hifi speakers and amplifiers.

2. Cable management is much easier

For starters, not everyone subscribes to the notion that active speakers are better. Other reasons already covered being cost,some people preferring to buy and match amps and speakers (and other gear). In an existing room running cables is also difficult. I think these are the reasons people don't use actives. Many people here might have expensive systems (some of them may include active LR) but these people tend to be focused on music/2 channel. Some of them may have an HT system but it often has lower tier gear (based on their signatures).

For myself I will say that I don't like active speakers, this being the main reason why I don't use them. I'm also in the stereo camp.

The Center channel is a very underrated one. Audyssey balances out the entire system, but I usually bump up the Center channel by about 6 db, and the impact is significant, at the cost of balance in LCR, but it’s fun. Audyssey doesn’t know what you like.
I do this too now as I recently learnt how far off Audyssey is :). So my center channel in my system is +2db and that I realised is the sweet spot for me.

I do this too now as I recently learnt how far off Audyssey is :). So my center channel in my system is +2db and that I realised is the sweet spot for me.
If i may inquire as to how you determined that it was off by -2db?

If i may inquire as to how you determined that it was off by -2db?
Totally by the ear :p. I have no means to measure, and I do not even frankly understand the whole DSP thing, measurement charts are ancient latin to me. I also created a post about that - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/i-got-a-free-ht-upgrade-clickbait-alert.85117/

Long story short, I started fiddling with the AVR settings and after a few weeks of changing things continuously I settled on the setup where at present my center channel is +2db. If I get bored of it, I will try some other permutation combination.

For me at present it is all by the ear.

Totally by the ear :p. I have no means to measure, and I do not even frankly understand the whole DSP thing, measurement charts are ancient latin to me. I also created a post about that - https://www.hifivision.com/threads/i-got-a-free-ht-upgrade-clickbait-alert.85117/

Long story short, I started fiddling with the AVR settings and after a few weeks of changing things continuously I settled on the setup where at present my center channel is +2db. If I get bored of it, I will try some other permutation combination.

For me at present it is all by the ear.

The way it should be.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back