Why Not Dumb TVs

And then, won't she point a steady and unwavering finger at the ever increasing stack of uber expensive audio gear you keep hoarding ? How does that argument end :cool: ?
To be honest, I've never spent uber money to get what seems to be uber priced gear. Iam still very much a "kitna deti hai" guy 🤣🤣. And I tend to buy used, as I could never afford any of my gear new.

Luckily owing to my travels, I manage to sneak out good deals on gear abroad. Then iam blessed to have friends willing to pay for them, as I don't have PayPal or credit cards. Adding to that, i have agents willing to accept and deliver shipments for me. So that makes it easier for me to buy stuff. Again always used.

And over the years, I've developed a knack at ahem.... sneaking stuff past airports 🤣🤣. It is certainly not for the faint hearted or for discussion on an open forum 😜😜. But I could certainly make Dawood Ibrahim proud 🤣🤣🤣.

Instead they could save on the OS development as well as processor/RAM cost and instead provide bigger screens and/or picture/sound quality in dumb TVs with HDMI at the same cost.

Why doesn’t even one TV manufacturer attempt this flanking strategy?
Nowadays TVs have to deal with good amount of processing work. Sd to 4k, HD to 4k and vice versa. Need to read from usb, multiple file types and play it as fast as possible without stuttering. So anyways, They'll have to bundle a decent processor with Ram ; adding a relatively free Android tv software is just easy to give a proper user interface for accessing all functionalities and improving user experience. That's also important from competition perspective.

Second, the bulk buyers are from Hotel industries, Showrooms, Malls, Tourism / airport etc where it isn't cost effective to add a digital TV box to every TV. They have a different set of needs to constantly display their content and restrict/allow the user for certain features depending upon their individual contract. Its a pain to enable or disable content on each tv, every time. Smart TVs make such tasks easier.

Audio video piles are a very niche small group, a pain to satisfy and cater ; and they'll find their hacks anyway, so nobody bothers to satisfy them.

Nowadays TVs have to deal with good amount of processing work. Sd to 4k, HD to 4k and vice versa. Need to read from usb, multiple file types and play it as fast as possible without stuttering. So anyways, They'll have to bundle a decent processor with Ram ; adding a relatively free Android tv software is just easy to give a proper user interface for accessing all functionalities and improving user experience. That's also important from competition perspective.
Well, if there’s no real cost saving (and therefore subsequent lower pricing) to be had from dropping the smart features, one can see why the manufacturers are not motivated to make dumb TVs anymore. I somehow assumed there are different processors (or additional cores) needed to do the graphic processing vs the apps and OS processing. And that the apps use up a large chunk of the RAM and memory. But if that’s not the case, there’s no cost reduction potential.

If you guys are looking for dumb TVs - you can look for professional/hotel panels. They come with Hotel OS (for in-room service etc) - but you can shut those down. The panels are the same as commercials TVs I think. I have been using a Samsung for the last 2+ years with Apple TV 4K. No issues whatsoever. Model is Samsung - HG61AJ690UKXXL.

***& They are extremely cheap in comparison!
I googled the model number and didnt get anything. Where does one buy such TVs please

I had started a similar thread few years back as I was sick and tired of the time taken by the OS to load

Well, if there’s no real cost saving (and therefore subsequent lower pricing) to be had from dropping the smart features, one can see why the manufacturers are not motivated to make dumb TVs anymore.

I somehow assumed there are additional/faster processors (or additional cores) needed to do the the apps and OS processing in addition to the graphic processing. (Like say this random product listing seems to suggest: https://www.samsung.com/in/support/...ung-smart-tv-unveil-with-quad-core-processor/) And that the apps use up a large chunk of the RAM and memory. (As this random article seems to say: https://whatsabyte.com/what-does-ram-do-on-a-smart-tv/). As well as OS licensing fees etc.

But may be that’s not the case. 🙁

Last edited:
If you guys are looking for dumb TVs - you can look for professional/hotel panels. They come with Hotel OS (for in-room service etc) - but you can shut those down. The panels are the same as commercials TVs I think. I have been using a Samsung for the last 2+ years with Apple TV 4K. No issues whatsoever. Model is Samsung - HG61AJ690UKXXL.

***& They are extremely cheap in comparison!
Where to get those professional/hotel panels.

I got it from a wholeseller in Delhi & got it shipped to Goa. However they do need a company & GST for these, they can't sell these direct to Customer. Sorry - I should have mentioned this before, I completely forgot about this little detail :p

I got it from a wholeseller in Delhi & got it shipped to Goa. However they do need a company & GST for these, they can't sell these direct to Customer. Sorry - I should have mentioned this before, I completely forgot about this little detail :p
I think B2B commercial TVs get GST relief with company name and gst number. If these two are not there, they would sell it levying the gst. Thats all. Correct me pls if i am wrong.

Ok..So if you add 18% or whatever is the GST - guess it will come within 10-15% of the cost of a retail unit wholesale price
If I remember correctly, though I do not have the bill handy, it was around 80K odd, with GST & shipping. GST claim should make it even cheaper.

In a world where you get Digital Media players from Rs 5000 onwards that have far better user interface, app stores, hardware (resulting in AV quality), updates and support, why do TV manufacturers even bother to make their TVs smart? I wonder what percentage of users stick to the loaded OS. Most would add a Firestick, Apple TV, Roku or any of the many other media players. Instead they could save on the OS development as well as processor/RAM cost and instead provide bigger screens and/or picture/sound quality in dumb TVs with HDMI at the same cost.

Why doesn’t even one TV manufacturer attempt this flanking strategy?

Your question makes absolute sense.

I bought a media player for less than Rs 5K INR and their performance was superb even on my good old CRT TVs. Non smart LED Tvs must be ideal for these players, yes.

Hope non smart LED TVs continue to exist in these era when smart TVs are becoming the default option.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back