Why People hate Bose

Cnu

After reading members views in various forums that Bose boasts much about its quality but its not that worth...at that price we can buy a nice pair of speakers n amplifier...i too firmly believed that....till yesterday night...till one of my friend has played a flac in his laptop with bose companion mulmedia 5 speaker system in foobar2000...it has got incredible treble...it produce such a smooth sound...i heard my system several of time...(Marantz Pm 8003 + quad 11l classic speakers + marantz cd6003 +solitone x interconnect + dac speaker cable)...my system cant be comparable with it...bose plays very smooth like silk with no disturbance at all...(my system cant even go any near to it)....bose costs only 22.5k where as my system costs 90k...cost 4 times it...i dont knw wat technology they use....but they have achieved superb sound...thanks for viewing...i dont want to be a critic to speak adversely abt other companies...at that price range...i dint hear any system with that quality...please once listen bose companion 5...

After reading members views in various forums that Bose boasts much about its quality but its not that worth...at that price we can buy a nice pair of speakers n amplifier...i too firmly believed that....till yesterday night...till one of my friend has played a flac in his laptop with bose companion mulmedia 5 speaker system in foobar2000...it has got incredible treble...it produce such a smooth sound...i heard my system several of time...(Marantz Pm 8003 + quad 11l classic speakers + marantz cd6003 +solitone x interconnect + dac speaker cable)...my system cant be comparable with it...bose plays very smooth like silk with no disturbance at all...(my system cant even go any near to it)....bose costs only 22.5k where as my system costs 90k...cost 4 times it...i dont knw wat technology they use....but they have achieved superb sound...thanks for viewing...i dont want to be a critic to speak adversely abt other companies...at that price range...i dint hear any system with that quality...please once listen bose companion 5...

what you like - is what you like!:)

and for you, Cnu, ONLY bose will do - so you must- in all haste- sell your other system and buy your lifetime companion - bose 5 - that will be the bose in your life-

as for me - i have heard bose companion 5 - and i do not think that i ever want to listen to it again -

thanks for viewing - and do not feel bad that i do not like bose - there are many thousands who like bose-

I have auditioned the Bose Lifestyle V35 recently. Bose are not at all bad. they are quite good and the media center offers a lot of value added featues like room acaustic correction and storage etc. the acaustimass is just incredible too. its completely hidden and you actually feel the bass comming from the setalites. but the pkg costs upwards to 2L bucks!

i was shown the 2012 LA earthquake scene for audition. the sales guy emphasised the fact that (in his own words) ''the scene has a lot of distructions. things flying around. buildings crumbling down. a lot of commosion and chaos, and though, you will feel the clarity of dialogues comming from the center as well as the large thuds comming from the various satellites and from the bass drover''. i was impressed as i already had heard the Jamos and Anthony Galows, but all of them were less than half the price of Bose.
later on the same day, i auditioned the same scene on Wharfedale Obsidion pkg and was struck by the difference and realised how true the opinions of HFV members is about Bose! I was particularly looking for clarity of center chanel. the speakers were connected to Marantz AVR (which I believe is more musical than cinematic) and the dialogues were much more propmt and clear than Bose. there was no comparision.
i believe, the only thing in the favour of Bose is its acaustimass module. the bass produced by that is really tight.

no one hates bose, its like story of fox and sour grapes...when grape is not reachable fox says it sour,,,,but
i do agree for the price of bose, u get better av and speakers, worth the money...
bose thinks they can maintain that they r best with high pricing... remember the fate of nokia smartphones once ruled are now down to earth, loosing grounds to samsung and lg now never able to rise...
bose too will find its way soon... sorry if i hurt both lovers and haters of bose..its my personal view.

In a way Bose revolutioned the satellite speakers system. Till that time speakers meant huge boxes.

That does not mean Bose speakers are good or bad. It is just that they have created a hype and aura. The common man thinks "Bose = High Class". If I were to equate Bose in terms of cars, then Bose is "Maruti Suzuki Esteem" marketed (and priced) as "Toyota Camri". And this is what irks most audiophiles.

Until 1-2 months back I had not auditioned Bose speakers but had always read negative reviews or rather no reviews about Bose speakers so I had an idea that they are not worth the money (If you decide to buy strictly on performance and not on Hype and brand value).

Recently I auditioned Yamaha, JBL (Harman/Kardon AVR + JBL speakers and Bose.

Yamaha looked average.

JBL was quite good. The scene from the movie XXX was played and It seemed like the bullets and arrows were coming from behind.

Both were about 30-35ks.

Then went to audition Bose. A scene from the movie Iron man was played where the person is showing demo of missile launch to the military. The salesperson told that one would hear the swooshing effect start from centre and then go to the surrounds.

5 Minutes later when the scene was over he asked about the experience and I was at loss of words because there was nothing in it to experience.

Never felt that the 5.1 system was working! On top of that It was priced around 1.16 Lakhs! Wonder how good would JBL or some other brand perform at that price range.

Sure the system had many other features. For example it had a built in hard disk and could play almost all formats. It could sort your songs based on tags and then play them according to your mood. Its remote could work through ceilings and walls etc. But sound wise I found JBL a lot better!

^^^ Note that surround sound coming alive also depends upon the sound processing capability of the AVR/amp. From the price you mentioned, it appears that Bose system that you auditioned is the Bose Lifestyle 18. This system is one of the worst of the lot.

The Lifestyle system is no better than a All-in-One DVD-HTIB like those from Sony, Philips, Samsung, etc.

You should compare speakers to speakers keeping all other factors constant - same AVR, same DVD, etc. Note that I am in no way defending Bose. But you do get surround effect in Bose.

Thank you shershah,denom,paritosh,drkavint,sarge in,just4kix,goyal sanchit for your valuable opinions...There must be some flaw in my system set up i guess...because i dont think that so many ppls opinion cud b wrong...but day before yesterday night...i was not the only one who heard both the systems....i and few of my friends around 6 ppls....all of us unitedly said bose was really sounding splendid....im unable to find a loop hole in this scenario...if it was me alone......i wud have thought either my taste matches that or im little dumb to find the difference...

so my frndly opinion to those who make small investments to buy decent speakers...shud listen once bose....im only particular about Bose multimedia 5..not any lifestyles system..

Last edited:
I have Bose Speakers at home. When I play movies, the Bose speakers sound great. But when music is played, the whole punch is lost.

Then went to audition Bose. A scene from the movie Iron man was played where the person is showing demo of missile launch to the military. The salesperson told that one would hear the swooshing effect start from centre and then go to the surrounds.

5 Minutes later when the scene was over he asked about the experience and I was at loss of words because there was nothing in it to experience.

I think the Missile was too fast for you ... surely all these people cannot be wong ... err wrong!! Was it a supersonic cruise missile? Then you have to be at the destination (target zone) of the missile in order to really experience something. :eek:hyeah: :D :rolleyes:

just4kix said:
I have Bose Speakers at home. When I play movies, the Bose speakers sound great. But when music is played, the whole punch is lost.

Precisely. What is good for movies may not move the listener when it comes to music.

Lets all pretend the OP had an outbreak of rashes and now things are back to normal with the application of some topical anti-inflammatory anti-bose cream. :rolleyes:

But I am really afraid the OP may be permanently tainted with people whispering behind his back in social gatherings... "He's the guy who likes Bose over his 2-channel audio ..." ;)

If you are still unmarried .. I am sorry to say your chances look very bleak now ... :(

Better you change your Name, your Drivers ID, Birth Certificate, School TC form etc etc and your forum username to avoid the stigma ... :rolleyes:
Society can be very unforgiving ... :eek:hyeah:

--Gobble
:)

Last edited:
Experience with Bose System may vary from person to person.

I used to travel a lot and I bought Bose Quiet Comfort 2 Noise Canceling Head Phones. I am really happy with and still using it whenever I travel or at home as well.

When I decided to setup a HT, I auditioned Bose Lifestyle 28 & 38. Even though they were great for the high frequency sounds, they couldn't produce low frequency sounds. I doubt whether the satellites can reproduce below 200Hz.

Accoustimass module didn't have volume control option to increase the bass level. I carried Rang De Basanti movie and bass levels in the scenes and music was not acceptable for me.

Cost wise also I felt it was not worth spending this much where it is not able to reproduce the entire range properly.

I don't have any experience with Bose Multimedia speakers

If you like the sound of bose or any other brand then go for it.

As much as there are issues with the marketing practices of bose, ultimately this hobby is about finding a good match for what we want to hear. If its bose well and good. If its another brand then is equally well and good. Dont get caught up with negativity around a brand (I personally dont like bose and have valid reasons but thats not the point of your post here).

This what I felt when I heard bose system in their showroom in forum mall,
For movies its good
for music it sucks
But the sales guys presentation was brilliant (that is half the sale done) :)

^^^ Note that surround sound coming alive also depends upon the sound processing capability of the AVR/amp. From the price you mentioned, it appears that Bose system that you auditioned is the Bose Lifestyle 18. This system is one of the worst of the lot.

I know that the sound quality depends on lot of factors. If I go for audition with a movie of my choice then I can understand but if the sales person is showing a scene of his choice then I guess its fair to assume that he would be showing something which he feels would be best to show the performance of the speakers and settings done accordingly. In that case I found the effect missing in the speakers whereas JBL was way better at 1/4th price.

I think the Missile was too fast for you ... surely all these people cannot be wong ... err wrong!! Was it a supersonic cruise missile? Then you have to be at the destination (target zone) of the missile in order to really experience something.

What are you trying to say and who all people?

In a way Bose revolutioned the satellite speakers system. Till that time speakers meant huge boxes.

That does not mean Bose speakers are good or bad. It is just that they have created a hype and aura. The common man thinks "Bose = High Class". If I were to equate Bose in terms of cars, then Bose is "Maruti Suzuki Esteem" marketed (and priced) as "Toyota Camri". And this is what irks most audiophiles.

Very Very Aptly Put !!!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back