Why speaker spikes are pointed end?

sudhirbhosale

Hi friends
I was going through the design of speaker spikes. Came across below doubts:
Wondering why spikes have pointed ends?
If point load transfer is objective then can there be tiny rounded end of 2mm radius?
what value spikes add to the system? apart from providing stable/sturdy base and help to kill cabinate vibrations?
Are there any spike types/categories?
Is it useful for Floor stander or also Bookshelfs
Do the material i.e. wood, steel, brass, aluminium makes difference? As soft materials like wood, aluminium good for vibration absorption but i did not see wood and aluminium spikes, rest materials I saw.

1. Its claimed at https://soundfoundations.in/products/spikes/ that they noticeable difference in audio also when used under DAC ..... what is opinion/experience from forum members?
They really do wonders to the appearance of you speakers and yes, they are perfect for use with high-end audio equipment. Whether it’s a speaker a DAC or a preamplifier, the improvement in audio quality is very noticeable

2. These guys did simple test for spike difference:

Thanks
Sudhir

All isolations, spikes do bring about a difference in sound... Running on grass versus concrete vs mud has its differences...

What I realized recently - by placing isolators under cdp, it no doubt made the sound more precise, clinical... But, robbed it off the mid bass lushness.. Switched it back.

Similarly, u would go with what the speaker maker has recommended, if they come, with spikes, it's for a reason. That doesn't stop you from experimenting. If you are here, in this forum...u are never satisfied with your gear as it is and are looking for improvement.

Jenson, can you post links to measurements that prove so?

Sorry, not interested in that.

I have never looked at measurements...measurements are good for manufacfirrrs, helps them build consistency.

As for me, I perhaps am last of the few (many on this forum) who trust their ears.

Good luck.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back