wooden rack for diy

For the next steps for the rack, I am a bit confused... for the polishing part. what are the various options which can be done?

someone told about asian paints 1k PU warnish polish.
But my concern is that will be kind of transparent. It may look good on wood, but not on plywood. The plywood still has the black text of the company name / logo written in the middle.

Normally plywood is covered with laminate or veneer
In your case, it looks like you have already assembled it without either.
You can sand, seal and polish the legs.
Planks, sand and paint it, use edge banding if you don't it to get complicated.
Anyways polishing ply will only protect the surface, no aesthetic guarantee.

Cheers,
Raghu

Normally plywood is covered with laminate or veneer
In your case, it looks like you have already assembled it without either.
You can sand, seal and polish the legs.
Planks, sand and paint it, use edge banding if you don't it to get complicated.
Anyways polishing ply will only protect the surface, no aesthetic guarantee.

Cheers,
Raghu
Ok. what kind of paint can we use for plywood?.. and after that should i apply polish once the paint dries?

You may use ordinary enamel or some fancy glossy paint. Glossy finish will require a spray unit.
Enamel will just require couple of coats of wood primer and couple of coats of paint.
Polish is usually for hardwood; yes it is better to apply polish after painting the planks.
Sand and seal everything before top coat (paint or polish)
Paint finish will depend on how good your brush strokes are.
For polish, use Sheenlac NC sealer (1 or 2 coats sanding in between) followed by Sheenlac NC polish.

Cheers,
Raghu

If you can dismantle the shelf's then your paint job will be easy. Use clear laqer on Pillars and Paint the shelf in Black. Surface preparation is the key for better finish so, before starting paint job get some idea from online you-tube videos, your job will be lot easier then.

You can polish full stand including plywood with Shellac mixed with spirit. This is the same stuff used in polishing wooden temples for home. It's available with most of hardware shop. You will need to cover it with Melamine or clear coat. Please google the process. Everything can be done with cotton cloth, available at hardware shops for the same purpose. I recently get it done my audio rack, speaker stands and Lp storage same way.
0fLQnEP.jpg

Regards
Sachin

Pictures of final rack in use.

First I started using it bare, without any polish / primer / paint to get the hang of it.
I observed that the sound changed slightly, compared to before when there was no rack and the amplifier was lying on the floor with all space open on top of it.

I observed that the sound was now slightly coarse. Slight increase in bass. Was sounding 'dry' sometimes. The music came forward by one-two feets. I was not very happy because the setup before this rack was sounding smoother to me and more spacious before. Was not sure whether the plywood was causing 'reflection' or 'absorption' of sound waves.

Then thought of getting 'Cork Sheet' and applying them to the plywood shelves. I had read that it can help to 'absorb' the sound instead of reflecting. But then dropped the idea.

Then I had lying in the house 'linoleum sheet', (pvc sheet which is put on floors normally).
I cut four of them and put on each rack. (Not stick yet)
I feel the sound is better than bare plywood.

Attachments

• rack1.jpeg
    rack1.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 91
  • rack2.jpeg
    rack2.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 90
  • rack3.jpeg
    rack3.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 91
Current pictures...
The rack i cut and reduced the height. The long height (and material used) i felt was impacting the sound negatively.

Attachments

• mus1.jpg
    mus1.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 58
  • mus2.jpg
    mus2.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 56
  • mus3.jpg
    mus3.jpg
    506.5 KB · Views: 59
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back