World space india to shut shop

mnhegde

Last edited:
I also received an email to file for a claim... Now really need to find an alternative. I guess- digital HDD.

Dear customer,

On December 31, 2009, the WorldSpace satellite radio broadcast service will be terminated for all customers serviced from India.

This action is an outgrowth of the financial difficulties facing WorldSpace Indias parent company, WorldSpace, Inc., which has been under bankruptcy protection since October 2008. The potential buyer of much of WorldSpaces global assets has decided not to buy the WorldSpace assets relating to and supporting WorldSpaces subscription business in India. As a consequence, WorldSpace, Inc. must discontinue its subscriber business in India. Your subscription contract is with WorldSpace, Inc., a US company that is in a bankruptcy proceeding in the United States. The company recognizes that you may have paid for services to be rendered beyond the termination date, but is not in a position to offer a refund for any unused portion of your subscription.

You may have a potential remedy under the U.S. bankruptcy law. You may file a claim under the claims procedure that is intended to protect creditors of the bankrupt company. Sometime early next year, a claim servicing company will send notice to all creditors listed by the company. In order to ensure that you receive timely notice, we would request that you send the following information by mail or email to Rakesh Raghavan at WorldSpace, Inc. headquarters in the United States.

1. Name

2. Address

3. Email

4. Subscription Account Number

5. Date of Subscription

6. Length of Subscription

7. Amount paid for your current subscription

Send this information to: By email -- [email protected] or by regular mail Rakesh Raghavan, WorldSpace, Inc. 8515 Georgia AV, Silver Spring, MD 20910 USA.

Our sincere apologies for this circumstance.

s/ Robert Schmitz
Chief Restructuring Officer
WorldSpace, Inc.

sad news... the worldspace was indeed a rite of passage (for good or bad) for aficionados of radio at least....

I also received an email to file for a claim... Now really need to find an alternative. I guess- digital HDD.

Dear customer,

On December 31, 2009, the WorldSpace satellite radio broadcast service will be terminated for all customers serviced from India.

This action is an outgrowth of the financial difficulties facing WorldSpace Indias parent company, WorldSpace, Inc., which has been under bankruptcy protection since October 2008. The potential buyer of much of WorldSpaces global assets has decided not to buy the WorldSpace assets relating to and supporting WorldSpaces subscription business in India. As a consequence, WorldSpace, Inc. must discontinue its subscriber business in India. Your subscription contract is with WorldSpace, Inc., a US company that is in a bankruptcy proceeding in the United States. The company recognizes that you may have paid for services to be rendered beyond the termination date, but is not in a position to offer a refund for any unused portion of your subscription.

You may have a potential remedy under the U.S. bankruptcy law. You may file a claim under the claims procedure that is intended to protect creditors of the bankrupt company. Sometime early next year, a claim servicing company will send notice to all creditors listed by the company. In order to ensure that you receive timely notice, we would request that you send the following information by mail or email to Rakesh Raghavan at WorldSpace, Inc. headquarters in the United States.

1. Name

2. Address

3. Email

4. Subscription Account Number

5. Date of Subscription

6. Length of Subscription

7. Amount paid for your current subscription

Send this information to: By email -- [email protected] or by regular mail Rakesh Raghavan, WorldSpace, Inc. 8515 Georgia AV, Silver Spring, MD 20910 USA.

Our sincere apologies for this circumstance.

s/ Robert Schmitz
Chief Restructuring Officer
WorldSpace, Inc.

---------
Anyway the quality was just around MP3 -or below that?
What not consider a better source?
whatever you say about CD's -however they are recorded they are far better than worldspace....
Invest in CD's and a decent CDP
or make a semi audiophile PC...

Hemant

i am not sure if folks would agree with this weak analogy ...but a broadcasting service (worldspace or anything else ) is akin to a library whereas buying our own listening stuff is like purchasing books from the store (which may unfortunately not be available in ones own home town)

For me Worldspace was very good as it handled my needs more than adequately

1. Ease of use
2. Choice of Music
3. Non stop music without having to change CD's

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

I suppose a company that tried to sell 'digital' radio, with set-top boxes that had no digital outputs, deserved to die. The very customer that might have been willing to pay for their service, the one with decent sound systems, were the one's that the company totally ignored. They tried to mass market a product which even in the US is, to an extent, a niche market. Bottom line is the the company was run by technically challenged and ignorant people. Thus their closure does not come as a surprise, rather the surprise is that they survived as long as they did.

Hi,

It is to keep the prices low they started on this concept. How many people really check out whether the stbs have digital out or not ? Further when they started out in some years back they had a range of hitachi, sanyo and other ? fine quality stbs but unfortunately it did not catch on therefore they shifted to low cost boxes. Unfortunately subscription to the service is a niche market and may not easy to survive

---------
Anyway the quality was just around MP3 -or below that?
What not consider a better source?
whatever you say about CD's -however they are recorded they are far better than worldspace....
Invest in CD's and a decent CDP
or make a semi audiophile PC...

Hemant

I dont quite agree with you. The WorldSpace SQ was quite very good, the variety was amazing and no adverts at all!

The SQ provided by World Space is far below true CD Quality and its quiet difficult to survive with 2 channel music broadcast. Most people nowadays watch movies in their Home Theater with their 5.1 setup.:lol:

People paying to listen to radio which is normally assumed to be FREE, was a concept hitherto considered as "alien" in India. Still it had its clientele in restaurants, bars where there is a need for playing music continuously without ads or boring RJ's.

Irrespective of what anyone says, I think WS is (and hopefully will continue to be) one of the best radio programs I have every heard. The RJs had extraordinary knowledge and were always very friendly. They have answered all my questions about singers, genre, film, or any other question I threw at them.

After reading this thread I put on WS, and I see that they continue to deliver the same professionalism in spite of not knowing whether they will get their month's salary. Hats off to them.

My ears have been opened by WS to new (to me) genres, songs I did not know existed, and songs I had completely forgotten. Over the last 12 odd months I have built a personal library of over 1000 songs after listening to WS.

It is extraordinary that for a mere 14 paise a day, you could choose from over 40 channels and listen to music 24/365. Even if you choose to use the Net, it will cost you at least 10 times more in just connectivity. I have yet to come across any channel on the Net that has the database and knowledge of WS. And you have the great buffering issue unless you pay a king's ransom for connectivity. And of course, you have to constantly surf and choose. In WS my remote did everything.

In homage to a great service, my WS is not going to be switched off till they go off the air, even if my wife looks as if I need to be sent to a asylum.

Cheers

Outgrowth, indeed! :sad:

Thad, the Queen's English was buried the day the US became the richest country in the world. The future of English will be controlled by them with ample help from South Americans, the African Americans, Jamaicans, and the 26 languages of India !

All the British can do is constantly shake their head and quietly add words and phrases they frown upon into the dictionaries. Is there an option unless they was to be social outcast in world affairs? I don't think so.

Believe me, I doubt if I will be able to understand a word of what my grandchild will speak. Wren and Martin, may actually be relegated to a museum as a reference that our 'idiotic' forefathers were stupid enough to follow. Imagine a stream of kinds gazing at a pristine copy of Wren&Martin printed by Oxford, and giggling. When I listen to kinds nowadays I feel like a Neanderthal. Let me go and kill a boar for my dinner. Growwwwwllll !!!

Cheers

Last edited:
Irrespective of what anyone says, I think WS is (and hopefully will continue to be) one of the best radio programs I have every heard. The RJs had extraordinary knowledge and were always very friendly. They have answered all my questions about singers, genre, film, or any other question I threw at them.

After reading this thread I put on WS, and I see that they continue to deliver the same professionalism in spite of not knowing whether they will get their month's salary. Hats off to them.

My ears have been opened by WS to new (to me) genres, songs I did not know existed, and songs I had completely forgotten. Over the last 12 odd months I have built a personal library of over 1000 songs after listening to WS.

It is extraordinary that for a mere 14 paise a day, you could choose from over 40 channels and listen to music 24/365. Even if you choose to use the Net, it will cost you at least 10 times more in just connectivity. I have yet to come across any channel on the Net that has the database and knowledge of WS. And you have the great buffering issue unless you pay a king's ransom for connectivity. And of course, you have to constantly surf and choose. In WS my remote did everything.

In homage to a great service, my WS is not going to be switched off till they go off the air, even if my wife looks as if I need to be sent to a asylum.

Cheers

I couldn't agree more with you- I feel the same way and in the same boat.

Most things money can buy but I always felt Worldspace was a product / service that gave me more pleasure for my money!

--
helium
Amp: Lyrita SET 2A3
Speakers: Vintage B&W DM4
Source: LG DVD + Beresford DAC
Cables: Lyrita's I.C & cables

So with best possible gear ( Bryston or Larita) and Speakers and Dac you are satisfied with Bad source like DVD player transport or Worldspace?

Please hear a good ( or average) cd on CD player with digital out ,and you will elaize what you were missing....or hear a good record on TT..

The chain is as strong as weakest link and longtime I suspect that the source is VERY WEAK in this case.In fact you should have collected Good Cd's or FLAC first ,then tried a good PC or Bit Perfect CD player and then tried valve amplification. I am doubtful if digital out in LG DVD player is bit perfect ( expert comments please) and as a transport it is too jittery.(Again expert comments please)

Hemant

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back