The World Space Team is back!!

Sai Global Harmony - Direct live broadcast from puttaparthi is still going on (17tj January 2012) in world space. Every morning 8 AM Rudram chant and 9 AM onwards Bhajans and so on. I dont know how. But I am regularly listening to it. I too have received no reply from timbre media. They can very well publish the details in their website.

Sai Global Harmony - Direct live broadcast from puttaparthi is still going on (17tj January 2012) in world space. Every morning 8 AM Rudram chant and 9 AM onwards Bhajans and so on. I dont know how. But I am regularly listening to it. I too have received no reply from timbre media. They can very well publish the details in their website.

You are right, Sai Global Harmony is transmitting on AsiaStar. Its the only channel broadcasting current content. The 2 other test channels are playing a looped Maestro recording piece from 2001. Not surprised that Sai Global Harmony is back on Asiastar given the fact that the original founder of worldspace, Noah Samara now owns the satellites and related infrastructure. The history is that Noah initially intended to use worldspace to reach out to millions of people for social causes. When he visited India, he had a meeting with Sathya Sai Baba and was so impressed with the Baba's teachings that he offered to carry a radio broadcast of Baba's teachings on worldspace. This resulted in the launch of Sai Global Harmony and broadcasts over worldspace commenced. The service was offered Free to Air across Asia and on a payable basis across Africa. When the AmericaStar launch was put off, Sai Global Harmony started using the internet to broadcast to that part of the world. Some history for you....

Obviously Yazmi (owned by Noah Samara), the company that owns the satellites, has decided to put SGH back on air...

Finally!!

The everyday worldspace user can now get back on worldspace....Timbre has been launched on Vodafone.

Check this out!!

Light Reading India - 4G/LTE - Vodafone Launches Worldspace Radio - Telecom News Wire

Info from the Vodafone website:

Enjoy 10 stations with the Vodafone Worldspace Radio on your mobile phone

Listen to more than 1,00,000 songs on 10 stations. Choose from Bollywood hits to ghazals to regional music and much much more. We also have great shows lined up with some of the best RJs.

But thats not it! Get music trivia on some of the greatest voices in Indian music
Kishore Kumar, RD Burman, Lata Mangeshkar, KJ Yesudas, Bhupen Hazarika, Gurdass Mann and many more.

You can also listen to On-Demand Stations of your choice: romantic songs, dance hits, folk songs among others!

These are the 10 exclusive stations:
Farishta Best of Bollywood!
Falak The greatest ghazals!
Sonar The best Bengali music ever!
Umang All the flavours of Gujarat!
Surabhi The best of Marathi music!
Tunak The greatest Punjabi hits!
Sparsha Legends of Kannada music!
Thenisai The greatest hits in Tamil ever!
Spandana Best Telugu classics!
Madhuri Classics and latest Malayalam hits!

How to activate:
These are the three quick ways to activate:
Call 58000 (toll free)
SMS : sms ACT Wradio to 111 (toll free)
USSD: *514*580#

Charges:Enjoy Worldspace Radio at Rs 30/month with 300 minutes of free usage

Note:The service is not live in AP, Gujarat, Kolkatta and HP

Last edited:
Any way I can re-activate my Hitachi Worldspace Radio using Vodafone's services??? It is currently reduced to playing FM channels only! ... but, still lucky enough since it plays FM, else, would have been a total waste.

Any way I can re-activate my Hitachi Worldspace Radio using Vodafone's services??? It is currently reduced to playing FM channels only! ... but, still lucky enough since it plays FM, else, would have been a total waste.

the answers is obviously no...vodafone is providing the service over mobile :eek:

Interesting...the first para of the Worldspace overview on wikipedia has been updated. I myself always wondered why the broadcasts are still going on despite Worldspace closing down.

1worldspace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am still listening to the bits and pieces of Maestro content which is being broadcast at this point. Use it to put my 2 sons to sleep, every night.

VERY misleqading to refer to the new enterpirse ( still not a reality) as WorldSpace. :-(

Worldspace was a service from a dedicated satellite.

The new plan is to simply add similar (to Worldspace) content on various DTH platforms ( most already carry many FM Radio stations) and to stream it on mobile phones.

You cant even use the original Worldspace Receivers...

Worldspace ? Hardly. :-(

VERY misleqading to refer to the new enterpirse ( still not a reality) as WorldSpace. :-(

Worldspace was a service from a dedicated satellite.

The new plan is to simply add similar (to Worldspace) content on various DTH platforms ( most already carry many FM Radio stations) and to stream it on mobile phones.

You cant even use the original Worldspace Receivers...

Worldspace ? Hardly. :-(

agree...some bits and pieces of the satellite broadcast still exist...and i'm still using my worldspace satellite radio to listen to these broadcasts.

Hi Reubensm,

I am in Kerala.
I have a BPL WS reciever... but unable to pick up AfriStar. Can you pls update.

When i tried last, it was over a month ago. These were my observations:

Afristar - 12 channels were on air, with no broadcast content. Just silence
Asiastar - 1 channel was on air, Sai Global Harmony, the Maestro music was discontinued

Please note that the Afristar beam received in Trivandrum is the Africa East beam. I'm told that WRN is still being broadcast on the South African beam.

The Afristar signal when compared to Asiastar is weak. That's why worldspace launched Asiastar in the first place. You have to look for it carefully. What is your location in Trivandrum? Apartment building or Villa?

I am out of station currently so cannot check firsthand. Thanks.

I loved listening to Top 40 on World space. Good to know its back. I don't mind opting for an additional 256kbps or 512kbps connection but if it requires my computer to be switched on everytime I want to listen to it, then no way....

Turned on my worldspace radio after a long period, last night, just to see what's happening with what's left of it. Tuned to Asiastar, and was surprised to note that Sai Global Harmony has now been replaced by a new channel called YAZMIAUD (probably the shortened version of YAZMI AUDIO) and they are currently playing a music piece as a call sign. There is another channel running called YAZMIDATA which is a non-audio channel. Will try Afristar over the weekend so see what's happening out there.

for those who are not familiar with YAZMI, this is the company (YAZMI LLP) floated by Noah Samara (worldspace founder) who bought the worldspace satellites and some of the assets after bankruptcy was filed.

Checked out the Afristar beam, 12 "no-audio" channels are currently on air. Not sure what Afristar and Asiastar are kept running for..

Turned on my worldspace radio after a long period, last night, just to see what's happening with what's left of it. Tuned to Asiastar, and was surprised to note that Sai Global Harmony has now been replaced by a new channel called YAZMIAUD (probably the shortened version of YAZMI AUDIO) and they are currently playing a music piece as a call sign. There is another channel running called YAZMIDATA which is a non-audio channel. Will try Afristar over the weekend so see what's happening out there.

Is Worldspace radio coming on Airtel DTH ? I saw some announcement to that effect . Can anyone confirm ?

yes, we've heard a lot about Timbre Media being formed by erstwhile WS employees and their venture for providing worldspace content on mobile, online streaming, DTH and in pre-recorded format. Not sure what happened after the launch over vodafone, guess their business model may have been revisited. Probably their market research showed them that people would prefer to listen to FTH online radio rather than pay for it. Lots of buzz late last year and earlier this year, but little actually happened.

However, saw this today:

Worldspace Radio back with 12 channels on Airtel Digital | Real Time News, India

A bit disappointed given the fact that the content is 100% local. None of the western channels feature as of now.

Last edited:

Hi there, first post here on the forum. Discovered this thread by looking up the new TimbreMedia/Worldspace content on Airtel DTH.

I am a Satellite radio advocate here in the USA (SiriusXM Radio), and was excited to see this post about Yazmi uplinking possible content to Asiastar. Could this be a possible return of a Africa/Asia satellite radio network? I know the satellites are pretty close to end-of-life (15 years from launch)

What do you think Yazmi is up to really?

Hi there, first post here on the forum. Discovered this thread by looking up the new TimbreMedia/Worldspace content on Airtel DTH.

I am a Satellite radio advocate here in the USA (SiriusXM Radio), and was excited to see this post about Yazmi uplinking possible content to Asiastar. Could this be a possible return of a Africa/Asia satellite radio network? I know the satellites are pretty close to end-of-life (15 years from launch)

What do you think Yazmi is up to really?

Hi, nice to hear from you. When Worldspace filed for bankruptcy, SirumXM was in line to buy out some of its key assets, especially the uplinking equipment, satellites, licenses, etc. This approach suggested that there was a planned launch of satellite radio services across Asia and Africa. However the deal fell through and Worldspace was preparing to send its 2 active satellites into higher orbit where they would burn out (decommission them). Noah Samara, the original founder of Worldspace but together a company called Yazmi LLP and bought the Worldspace assets (including the satellites) for about $5 million or so. Since the closure of Worldspace India on 31 December 2009 and the closure of Worldspace South Africa on 31 January 2010, free to air channels were available on both Afristar (East beam) and Asiastar (South & East beam). The Afristar free channels included WRN, NPR and BBC. However, since of late, Afristar is broadcasting 12 channels with no content (just silence). Asiastar on the other hand, had a local religious channel, Sai Global Harmony running until recently. They also used to play old Maestro (western classical) content on a separate test channel. Recently both these channels have ceased to exist and a new channel "Yazmiaud" has appeared playing a call sign. Here in Trivandrum/South India, we can receive signals from both Afristar (east beam) and Asiastar (south and east beam)

Not sure what the plans are. The satellites are close to the end of their active life spans (especially Afristar) and Yazmi also has the 3rd worldspace satellite (which was never launched) in storage. Currently the satellites are being kept alive by Intelsat. Also, many of the former Worldspace customers have put their radios in the loft, so simply thrown then away. However, given the popularity worldspace enjoyed during its hayday, it is likely that they will get back an even bigger customer base if they come back on the air, provided they get their customer service back in order.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back