worldspace???

anm

Hi,
Lot of experienced people (Kamal, Venkat) have suggested worldspace as a good source to get introduced to different genres of music, without spending too much on CDs etc.

Which is a good receiver available? That has good analog out, and if there exists one, a digital out. Or, worldspace + internet radio?

Is there anything comparable to worldpace in the same budget, ease of use and quality? Like an internet radio subscription?Currently for me it may work out a little more expensive as I do not have any hardware that can play internet radio.

Does anyone has an experience of worldspace on airtel dth tv? How is it and what all channels are covered?

What is the best way to share the worldspace connection in all rooms of my house?

regards

Pls notice the subject line, it is in line with the latest trend :eek:hyeah:

Currently I am using worldspace with BPL radio at my work place and as far as the quality is concerned, its good. For the internet radio the SQ is ok because the music is mosly in the compressed MP3 format with bandwidth upto 320kbps. Currently I am using Internet radio on my Onkyo Nr905 Avr. If you want to really test the SQ of the internet radio then log on Free Internet Radio - SHOUTcast Radio - Thousands of Free Online Radio Stations and hear for yourself.

Currently i am using worldspace BPL receiver, Quality was good until i moved out of my independent house to apartment. Getting the signal in an apartment which is facing opposite to their satellite is nightmare. Recently i kept antena on terrace top with a long 10 mtr cable which itself affected the quality. Moreover you wont find a qualified Engineer with worldspace who could solve this problem. They come with minimal tools and tie up small antenna somewhere and the moment they leave/or after few days you get a message on receiver "TDM Gone":p this is message is worldspace equivalent of "Signal Lost".

I renewed for 6 months and 70% of the time music get disrupted due to signal problem. Before buying you should make sure that you are located in a right place and you get a perfect signal minimum of 5 signal bars.

Hi,
Lot of experienced people (Kamal, Venkat) have suggested worldspace as a good source to get introduced to different genres of music, without spending too much on CDs etc.

Which is a good receiver available? That has good analog out, and if there exists one, a digital out. Or, worldspace + internet radio?

Is there anything comparable to worldpace in the same budget, ease of use and quality? Like an internet radio subscription?Currently for me it may work out a little more expensive as I do not have any hardware that can play internet radio.

Does anyone has an experience of worldspace on airtel dth tv? How is it and what all channels are covered?

What is the best way to share the worldspace connection in all rooms of my house?

regards

Pls notice the subject line, it is in line with the latest trend :eek:hyeah:

I bought Airtel DTH mainly for Worldspace. They give 10 channels as of now which include Farishta (old Hindi songs), Shruti (Carnatic), Dhruv (Hindustani), Spin (Western Pop), Upcountry (western), Spandana (Telugu), Falak (ghazals etc), Moksha (devotional and light instrumental), another couple of stations I dont recall.

Audio quality is very good (in full stereophonic sound). Main advantage over Worldspace radio is there are no problem with receiving signals since these are transmitted through Airtel's satellite to your set top box.

I am sure they will be adding more stations in due course.

Regds / Shailender

I am seriously considering airtel for the music channels. How would you rate the selections? Are they worth listening to on a 4-5 hr window? I prefer background music whenever I do stuff and would not mind the airtel music channels.

Currently i am using worldspace BPL receiver, Quality was good until i moved out of my independent house to apartment. Getting the signal in an apartment which is facing opposite to their satellite is nightmare. Recently i kept antena on terrace top with a long 10 mtr cable which itself affected the quality. Moreover you wont find a qualified Engineer with worldspace who could solve this problem. They come with minimal tools and tie up small antenna somewhere and the moment they leave/or after few days you get a message on receiver "TDM Gone":p this is message is worldspace equivalent of "Signal Lost".

I renewed for 6 months and 70% of the time music get disrupted due to signal problem. Before buying you should make sure that you are located in a right place and you get a perfect signal minimum of 5 signal bars.

I was facing similar issues with the stock "Patch antenna". My problems got resolved by switching to the "Yagi antenna" fitted with a Low Noise Amplifier (LNA). You might want to try that option out.

Cheers!

I was facing similar issues with the stock "Patch antenna". My problems got resolved by switching to the "Yagi antenna" fitted with a Low Noise Amplifier (LNA). You might want to try that option out.

Cheers!

Hi rydhun,

What is the cost of yagi antena and how much space it occupy,

i paid Rs.600 for a yaggi antenna. length will be approx. 30 cms. you can fix it easily.

I am seriously considering airtel for the music channels. How would you rate the selections? Are they worth listening to on a 4-5 hr window? I prefer background music whenever I do stuff and would not mind the airtel music channels.

I have a regular WorldSpace connection, not an Airtel one. But some channels are common I guess, so here are my thoughts. Worldspace plays for around 10 hours everyday at my place, and I find the selection good & non-repetitive. Since it's commercial-free (only short Worldspace jingles) and there are very few RJ-interruptions, it's a good background music option. Over time, you get tuned to their jingles and it doesn't distract you anymore. Of course, there are some channels and times when they air Talk shows and interviews. I mostly listen to the following channels: Spin, Jhankaar, Moksha, Radio Art of Living, Orbit Rock, Farishta & Tunak Punjabi (morning & evening paaths).

The only 2 things I find lacking: SQ of WS receiver OUT has a little higher bass, but I'm using the entry level WS receiver (BPL Diva) which could be the cause. The other thing I wish I could know is the song title and artist, so that if I like a song I could look up the CD & considering buying it. Not sure if any of the high-end receivers come with a song display option.

Cheers!

Hi rydhun,

What is the cost of yagi antena and how much space it occupy,

AFAIR: I think I paid around 1200 or so for the entire thing (the antenna, LNA & fitting charges) when I got it fitted. It's around 10 inch L X 3 inch W and looks like an old-style TV antenna. It can be fixed to a pipe, railing etc. and aligned such that one end of the longer pipe points towards the sky. The Yagi antenna can work without Line of sight to the satellite too.

Cheers!

The other thing I wish I could know is the song title and artist, so that if I like a song I could look up the CD & considering buying it. Not sure if any of the high-end receivers come with a song display option.

Cheers!

Current receiver model listed on worldspace india site has capability to display song title+artist.

Thanks a lot guys!
even i am planning to shift fom dishtv to airtel for the sake of world space only!

Worldspace's new receivers come with a Digital Out option. That way you can decode it through an external DAC and get very good quality of sound. I use it with a simple Sony system, and I am quite happy with it's performance. I also have a Yagi antenna that was fixed a few years ago and completely forgotten.

cheers

hey venkat, how much is the receiver with the digital out?

Worldspace's new receivers come with a Digital Out option. That way you can decode it through an external DAC and get very good quality of sound. I use it with a simple Sony system, and I am quite happy with it's performance. I also have a Yagi antenna that was fixed a few years ago and completely forgotten.

cheers

I am sorry I have no idea.

Cheers

I don't see one on their webpage, could you please tell me what brand the receiver was and where you saw it?

Also, anyone here using their Airtel Digital TV for Worldspace reception, especially through it's dig. out?

Cheers!

I have connected 3 Recievers to 2 Yagi Antennas, which are fitted on the roof of my house.Two BPL Divas are connected to one antenna with a T connector and my JVC Reciever is connected to the other Yagi,and plays through the music system. With LNA's on both antennas,there is no problem with the signal and the SQ is also listenable. Needless to say,all 3 recievers are used frequently by me and the family, and we can all hear which ever channels we want without driving each other up the wall.
Cheers

Hi friends,

i booked my airtel dish today. the good part was that my dish tv antenna and STB will not be totally useless. the person would use the same antenna and reduce another 500 for the STB. so in all i would save rs 1100. not bad.

the stb does not have digital out.

another good part is top ups. so iam taking the basic plan+ music top up for rs 25/ month.if i don't like the worldspace, i can shut it down after 1 month without loss. my TV will keep working.

Hi friends,

i booked my airtel dish today. the good part was that my dish tv antenna and STB will not be totally useless. the person would use the same antenna and reduce another 500 for the STB. so in all i would save rs 1100. not bad.

the stb does not have digital out.

another good part is top ups. so iam taking the basic plan+ music top up for rs 25/ month.if i don't like the worldspace, i can shut it down after 1 month without loss. my TV will keep working.

Thanks for this update. I guess you don't get all the channels on Worldspace? Anyone here using dig. out on their Airtel Digital TV?

Thanks for this update. I guess you don't get all the channels on Worldspace? Anyone here using dig. out on their Airtel Digital TV?

yes! you do not get all channels. i will get only 10 channels. out of that only 3 will be useful to me

Farishta: Old hindi
Falak: gazals
Gandharva: hindustani classical.
sometimes i may listen to Spin(english pop) and upcountry(the meaning of which i am yet to understand.:eek:)

i am venturing into this because i am trying to develop some taste of indian classical. i do like presentations of sanjeev abhyankar but i have experienced that i buy classical CDs for 300 or so and then dump them as i don't like the stuff much. i can't be that extravagant. so rs 25/ month is a cheaper option to try classical music.

i hope the airtel rpovides at lest Zankar(new hindi) and marathi chanal in future.:)

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back