Worth buying Onkyo tx-ds939 ?

accord

Greetings to all..

One of my contact is selling his ONKYO TX-DS939 avr is in very good condition. Is it worth buying considering it's as around 10 years. I saw few online reviews mentioning it a top of the line amp good for both music and movies.

Please advise.

Regards, Amit

Some of the later audio codec's like DTS ,Dolby TrueHD,Dolby Digital Plus, et al. may not be present in it. Also doesn't seem to have any calibration software.

Hi

If you are looking for pre owned, see the For Sale by owner section, definitely more options available which support latest formats

I used to work for a dealer for Onkyo and DS 939 was a top of the line receiver.

If I am not wrong, it decodes upto DD only. But balls to walls receiver with a torroidal transformer and oodles of power!

If the unit you are getting is in top condition, and the fan works on switching on, get it if the price is good and the unit is perfect mechanically.

You can always use the analogue out and ins for getting the latest decoders. These so called "LATEST" AVRs are usually very anaemic and lack power and only have lots of circuits and show inside and outside.

Trust me as I run analogue with my Denon AVR 3803 receiver and I do not miss a thing!

Thank to all for your suggestions.. i m interested in this avr coz of its condition i.e. 9/10 but dont know much of this.

Hi dear, avr in is very good condition and fan also working when i checked. can you please explain how i can use analogue out and ins if it not supports latest codecs.

regards..

I used to work for a dealer for Onkyo and DS 939 was a top of the line receiver.

If I am not wrong, it decodes upto DD only. But balls to walls receiver with a torroidal transformer and oodles of power!

If the unit you are getting is in top condition, and the fan works on switching on, get it if the price is good and the unit is perfect mechanically.

You can always use the analogue out and ins for getting the latest decoders. These so called "LATEST" AVRs are usually very anaemic and lack power and only have lots of circuits and show inside and outside.

Trust me as I run analogue with my Denon AVR 3803 receiver and I do not miss a thing!

By taking the analogue out from any source (Blu ray player etc.) and running 5.1 or 7.1 to the ins of the 939, you can get the decoding done at the source (blu ray player etc.) you will get almost all the latest codecs etc.

I just fall in love with 939 after listening (i think it happens with all of us :p) and finally took home last saturday and got a compliment from HM that cant be disclosed here :eek:.

AVR is in very good condition with learning remote (that needs extra table ;), super heavy more then 25kg, looks very premium and required some time to understand via manual.

After doing lot of tweaks and experiments of settings, here is my experience -

Music - Just awesome and melodious, dali again surprised me with what kind of detailed music these can produce. Music wise this is far ahead from my earlier amps. I also have heard NAD, marantz amps during audition of dali fs and think 939 is more musical than these as per my personnel knowledge and understanding.

Movies - I watched transformer, Jurassic park 1; 939 just changed the character of all speakers even when i dont have sub in my setup. While watching JP1 there was raining & lightning outside & my kids though that real dinosaurs are going to come from window :eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:..

Till now experience is very good except one fault - cooling was not working and unit gets heat up :mad:. My solution - fixed a 12v CPU fan as an exhaust from outside on existing fan, sealed with 3m tape and amp is super cool since then :yahoo:.

If the onkyo 939 has digital inputs, (i believe its there--2 optical inputs)then you can use toslink cables from bluray/media player and let the BDP do the processing decoding done at the source (blu ray player/media player) and send the audio signal. As most of the current BDP s doesnt have audio 5.1 analog out.

Thanks for your reply dear.

My pioneer bdp170 dont have optical out only 1 caox, 1 stereo & 1 hdmi out. how can i use these for processing and digital out should set to bitstream/ pcm of reencoded ?
939 also dont have 5.1 analog input.

Greetings to all..

One of my contact is selling his ONKYO TX-DS939 avr is in very good condition. Is it worth buying considering it's as around 10 years. I saw few online reviews mentioning it a top of the line amp good for both music and movies.

Please advise.

Regards, Amit
Bought mine in 1998 and paid $2,800 for it, is a Work Horse sounds absolutely great on my Klipsch THX surround sound speakers which I also bought qin 1998 for $5,000. I still use my unit for music only. I am on my THird Okyo current being the RZ50 Model, last One was I think a rx 810 or something like that. All High End equipment. Would not trade these for anything else.

Bought mine in 1998 and paid $2,800 for it, is a Work Horse sounds absolutely great on my Klipsch THX surround sound speakers which I also bought qin 1998 for $5,000. I still use my unit for music only. I am on my THird Okyo current being the RZ50 Model, last One was I think a rx 810 or something like that. All High End equipment. Would not trade these for anything else.
You know just replied to a 7 year old thread right?

My 12 years old ONKYO AMP is still working quite well , only minor issues with Volume + settings knob. I am not able to configure my AMP without this, My Remote is also dead. I am just using it for TV watching , so its ok.

As per ONKYO its very good AMP for movies , very good Front & surround sound. Since you mentioned AMP is 10 years old , just check thoroughly including all buttons are working / or if you have remote working it should be good. And Check all sound channels are working.. then proceed.

Since its already 10 years old AMP you may expect some issue sooner , so bargain well and get for the best price.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back