Worth Buying vintahe Tannoy Driver ?

Audio_Freek

Hi All,

Good Afternoon,Due to much craze towards Vintage gears my current Search has ended at Tannoy DMT12'' Drivers. Its from one of my friends Uncle which is been not used much.

Like to know how much could these drivers worth Buying, The Cabins have damage hence just planing to pick only the Drivers+Crossovers.

The condition is 7\10 Average looking condition and could say 7\10 Working condition(They use it for a Philips Old Amp and sound it not much fine).I dont have chance to take my amp to test them too.

Your advice would be help full.:eek:hyeah: Thanks

In audiophile circles it is a common tendency to do what is considered fashionable, without knowing one's own taste. Don't go for it blindly. Try to hear it play first.

Any vintage driver including Tannoy has a different sound than modern drivers. Make sure you listen to some vintage drivers before jumping the gun. It's easy to do as there are many Tannoy owners in India by now, most of them having vintage drivers in custom cabinets.

Hearing some systems will help you understand what kind of sound do you like. If vintage sound is what you like by all means go for it. Tannoy vintage drivers are plenty in used market, they keep coming up. Though most often they command a premium I think not justified. But on the flip side, if you buy one, you can get out of it without much trouble.

Hello Sir,

Thanks for your Advice, But this is pretty New to me "Vintage Driver Sound" and Modern Day Driver Sound".

In fact after I listened to few AMP got to know what is Bright\Forward , Laid back or Neutral.

Also heard people discussing about the Set up which sounds IndianClassical Music might sound bad for Jazz or Rock or Metal etc.

So when we say Vintage speakers dies they sound different, In what means.

I use JBL L 20(Could be categorized as Semi Vintage) and they are pretty good.

I prefer Vocal and Hi frequency(Without more shrill) and some punchy Bass. I got to know that Big drivers and that too the Full Range are good for Low Feq and Mid too.

So how can i get a demo for Vintage :) Next Million dollar question.

From the top of my mind:

FM "Arj" has a not so vintage Tannoy. PM him. You will at least get to hear the Tannoy house sound.

If you are open to travel, FM "CaptRajesh" (Chennai) is building a Tannoy slowly. FM "CyberVinay" (Delhi) has experimented with many Tannoy vintage drivers.

Talk to them. See what best is possible.

PS: About vintage sound. I would much rather suggest you hear them and form your own opinion.

PPS: There is nothing vintage/semi-vintage about JBL L20.

Thanks a Lot, I dont know how long it would take for me to know atleast the Basic of the Music reproduction and its Different from Different Sources.

Journey continues...

With Tannoys you'd always have takers, so if you don't like the sound, you can always resell them on the forum if they are priced decently. In the past, I got a B&W DM3000 pair and did'nt quite like the way it sounded and also, as my career and speaker plans have taken a different direction, decided to let them go. I had a queue of buyers line up, trying to bid for the speakers, despite me putting up a fixed price and offering them to the 1st person who enquired :)

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back