Worth going for Upgrade? from Wharfy to Polk/Klipsch/KEF

With your present setting all frequencies below 80 hz will get routed to sub alone

Try setting the fronts to large and if your AVR has the option to send bass to sub as well as fronts enable it

I did try to set the Fronts as Large while keeping Crossover at 80 Hz ( LFE crossover 120 Hz) however it did not make any audible difference.

Do not see any separate option to enable sending bass to sub as well as fronts :(

Did you try excluding the sub altogether? Keep sub as `none' , fronts as `large' & crossover at 80 Hz. Increase Bass in the equalizer settings. It may help pinpointing the reason for lack of punchy bass.

I did try to set the Fronts as Large while keeping Crossover at 80 Hz ( LFE crossover 120 Hz) however it did not make any audible difference.

Do not see any separate option to enable sending bass to sub as well as fronts :(

My Yamaha has the following in settings:
Setups-->Speaker-->Manual Setup-->Configuration-->

a) Set speakers to Large
b) Use Subwoofer
c) Extra Bass --- Set to ON-- This will enable Bass on all speakers set as large in addition to Sub
d) Bass Crossover : Select -- 80 K Hz is a good starting point

I am sure Denon also will have some thing similar to above in settings.
Other FMs using Denon - please confirm.

Just as a food for thought, not boasting! Yesterday evening I played ` Black Cow' by Steely Dan in 2-channel only, i.e. without sub, only my 2504 FS. The bass was rib-cracking, no ringing, no distortions, only solid strokes of the big drum. My den is 12x10. So don't loose heart my friend! Yours will also work. Otherwise we have to sue Wharfdale :)

Just as a food for thought, not boasting! Yesterday evening I played ` Black Cow' by Steely Dan in 2-channel only, i.e. without sub, only my 2504 FS. The bass was rib-cracking, no ringing, no distortions, only solid strokes of the big drum. My den is 12x10. So don't loose heart my friend! Yours will also work. Otherwise we have to sue Wharfdale :)

:D I should try that track

Forgot to ask which Speakers/AVR are you enjoying?

Hello Ankit,

I would like you to try few things before you upgrade.

1. Change the power cord of your amp. Go with a 2.5 sqmm x 3 core power cord.

2. Don't use any power strip with filters inside. In fact most of the power strips use very thin wire and cheap sockets. Get one made from a local electrician using 2.5 sqmm wire. The wire can be finolex or Havells. For sockets i would suggest Crabtree universal sockets.

3. Plug your components in this order. Amp, sub, tv, blu ray, cable box.

4. See if you can run a 20 amp dedicated line from the DB Main to your system.

Vasu

These points have been implemented :)

Dint find any difference in performance though the wiring part has gone more secure to system and looking neat.

Forgot to ask which Speakers/AVR are you enjoying?

My updated signature. I still feel that lack of a punchy bass in your system is mainly due to settings/placement/room accoustics. There may be Obsedian owner in HFV also. You can take their opinions also.

My updated signature. I still feel that lack of a punchy bass in your system is mainly due to settings/placement/room accoustics. There may be Obsedian owner in HFV also. You can take their opinions also.

Sonodyne has a listening Room in Durgapur, I believe they have HO also there?

Am planning to play with setting/placement again this weekend.

I'd rather ask you to change your avr.
What I found from my experience is that the heart of the av setup is none other than the avr. The more powerful and agile the avr is , the more enjoyable the experience.
One should go for an sc series pioneer or yamaha avrs for that extra oomph and dynamism .
Speakers upgrade is definitely a secondary aspect. Even the most dull speakers liven up once they are fed with ample current from the powerful amp.

Okay, some more playing around :D

To test more Powerful Sub, I took out the Sub which my friend gifted when I bought my HT. Its a Paramount Pictures "Parapix Amplifier". Am not at al sure what kind of beast it is but I was told its pretty powerful. Some documents here
ParaPix Subwoofer Amp Info
Paramount Pictures Amp

Earlier when I tried it I could not use it as it was too boomy. I tried my hands again today and figured out that I actually needed to change the setting to involve this Sub to a minimal power.

I kept Crossover 40, Volume Level less than 25% open, Level in Amp -12db and guess what .. I can hear a good punchy Bass. Tried some scenes from Door slams, Gun shots and explosions from "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" and the Sub delighted me.

The problem,
It has deep bass and definitely throw is good but its not as precise as Velodyne Impact 12.

I need help of FMs to actually understand this Sub and to use its capabilities :)

Also attaching few Pictures

28untd1.jpg

33f9mco.jpg

m7rup0.jpg

Last edited:
Any help please on last post?

Also wanted to know, what is the best way to connect 2 Subs to the AVR while there is only 1 Out available?

Use a RCA Y splitter to connect two subs. Something similar to below

Amazon.com: RCA AH25 Y-Adaptor Cable: Electronics

BTW what are your low crossover freq settings on the AVR and Sub?

Will this one do?
RCA Male to 2RCA Female Audio Video AV Splitter Jack 2pcs | eBay

So this goes into AVR ... then a Sub cables to connect into this Splitter at one end and on other end to "Y adapter" which goes in L & R of Sub.

Looking at Specs of both Subs, do you recommend trying out both together?

Correct?

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back