Worth saving a Luxman amp?

indialogue

Hi fellow FMs, I've got a hand-me-down Luxman LV-112 integrated amplifier from my dad. It was bought sometime in 1989, and has been boxed up for the past decade as he did not have time to indulge in listening sessions.

I've hooked up the amp and it powers on all right - there is a lot of visible dust inside the case (on the PCB) and there is some hissing/crackling/popping and loose connections, when selecting the inputs (aux/CD/tuner) etc. Once you get past that, it is a very airy amp - vocals sound really good.

Do you think I should look at getting this refurbished? I think the whole amp needs a thorough alcohol bath to clean out all the dust, and I'm also thinking some of the old capacitors need to be replaced. I'm no DIY person unfortunately, so this effort is all contingent on finding a good audio repair shop/person in Delhi/NCR region.

What do you all think should I do? The LV-112 isnt a particularly distinguished or rare amplifier as such. If my dad's memory is right, it was an entry-level offering to the Luxman sound. Looking at the price of new Luxman products, I doubt I'd ever be able to afford one!!

Yes it is worth restoring any vintage Luxman. Atleast give it a try.

Use blower of Vacuum cleaner to get rid of the loose dust on the PCB and inside. Don't use suction, use the blower. You can use suction to clear out dust from the front panel switches and knobs.

I think, you might also have to replace the power caps as they have lost all it's juice.

Good Luck!

Yes it is worth restoring any vintage Luxman. Atleast give it a try.

Use blower of Vacuum cleaner to get rid of the loose dust on the PCB and inside. Don't use suction, use the blower. You can use suction to clear out dust from the front panel switches and knobs.

I think, you might also have to replace the power caps as they have lost all it's juice.

Good Luck!

Thanks for this information. Will definitely have to replace the caps, hoping that there is not anything blown or caps leaking have not damaged the PCB

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back