Would you hold back your blu ray player purchase for this?

aaah! it should have read 400 USD - one too many zeroes filling in for one too few drinks.

Thought so. I was also expecting it to sell at less than 400. I suppose when they start facing competition from Pioneer, Panasonic and others, they will be forced to reduce the price. VRS by Anchor Bay is slowly becoming a commodity item that many others are incorporating. That is one of the main selling points of the BD 83. Initial reviews say that the audio circuitry of the 983 is better. I wonder if this has something to do with the Blue laser.

As you say, I only hope their success with the 9xx does not go to their head.

Cheers

Thought so. I was also expecting it to sell at less than 400. I suppose when they start facing competition from Pioneer, Panasonic and others, they will be forced to reduce the price. VRS by Anchor Bay is slowly becoming a commodity item that many others are incorporating. That is one of the main selling points of the BD 83. Initial reviews say that the audio circuitry of the 983 is better. I wonder if this has something to do with the Blue laser.

Cheers

I agree with you Venkat. I would have been OK with 400 USD due to the DVD-A and SACD support though not sure how many people would invest in these in addition to BR disks.

Very surprising, I noticed they have already dropped the price by 100 today. Wondering if this is the pre order price or the July 4th (their independence day) pricing.

product details pages of OPPO Digital

I have only read about the player reviews on the net. Someone I know has placed a pre order. I will most likely visit in Nov/Dec time and will see if I can audition at that time.

::yahoo::
this price drop is only because of your SLIGHTLY drunk post here :clapping:

I agree with you Venkat. I would have been OK with 400 USD due to the DVD-A and SACD support though not sure how many people would invest in these in addition to BR disks.

Very surprising, I noticed they have already dropped the price by 100 today. Wondering if this is the pre order price or the July 4th (their independence day) pricing.

product details pages of OPPO Digital

I have only read about the player reviews on the net. Someone I know has placed a pre order. I will most likely visit in Nov/Dec time and will see if I can audition at that time.

Last edited:
::yahoo::
this price drop is only because of your drunk post here :clapping:

You didn't get the point - I had not had enough.

Frankly I have not been on Oppo's site in ages. So, was surprised to see a new item at 100 off retail. Still boggles my mind though.

They might do an Apple with this. snap up some early adopters at 499 or 599.....then perhaps bring it down to 400 or 450. Have they discontinued the 983? Frankly I think 499 is going to be the price for some time.

They do have a premium product and I suspect a lot of people will be happy to pay 500 USD for this. It's about the same proportion as their DVD players used to cost over and above the consumer models. When consumer DVD players were 50-80 dollars, their 980 was going for 170 dollars, so now when consumer BD players are going for 250-300 dollars, i guess they'll feel justified pegging it at 500.

Of course, it would be wonderful if it came down to 400 USD, in which case you'd find everyone else scrambling to pick up their game.

Cheers

They might do an Apple with this. snap up some early adopters at 499 or 599.....then perhaps bring it down to 400 or 450. Have they discontinued the 983? Frankly I think 499 is going to be the price for some time ........... Of course, it would be wonderful if it came down to 400 USD, in which case you'd find everyone else scrambling to pick up their game.

The only difference is Apple snapped up a million customers in 10 days while Oppo got roughly 500 early adopters in 3 odd months.

Yes, the 983 is not available any more.

I somehow feel that a company such as Pioneer or Panasonic will do a model at around 100 dollars by simply mass producing it. The 97x and 98x were successful primarily because of the large technical advantages they provided while keeping the over all pricing between 150 to 300 dollars. Can they provide the same advantage in Blu-Ray? Already products from other companies are very close in terms of technology and even cheaper. If you see the Pioneer and Panasonic models are more popular outside the Oppo lovers circle, and they certainly have a much bigger marketing clout.

Whatever price Oppo sells at, it is useless for us Indians unless the region lock issue is solved. I certainly will not touch it, even though I have a 983 and just love it.

Cheers

ok - edited my post to "SLIGHTLY drunk". Maybe it could have gone down further if you had more :lol:

You didn't get the point - I had not had enough.

Frankly I have not been on Oppo's site in ages. So, was surprised to see a new item at 100 off retail. Still boggles my mind though.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back