XBMC Launcher

baijuxavior

DOWNLOAD XBMC Launcher

This is an application I wrote for my HTPC and thought of sharing it to all HTPC enthusiasts here. Please try it and post your reviews, bugs etc. It is tested on Windows 7 32 bit, but should work on 64 bit system also.

What it can do?

1. Start XBMC automatically when Windows starts.
2. Or set XBMC to boot directly without loading the Windows explorer and desktop by changing the shell.
3. Keep XBMC on focus so that no other application can steal the focus of your remote control presses.
4. Creates a System Tray icon for XBMCLauncher from which you can configure its functions.
5. Set the time for focus check.
6. Temporarily disable the focus by using Win+F9 shortcut.
7. Change the Shutdown menu of XBMC to set Shutdown, Sleep or Hibernate the system.
8. When resumed from Sleep and Hibernation, XBMC is started again.
9. Start Windows desktop when you press Exit button of XBMC if you changed the shell to xbmc.
10. Handle MCE Remote control Green Start Button to start XBMC
11. Start XBMConIMON and IMON manager automatically for those with IMON products.
12. Option to manually specify the path of XBMC, XBMConIMON and IMON manager
13. Paths are automatically selected without any manual modification.
14. Customized installation. Select only the components you needed.
15. All replaced files are backed up so that your system is returned to the previous state when you uninstall the XBMC Launcher.

Please note that the shutdown menu will work only with the default confluence theme. The default shutdown menu of xbmc and the customized menu are shown below.

35n8w9e.png

23utzs5.png

The application is entirely coded using autohotkey scripts. Source code can be downloaded from the same folder. You will need latest version of Autohotkey_L for .ahk files, Inno Setup Creator for .iss file and Notepad++ for . XML files.

Thanks. You can always uninstall the application and your system will be restored to the previous state. So no need to afraid of loss of files or configuration.

Looks good, any specific advantage over what we already are using ....?

Baiju.......Which version of XBMC this exe will install........ is that with HD Audio ?? And hope if its new XBMC then its stable :-D

Looks good, any specific advantage over what we already are using ....?

I created it as a single app for all the purpose mentioned above. Usually after installing xbmc, we need to manually put a link of xbmc in startup folder or set it as shell using third party applications. Even with third party apps, you need to specify the xbmc installation path manually, but this app will guess the xbmc installation directory. Also if some other application steals the focus of xbmc, the remote control won't work correctly, so this will keep xbmc always on focus.

Installation steps

33mtsgg.jpg

XBMC Launcher - Main application.

XBMC Advanced settings file - Installs an advanced settings file for xbmc. I use it to skip the movies by 10 seconds instead of the default 30 seconds when you press left or right arrow keys. Also it will treat multiple artists in songs using the separator /. This is the default separator used in media monkey.

XBMC Keymap file - Creates a custom keymap file for xbmc to be used with MCE remote controls.

Change XBMC Shutdown Menu - Changes shutdown menu as shown below. It is needed if you want to start Windows desktop when you exit xbmc in shell mode. Otherwise you will see only a blank screen and you need to manually start explorer using task manager.

35n8w9e.png

23utzs5.png

Set XBMCLauncher as Windows Shell - Changes the windows shell to xbmc launcher instead of Explorer.exe. This way your system will boot directly into XBMC without loading windows desktop thus speeding up the boot processing considerably.

axkyaa.jpg

Select this option if you want MCE remotes to work with the included keymap file. Restart your PC for the change to effect.

r0bau1.jpg

Click finish to run XBMCLauncher. If everything is fine, it should start xbmc.

2po1cpl.jpg

The application expects that you have installed xbmc in the default 32 bit Windows Program Files Directory which is usually C:\Program Files\XBMC for 32 bit and C:\Program Files (86)\XBMC for 64 bit. If XBMC is not found in the default location which the app will prompt you to select the xbmc.exe file. Once selected, it will start XBMC.

5otduo.jpg

Menu accessible from Windows System Tray.

16bzqbl.jpg

Change Focus Delay. Default is 5 seconds which means every 5 seconds XBMCLauncher will send a signal to focus or bring xbmc on top of all other windows.

iclrwy.jpg

XBMC Shutdown action. Choose the action you want when you press the 'Shutdown' button in XBMC. I am using Hibernate and my htpc resumes to XBMC home window within 10 seconds from power down state.

34z0mc3.jpg

You can change Windows Shell from the application also. If XBMCLauncher is set as the shell, then windows desktop is not loaded until you exit xbmc.

Baiju.......Which version of XBMC this exe will install........ is that with HD Audio ?? And hope if its new XBMC then its stable :-D

This will work with any version of xbmc like Eden or Frodo. The shutdown will work with only confluence skin. For other skins you should edit the settings manually.

Okies........so this installer does not include XBMC......we need to install XBMC separatly ;-)

thanks
YP

I have updated the app and there is no need of editing xml files and it works with other skins also.

Hi Baiju, thanks for the app. I installed the app in my HTPC. It is working however I'm having few issues
1. The HTPC can not be switched off using remote. I don't see "power off system" dialogue box on my screen. Only "shutdown " dialogue box is displayed. When i click shutdown to switch off the system, I get error message when I restart the system next time. It says the computer was not switched off properly,
2. I'm unable to configure various keys of my MCE remote.
My HTPc is zotac plus mini PC and I'm using confluence skin for XBMC.
Pls help

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back