XPA-2 vs. UPA-2

harryanthony

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my existing gear to improve the quality of my audio listening.
My listening area is in my living room, I do not have a dedicated HT room, the dimensions are 21ft X 15 Ft.

My existing set-up consists of AVR Onkyo, SR-606 and Diamond 9.6 speakers, I will be using the ERC-1 as the source.

In my pursuit of this upgrade, I came across these Emotiva babies, my question is
How are these different (XPA-2 vs. UPA-2), I dont understand the class A,B stuff, (keep your answer easy to understand)
Are these the right products for my requirement?
Diamond 9.6 say power handling 40 to 200 Watts at 6 ohms, both these guys do not have their spec for 6 Ohms (They have it listed for 4 and 8 Ohms)
Will the XPA-2 overkill?
Other there other products which I should have a look at?
Can I still use my AVR for Video playback and these amp for audio/cd playback (both the AVR and amp connected to the same speaker 9.6?

Thank you !

Last edited:
Hi Harryanthony,

The XPA is a monster & definitely an overkill. Your Onkyo is good enough for your Wharfs. Try to get surrounds and a sub and you are done for the movies.

Go for UPA if you have to have a good two channel setup for music.

Thank you Capt !!
do i need to buy a pre-amp ? or the UPA-2 will deliver without a preamp?

what is the output of the UPA-2 at 6 ohm?

how do i connect.

For Audio
CD Player to UPA2 using RAC cable, UPA2 to speaker.

For Video
DVD/BRay player to AVR using HDMI - AVR to TV Using HDMI and AVR to speakers.

is the above assumption correct or even for audio i have to pass it through the AVR?

forgive me if this is a stupid question.

How are these different (XPA-2 vs. UPA-2), I dont understand the class A,B stuff, (keep your answer easy to understand)
Are these the right products for my requirement?

The XPA-2 is a stereo amplifier that is meant for music. It can also be used as part of a 7 channel amplification for HT. The UPA-2 is the other way around - it is meant to act as an amplifier for two channels of an HT and can also be used as a stereo amplifier. There could be a small difference in the quality of the sound output by these amplifiers.

Class A/B is the type of circuits used for amplification. An amplifier has three stages - input, driver, and output. Transistors are used in all three stages. In the input stage, the input signal is buffered and amplified. In the driver stage the signal is again amplified and a large secondary current supplied alongwith the input signal to drive the speakers.

In class A, a single transistor works in a linear fashion to amplify the signal across the full sinusoidal wave. In Class B, a complementary pair of transistors amplify half a signal wave each. Since Class A is inefficient, most amplifiers use Class A up to roughly 5% of their stated power, then switch to Class B.

both these guys do not have their spec for 6 Ohms (They have it listed for 4 and 8 Ohms) Will the XPA-2 overkill?

The XPA-2 will go to roughly 400 watts at 6 ohms while the UPA-2 will got to roughly 150 watts. Even though the XPA-2 is powerful, it can drive the Wharfedales well, as long as you do not use very high volumes.

Can I still use my AVR for Video playback and these amp for audio/cd playback (both the AVR and amp connected to the same speaker 9.6?

You have to use the AVR as a pre-amplifier. You will essentially connect the front L&R speakers to the Emotiva amplifier. A single RCA cable will go from the pre-out of the AVR to the Left and Right RCA inputs of the amplifier. The amplifier can thus operate for both music and movies.

How Do I connect - For Audio
CD Player to UPA2 using RAC cable, UPA2 to speaker.

You CANNOT connect any source to the amplifier directly. It has to go through an pre-amplifier - in your case the AVR.

For Video DVD/BRay player to AVR using HDMI - AVR to TV Using HDMI and AVR to speakers.

This is correct excepting for one change. The front L&R speakers will be connected to the amplifier and not the AVR.

Cheers

You CANNOT connect any source to the amplifier directly. It has to go through an pre-amplifier - in your case the AVR.

Cheers

Venkat, the emotiva's take both balanced and unbalanced inputs, so cant one take analog out of the player and connect it to the upa/xpa2. I was thinking of doing the same with upa5 in the future.

Venkat, the emotiva's take both balanced and unbalanced inputs, so cant one take analog out of the player and connect it to the upa/xpa2. I was thinking of doing the same with upa5 in the future.

Balanced or unbalanced, the output of a source is yet NOT pre-amplified, and cannot be connected to a power amplifier directly.

BTW, only the XPA2 accepts balanced XLR inputs.

Cheers

The XPA-2 is a stereo amplifier that is meant for music. It can also be used as part of a 7 channel amplification for HT. The UPA-2 is the other way around - it is meant to act as an amplifier for two channels of an HT and can also be used as a stereo amplifier. There could be a small difference in the quality of the sound output by these amplifiers.

Cheers

Dear Venkat,

Thank you for taking the time to explain this so well... now that we know that the UPA-2 is not "designed" to play the role of an AMP by itself... what is your opinion on how this would compare against the integrated amps like the marantz or Nad?
Does the XPA-2 which is "designed" to play the role of a stereo amp also require a pre amp?

Do these integrated amps also need a pre amp or you can connect the source to them directly?... If they dont need a pre-amp and since I have an AVR is it advisable to connect them through the AVR.

and lastly, Can you recommend me an AMP/Integrated AMP would be sutable based on the requirement I have listed.

I am sorry if I have confused you. We are discussing four terms here - an amplifier, a pre-amp, an integrated amplifier, and a pre-amplifier.

A power amplifier needs input at a particular voltage that does not come from sources such as CD player, DVD Player etc. In addtion that add huge amounts of energy to the input signal and send the output to the speaker. They will only accept an input from a preamplifier, and not from a source.

A preamplifier will accept inputs from multiple sources, pre-amplify the signal, and send the signal to a power amplifer. You have both two channel pre-amplifiers and we as multi channel pre-amplifiers. Many AVRs also have what are called -pre-outs at the back when they behave like a preamplifier.

An integrated amplifier is one that has a pre-amplifier and a power amplifier built into the same box. Products such as NAD 325BEE, Marantz PM8003, CA 640A are all integrated amps.

Both the XPA2 and the UPA2 are power amplifiers and they need a preamplifier.

An amplifier is a loose term can refer to any one of the above.

Regarding recommendation, since you were choosing between the Emotiva products, I thought you knew what you were doing. But your questions in this post changes everything.

1) I just checked and realised that the AVR606 does NOT have analog pre-outs. So that cannot be used as a preamplifier.

2) The ERC-1 is a good CD player and deserves a good amplifier. Whether to go in for an integrated amp or a pre/power combination will depend upon what you are ready to spend.

Cheers

Last edited:
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back