Xtreamer: optical audio need help!!

Vikram7981

Hi,

I connected a Bandridge optical cable worth Rs. 500 between Xtreamer and my Samsung HT C450 but there is no audio. I had selected HDMI audio on and Digital audio as DTS/AC3 5.1CH under A/V settings. Please help. (Firmware version is 2.2)

Regards,

Vikram

Hi,

I connected a Bandridge optical cable worth Rs. 500 between Xtreamer and my Samsung HT C450 but there is no audio. I had selected HDMI audio on and Digital audio as DTS/AC3 5.1CH under A/V settings. Please help. (Firmware version is 2.2)

Regards,

Vikram

Hi,

You must turn off the "Hdmi Audio On" in order to get the output via optical output from the Xtreamer. This option must be enabled when you connect a device which supports both HDMI video and audio.

Also, you can go ahead and update the version to 2.3.1, this has lot of fixes including system crash while attempting to play FLAC.

Cheers!

Hi,

You must turn off the "Hdmi Audio On" in order to get the output via optical output from the Xtreamer. This option must be enabled when you connect a device which supports both HDMI video and audio.

Also, you can go ahead and update the version to 2.3.1, this has lot of fixes including system crash while attempting to play FLAC.

Cheers!

Thanks man. I turned off the "Hdmi Audio" to off but still no audio. Is there any other setting that I need to do in Xtreamer.
One strange thing is that though I have Digital audio set as DTS / 5.1, I do not get audio via the optical but I am getting audio via the Aux mode of HT which is basically stereo output.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks man. I turned off the "Hdmi Audio" to off but still no audio. Is there any other setting that I need to do in Xtreamer.
One strange thing is that though I have Digital audio set as DTS / 5.1, I do not get audio via the optical but I am getting audio via the Aux mode of HT which is basically stereo output.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Hi,

Check if you have properly assigned your optical input in your HT, check if the xtreamer volume is at 30+. Did you mean that you are getting sound out of analog out in xtreamer connected to your aux HT out?

Check if the cable is not faulty. Try updating the firmware as well.

Cheers!

It works fine for me but I am not sure about the settings right now. Try the opt out of your dvd etc to eliminate cable or receiver issues. I can confirm my settings later at night

Same here. I have it all running at home - however my receiver just died on me.

If I remember correctly, you need to toggle the HDMI audio option, connect an optical cable from the Xtreamer to your receiver optical in. Verify that the connection is proper (no loose ends).

Next switch your receiver to the input mode, which has optical in.
In my case it is DTV/CBL (Yamaha YHT 292).

Also try power cycling the Xtreamer once you change the settings.. I remember I had some trouble which fixed itself once it restarted. I had posted here for help.. but that was an older firmware.

Same here. I have it all running at home - however my receiver just died on me.

If I remember correctly, you need to toggle the HDMI audio option, connect an optical cable from the Xtreamer to your receiver optical in. Verify that the connection is proper (no loose ends).

Next switch your receiver to the input mode, which has optical in.
In my case it is DTV/CBL (Yamaha YHT 292).

Also try power cycling the Xtreamer once you change the settings.. I remember I had some trouble which fixed itself once it restarted. I had posted here for help.. but that was an older firmware.

Friends,

Thanks for your responses. Unfortunately, the problem still persists. I have tried following:

1. Switched HDMI Audio to OFF.
2. Set Digital Output to DTS / AC3 5.1CH.
3. Checked the Optical connection between Xtreamer and HT.
4. Power Cycled the entire setup, Xtreamer, HT etc.

With these settings, I am getting the audio on the AUX mode of HT, which is basically a stereo in of the HT.
But when I switch to Digital IN mode of the HT, which is basically an optical in then there is no audio.

Is Xtreamer supposed to provide 2.1 CH audio even when the Digital Output is set to 5.1 CH. If I press the audio button on Xtreamer remote it displays DTS 6CH.

I am not left with any choice but to upgrade the firmware to 2.3.1 now. If you have any pointers then please help.

Thanks,

Vikram

have you tried any other optical out, say from a dvdp? Just to ensure there isn't an issue on the cable/ avr front?

have you tried any other optical out, say from a dvdp? Just to ensure there isn't an issue on the cable/ avr front?

No, actually I don't have any other device to check that out... i am going to upgrade the firmware in another 10 mins.... if that doesn't solve the issue then I am going to buy another optical cable tomorrow.....

No, actually I don't have any other device to check that out... i am going to upgrade the firmware in another 10 mins.... if that doesn't solve the issue then I am going to buy another optical cable tomorrow.....

Updating the firmware also didn't make any difference.

I will try with another cable tomorrow. If that doesn't work then probably I will call the Samsung Customer Care to check the optical port of the HT.

However, I still don't know why I am getting 2.1 audio via the Aux mode of HT when the digital output in xtreamer is set to 5.1CH. Can anybody confirm this?

Updating the firmware also didn't make any difference.

I will try with another cable tomorrow. If that doesn't work then probably I will call the Samsung Customer Care to check the optical port of the HT.

However, I still don't know why I am getting 2.1 audio via the Aux mode of HT when the digital output in xtreamer is set to 5.1CH. Can anybody confirm this?

Hey Vikram,

In the audio settings there should be 3 options. I don't remember the exact name but can you check the 2nd option (one without FLAC listed) and see if it helps. I faintly remember reading similar problem on Xtreamer forum while back.

Friends,

Is Xtreamer supposed to provide 2.1 CH audio even when the Digital Output is set to 5.1 CH. If I press the audio button on Xtreamer remote it displays DTS 6CH.
Thanks,

Vikram

Do you have the Xtreamer connected via composite AND HDMI to your HT ? Have you tried unplugging the composite cord from the Xtreamer ?

The audio button on the Xtreamer just displays information about the audio in the currently playing file. So will depend on the media file being played.

hmm - are you getting 2.1 from xtreamer over the same optical connection? is your content 2.1 instead of 5.1?

I have following connections for audio:
1. Connected Analogue (Stereo) out from Xtreamer to Anologue In of HT.
2. Connected Optical out from Xtreamer to Optical In of HT.
3. Under settings, Xtreamer Digital output is set to DTS / 5.1 CH.

I am getting audio from connection #1, i.e. Analogue Connection but not through connection #2.
If I remove connection #1 and only optical connection is left then there is no audio at all.
So, this basically means that Xtreamer is downmixing the audio and is producing 2.1 CH sound only. I have tried various files, including backup of DVD movies having 5.1 audio, but still the issue persists.

Do you have the Xtreamer connected via composite AND HDMI to your HT ? Have you tried unplugging the composite cord from the Xtreamer ?

The audio button on the Xtreamer just displays information about the audio in the currently playing file. So will depend on the media file being played.

Yes, I removed the composite stereo cables and now only the optical connection exists. But still there is no sound.

Can you confirm your Xtreamer settings for optical connection.

My setup
2 channel DAC connected to xtreamer via optical cable.

Xtreamer settings
HDMI audio is off.
DTS/ AC3 2.1 CH is checked.
I play music/ youtube videos only recently. I do not have any ripped content to verify 5.1 etc. If you point me to suitable free samples online than I can verify other things.

regards

My setup
2 channel DAC connected to xtreamer via optical cable.

Xtreamer settings
HDMI audio is off.
DTS/ AC3 2.1 CH is checked.
I play music/ youtube videos only recently. I do not have any ripped content to verify 5.1 etc. If you point me to suitable free samples online than I can verify other things.

regards

I do not know of free samples... may be you could try torrent.... so optical is giving you a 2.1 audio....

actually I am taking out only 2.0 output as my dac is 2 channel only and it is not connected to any avr these days.

I have same problem with my friend's New xTreamer 2010 model. I'll do some testing and will put results. He has sony 5.1 DVD home theatre system - DV510. Called sony executive for proper setup today. I'll post my findings later today.

1. we removed rubber caps from the optical cable ( thanks to Sony executive - we didn't know it is required )
On xTreamer,
2. Set HDMI audio off
3. Set DTS/AC3 5.1 On
4. Restart

put a movie and waited for a minute and suddenly sound came :)
due to lack of time we couldnt confirm on 5.1 , but 3.1 was coming out

Yes, the optical connection is working

setup

Xtreamer to LCD -> HDMI
xtreamer to DVD -> optical

Last edited:
Back