Xtreamer - Optical Volume control

jagdish_p

Hi ,
This may sound silly but I am able to control the Audio Volume level on my Xtreamer even when it is connected to the amplifier through an Optical Cable.
My understanding is that the Optical signal is a digital signal and its level can not be controlled.
So where am I going wrong.

Thanks

This may sound silly but I am able to control the Audio Volume level on my Xtreamer even when it is connected to the amplifier through an Optical Cable. My understanding is that the Optical signal is a digital signal and its level can not be controlled. So where am I going wrong.

All players have small amplifiers that read up the signal from media and then amplifies it to the level that a pre-amp/amp can understand. This is what you are controlling. Whether it actually works on not depends upon whether you are sending the signal as a raw bitstream, or as LPCM.

Cheers

I did not find the option to bit stream on Xtreamer.

Following are the settings I use: (Xtreamer to AVR through HDMI)

1) HDMI Audio On
2) Digital output Options on Xtreamer are
a) DTS/Dolby D5.1 CH
B) DTS/Dolby D2.1 CH
c) AAC/FLAC/OGG 5.1 CH PCM (HDMI)

For Audio Music: (FLAC/OGG/MP3) there is no difference in any of the options and the AVR always displays Audio Signal as
Format: PCM, Sampling -44.1 KHz, Channel:2/0 , Bitrate:----.Dialogue:----

Does the above mean that Xtreamer is processing the digital signal and if so will I get a better audio if I replace it with a high end Player keeping all other components same.

For Movie Rips:
I am not having any issues here and I am getting the following.

I) Rips with DTS/ Dolby D 6 Ch: - Choosing option 2 a DTS/Dolby D 5.1 CH shows Audio Signal as
Format: Digital, 48 KHz, Channel 3/2/0.1, And Bitrate: 384 (varies based on the Rip), Dialogue: +2dB

II) Rips with AAC 6 Ch, Choosing option 3 b AAC/FLAC/OGG 5.1 CH PCM (HDMI) gives audio signal as:
Format: PCM, Sampling 48 KHz, Channel:3/2/0.1 Bitrates: ----.Dialogue:----

For Movies if a wrong option is chosen the Audio is PCM, 48 KHz, 2 Channel

Please suggest any changes.

If the AVR display Dolby Digital / DTS, it is receiving raw bitstream. If it displays PCM, it is getting processed audio. If you like the sound, why bother?

Cheers

Thanks again.
So my understanding from above is that that on the Xtreamer when we play Songs/ Music files in OGG/FLAC or MP3 formats what we get is a Processed output of the Xtreamer and it is not possible to get raw bit stream.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Regarding SQ of music files, Initially I was happy but now I feel that I am missing some thing. I have an External DAC but I do not find any difference when I route through this.

Thanks again.
So my understanding from above is that that on the Xtreamer when we play Songs/ Music files in OGG/FLAC or MP3 formats what we get is a Processed output of the Xtreamer and it is not possible to get raw bit stream.

The Xtreamer - the original one, not the Pro - cannot bitstream HD audio. It can only send PCM to your receiver.

So will there be an Improvement in SQ for Music files if I am able bit stream . Most of my files are MP3- in the range of 192kbps to 320 kbps. I have an external DAC

Thanks & Regards
Jagdish

So will there be an Improvement in SQ for Music files if I am able bit stream . Most of my files are MP3- in the range of 192kbps to 320 kbps. I have an external DAC.
Jagdish

Yes, if your DAC is better than the Xtreamer onboard DAC.

If the AVR display Dolby Digital / DTS, it is receiving raw bitstream. If it displays PCM, it is getting processed audio. If you like the sound, why bother?

Cheers

Oh all along I was thinking that I was sending unprocessed bitstream to my DacMagic in the below set up.

Source Xtreamer (MP3 - 192 to 320 kbps , FLAC and OGG Audio files)---> DacMagic---> 650A Stereo Amplifier-->Mirage Omni550 Floor Standers.

Now I am not sure if Xtreamer (the initial Basic model) is good at processing the Audio files.
Are there any better alternatives for replacing the Xtreamer media player at around the same price band which ideally will bitstream with out processing.

Reviving an old thread rather than open a new one...

I have Xtreamer Pro. I have the optical out connected to my DAC and then to my stereo amp but I am not sure if it is sending raw signal to the DAC. Like the OP had mentioned, I can control the volume on the device. Added to that, the sound is crappy. It actually feels better when I play the same music (FLACs mostly) using my AVR connected over HDMI!!!

How can I ensure that the device bitstreams the music and does not process it? I posted a similar question on xtreamer forum but got no response (surprise! surprise!).

Refer to Venkat's earlier response in this post. If your AVR has an optical input option, connect directly to AVR through optical cable and check the display to confirm if you are getting bit stream or not.
Jagdish

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back