Yamaha or Onkyo

sachson

Hi Friends,

Just back from Relaince Digital, i am in littile rush to buy a decent HT for my 10*10 room, ryt now i have three options in my hand

1. Yamaha HTR 6230 with NS-P380 5.1 speakers @ 24k
2. Onkyo S3305 @ 25k
3. Or Sony DAVDZ-510 @ 19.5 k

Please suggest best among them, i just need to connct my xbox and DTH.

thanks..

Very Strange, No replies till yet?
No one here able to provide insight on this, actualy i am not getting enough info on Yamaha AVR and i just blown from quality of sound by yamaha speakers..if any one can help me out to choose between onkyo s3300 or Yamaha i m really grateful.

Looking at specs only choose b/w Onkyo and Yamaha only, it is better looking at future upgrade point of view. Drop Sony ( I have Sony 510 myself)

If you like Yamaha Sound then go with Yamaha, but is spec says it wont support HD audio which Onkyo Does.

If that is not you concern go with Yamaha. For Xbox and DTH only is a good choice but in future if you buy Blu ray it wont Decode HD audio.

if there is not much sound difference b/w onkyo and yamaha then go with Onkyo to be more future proof.

You can PM me of you want more advice or any questions, I am also from Delhi.

otherwise threads are best place to discuss anything.

Dear frnd
Onkyo actually makes the best amplifiers among all the companies u have mentioned but the model you have selected does not sound good. I feel the sony model is the best among what you have listed and is better than onkyo and yamaha an d has good graphics onscreen display and features . But always remember onkyo makes the best amplifiers

There is no OSD display in Sony, It has no HDMi In, Only in is RCA L/R, Co axial and optical.

If you can live with that and get the Video out direct to TV then Sony is fine.

Going by Features and SQ Onkyo would be better.

Thanks for your insight Jatin, i think i need to listen Onkyo 3300 before closing on Yamaha as everybody on this forum is crazy about Onkyo so it must be really good.

thx jtde, but someone on this forum strongly suggest not to go for 3305 rather go for 3300 (which is older model though) 3300 is 120w * 5 and 3305 is 100*5, correct me if i am wrong.

Opinions are one thing, listen and then make a choice. Feature wise Onkyo 3300/ 3305 is superior to Yamaha.

buy speakers only after listening, Reviews are misleading.

I have rejected some award wining speakers when demoed in last 1 month outright.
They were just not my taste.

3300 is a better choice than 3305.

Hey, i have Yamaha V367/NS-8900/NS-P8900/SW-215 system with me. I am pretty much satisfied with the sound of this system. I auditioned Onkyo also but somehow i did not find it impressing. What i felt that Onkyo is good for movies but not for music.

If you wanna buy just for movies then definitely go for Onkyo but if movies and music then I would suggest Yamaha. And above all, buy which satisfy your ears most.

Cheers..!!

Today got a chance for a demo of Onkyo S3300, and i donno why itz me or what but it certainly lack that punch of bass, and clarity of Yamaha..May be i am already biased toward Yamaha, but that demo guy did not know penny about receivers so i must give another shot for Onkyo...

@sachson, where did you take the demo? More often than not, you will have to spend some good amount of time with the settings yourself, which can be daunting considering you wouldn't know the operations.

Do take your media next time you go for a demo. Try different sound modes and also turning off/ on Audyssey and Dynamic EQ

thx jtde, but someone on this forum strongly suggest not to go for 3305 rather go for 3300 (which is older model though) 3300 is 120w * 5 and 3305 is 100*5, correct me if i am wrong.

yes , you can go with either of them depending upon whether extra power (3300) or one more HDMI input (3305)is important to you.

Onkyo may not be the best for music. But it's not that bad either. If your usage is more to movies and less to music then Onkyo still is a good choice. However, if your need is more for music then there are better comparable AVRs with Denon which is far better than Yamaha. Another point you have to consider is the speaker calibration. One of the reasons I went for onkyo is because of it's better calibration qualities. I heard Yamaha's calibration system is not that great. I guess you should visit ProFX or any other Denon dealer to hear a Denon and Polk audio or boston acoustic speakers combination. May cost a little more than 25K but it would be far better than your realization for a better costlier one in a matter of few weeks to months time with the current ones in your mind.

Onkyo may not be the best for music. But it's not that bad either. If your usage is more to movies and less to music then Onkyo still is a good choice. However, if your need is more for music then there are better comparable AVRs with Denon which is far better than Yamaha. Another point you have to consider is the speaker calibration. One of the reasons I went for onkyo is because of it's better calibration qualities. I heard Yamaha's calibration system is not that great. I guess you should visit ProFX or any other Denon dealer to hear a Denon and Polk audio or boston acoustic speakers combination. May cost a little more than 25K but it would be far better than your realization for a better costlier one in a matter of few weeks to months time with the current ones in your mind.

Thx alex for suggestion, actually i dont blv denon have much presence in delhi n secondly it wuld surely cost much more than my alloted budget.. So i think after strong words of suggestion of my frnds i m finalizing onkyo, will get it tommrow most probably n get it installed b4 match.. Cheers

Thx alex for suggestion, actually i dont blv denon have much presence in delhi n secondly it wuld surely cost much more than my alloted budget.. So i think after strong words of suggestion of my frnds i m finalizing onkyo, will get it tommrow most probably n get it installed b4 match.. Cheers

There are quite a few dealers selling Denon in Delhi.

I would suggest going to a dedicated HT/HiGi shop for your demos and to stay away from the chain stores for the demos. Most of them do not set up the system properly.

I would also advice getting a separete DVD player rather than getting a all in one system. Get a system with multiple HDMI inputs, as these days DTH STBs, DVD Players, BluRay Players, Game Consoles, Media Players & many computers come with HDMI output options. Expect to run each and every source of your HT setup using HDMI in the near future.

If you are demoing any model with an auto setup, use that before you do the demo. Many HiFi stores do not want to go thru the Audyssey setup, but used properly Audyssey or any other auto setup procedure will give you a quick way to get good quality results from the setup.

-- no1lives4ever

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back