Yamaha Rx v 663 with jamo hcs 606 or Wharfedale diamond 9.6

daj

Hi,

This is my first post on this site. I have been reading a lot of expert advice here.

I am buying a new home theater set up for my house. i have auditioned a lot of systems & have shortlisted the Yamaha Rx v 663 amp.

I need help & advice as to how is the amp & which speakers should I go for.

I have auditioned the following:

1. Jamo 406 (5.1) with Sub
2. Jamo 606 (5.1) with 250 sub
3 Wharfedale Vardus 300 (5.1) with sub
4.Wharfedale diamond 8.4 with sub
5 Wharfedale diamond 9.6 (5.1) with sub
6 Mission m341 (5.1) with sub

I have even auditioned the space audio 5.1, Polk audio, MA br3 etc

All these auditions have left me totally confused.

I have finally shortlisted the following 3 systems as they sound good & fall within my budget:

1. Jamo 606
2. Mission m 34i
3 Whafedale 9.6

I need advise & help

Thanks

Venkat would be the best person for this. he owns the 9.6 and recently extensively tested the Jamo 606....I have a feeling the 9.6 will be better. The Mission speakers i have no clue about.

But before he steps in....which of the three did you like the best personally? and what were the prices offerred to you for the three?

Hi,

This is my first post on this site. I have been reading a lot of expert advice here.

I am buying a new home theater set up for my house. i have auditioned a lot of systems & have shortlisted the Yamaha Rx v 663 amp.

I have finally shortlisted the following 3 systems as they sound good & fall within my budget:

1. Jamo 606
2. Mission m 34i
3 Whafedale 9.6

I need advise & help

Thanks

The Missions are not bad at all but the Diamond 9.6 offer more for just a slight increase in outlay. As long as the economic feasibility is there, the Diamond 9.6 should win the pick here.

Personally I felt the Jamo 606 sounded the best.

The price quoted are as follows

Jamo 606 HCS with 250 sub : Rs. 60K
Mission m34i with sub : Rs. 40K
Wharfedale 9.6 with sub : Rs. 60K ( approx) ( I have misplaced the quotation I think it is about 60 - 65K)

The jamo has a side firing woofer which makes them sound really amazing. I auditioned them on both movie( 5.1) & audio cd( in 2.1)
In the 9.6 I felt that the treble was a bit less.

Please also advise me whether the Yamaha 663 is a good choice

Thanks

Last edited:
The new line of Yamaha AVRs is supposed to be very good, including the 663, and they can easily give the Onkyos and the Denons a run for their money. I have not heard this one myself...although I have heard its little little brother the 363....which is pretty good for the price, and the 663 ought to be good as well....few questions....which sub are they giving you with the 9.6 5.1 package? and which centre?

If you liked the 606, then you should probably go for it, since the price is the same, but let's wait for Venkat to give his views.

Wharfedale 9.6 with sub : Rs. 60K ( approx) ( I have misplaced the quotation I think it is about 60 - 65K)

The jamo has a side firing woofer which makes them sound really amazing. I auditioned them on both movie( 5.1) & audio cd( in 2.1)

Thanks

Thanks

hi daj

hv gone through your interest in the speakers and the amp which u hv selected. just want to know about the amp. how is the amp interms of quality. bcos i m also interested in yamaha but hv not auditioned any of the amp from yamaha.pls also audition klipsch f3 speakers they are also nice and very powerful.

thnx.

The Yamaha 663 is a very good receiver option and as I understand it constitutes the sweet spot in the Receiver segment for Yamaha.

Daj:

I heard the Yamaha 663 recently powering a pair of EPOS M12i stand mount speakers. The Yamaha sound good even for music and with just two speakers carried itself well for movies tracks.

If you have heard the Yamaha with the Jamo 606, just go ahead. Ultimately your ears are the best judge.

If you can do a side by side comparison of the Wharfedales and the Jamos before you cut the cheque, it will be great.

Cheers

Ha ..found you Venkat..
Started a new thread on this but nonetheless here goes..

Yamaha AX 497 @ 18K
RXV 363 @ 17K
RXV 361 @ 15K

to go with

Wharfedale 8.1 @ 8.7K
8.2 @ 11.5K

or a PPS panel @ 8K

* all spkrs quoted for a pair (tax inclusive)

How does the combo work and ofcourse the price too?

I want to bring an end to my search ASAP :mad:

Hi Daj,

Before you finalise do take a look at Mordaunt Short Avant 906i or 916i and also the Monitor Audio BR5.The Wharfedale 9.6 is a wonderful speaker too.
The Yamaha Rxv 663 is a good receiver with all latest HD decoding options,Burr Brown DACs and dual subwoofer out.
And as vortex said this receiver is really in the sweet spot along with other strong contenders like Onkyo 606 and Denon 1909.

Enjoy & Happy Shopping
best wishes,
Samuel

Ha ..found you Venkat.. Started a new thread on this but nonetheless here goes.. I want to bring an end to my search ASAP :mad:

Libran,

I don't understand what information you are looking for.

The 497 is a Stereo Amplifier, while the 363 and the 361 are 5.1 AVRs.

if you are looking for a two channel system, you can connect the 497 to Wharfedale speakers 8.2 and enjoy good music. If you can bargain the Diamond 9.2 to some 12.5 or so, that will be even better.

Between the 361 and a 363, the 361 is a old model, and the 363 replaces it. So I would not even look at the 361. As I said before this is a 5.1 channel AVR, and you need 5.1 speaker set.

Maybe you mentioned it before, but if your requirements are clear to me, it will be easy to decide what you should get.

Cheers

Ok. Libran.

I now remember your quest for a two channel system.

Yes you can certainly look at the Yamaha 497 with Wharfedale speakers. I have not heard it personally, but I have a heard a few dealer sing it's praises. Can you audition it?

Cheers

yes...I auditioned it..
my confusion is.... should I go for an AVR ... in the event of an upgrade to a 5.1 in future or should I stick to a Stereo Amp ( AX497)

I auditoned the Yamaha 497 with an 8.1, 8.2, 9.2 and the PPS
PPS is no good...more a show piece

9.2 rocks... quoted at 17600 MRP

only issue is the price...

AX is quoted at 18K
RXV 363 at 17K (Amazon sells this at $199.95 :confused: )
At exchange rate of 50/- to the $, that works out to only 10K

er the MRP of the 9.2 is 14,000......so you will definitely be able to get it for a lower price than that. If someone tells you the MRP is 17,600 he is trying to rip you off.

Libran,

Psychotropic is correct on the price. You have been quoted an excessively high price.

Also it is not as easy as deciding on the number of channels when you select your amplifier. You have to decide whether movies or music would be your focus area. If music is your focus area, go ahead and select the 2 channel amplifier. If movies are your focus area, then it is time for an AVR like the Yamaha 363.

Hi friends, I am a bit confused about a home theatre system. I recently saw Sony HT-DDW5000 thot its quite great. Please suggest should I go for a separate AV and speakers or for a preset system like Sony HT-DDW5000. My budget is <=45k. Thanks,Shailendra

Hi friends, I am a bit confused about a home theatre system. I recently saw Sony HT-DDW5000 thot its quite great. Please suggest should I go for a separate AV and speakers or for a preset system like Sony HT-DDW5000. My budget is <=45k. Thanks,Shailendra

At less than 45K, an HTIB (what you call preset system) will be a better option. Just audition a few systems from Onkyo, LG, and Philips, and go for the one your ears like.

Cheers

Hi,

1. Jamo 606
2. Mission m 34i
3 Whafedale 9.6

I need advise & help

Thanks

I have paired Jamo HCS 606 with Onkyo AVR 606, I love listening to both Music & Movies, though i have not auditioned Wharf 9.6 to compare and comment.

Thanks
Ramesh S

Hi Daj,

Before you finalise do take a look at Mordaunt Short Avant 906i or 916i and also the Monitor Audio BR5.The Wharfedale 9.6 is a wonderful speaker too.
The Yamaha Rxv 663 is a good receiver with all latest HD decoding options,Burr Brown DACs and dual subwoofer out.
And as vortex said this receiver is really in the sweet spot along with other strong contenders like Onkyo 606 and Denon 1909.

Enjoy & Happy Shopping
best wishes,
Samuel

hi all,
i am search for 5.1 setup foor mmy avr 471 yamaha.

need few inputs and suggestions as it a really grilling process to audition every spkr and then get confused at the end. since the results varies from one environment to other at dealers.

myusage is movies and music 50%,
room size is 17x10 ft [rectangle], view distance is 8ft.

a] jamo s606 hcs vs wharf vardus 300 package shown at hifimart?????
b]or tannoy mercury v1{x2}+VC+VR+sub velodyne 10.
c]wharf obesidiean 600 ???
d]paradigm ct 100/wharf dx1.

pleasee help, if u permit and stay in mumbai i can visit ur place and have a auditioned. pl share ur number or address and convenient time.

my budget is 55k.
regrds
swapnil

appreciate your inputs and may be current prices .
regards
swapnil

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back