Yamaha RX-V663 with Monitor Audio Speakers

ptanwar

I'm looking to match my existing speaker set of Monitor Audio RS 6 (fronts) + RSLCR (center) + Bronze B2 (rears) with the Yamaha 663.

My last receiver was a 5 yr old Denon AVR 1603 (that went bust recently), which I was never quite happy with as it felt underpowered (80 wpc into 8 ohms iirc).

Any thoughts/advice?

go for it dude, those are good speakers, and its a good receivers. I am running 663 with B&W 602s and its great. Specially that pure direct things is pure bliss for music.

I'm looking to match my existing speaker set of Monitor Audio RS 6 (fronts) + RSLCR (center) + Bronze B2 (rears) with the Yamaha 663.

My last receiver was a 5 yr old Denon AVR 1603 (that went bust recently), which I was never quite happy with as it felt underpowered (80 wpc into 8 ohms iirc).

Any thoughts/advice?

You are basing your assumptions on the AVR specs which are misleading at best. They could end up being more/less or same as the Denon. So power wise you may not get much of a lift. If you want to get more real power, adding an amp even 2 or 3 channel will go a long way.

Re;the pairing, the yamaha's do pair decently with MA speakers.

If you can afford 863, nothing like it.

But as marsilian says, i would stick to a basic/mid level AVR, and add a good 2ch amp.

If you can afford 863, nothing like it.

But as marsilian says, i would stick to a basic/mid level AVR, and add a good 2ch amp.

There is not much of a difference between 663 and 863, characteristics wise. Given that 663 is formally discontinued by Yamaha, its worth a haggle as well.

I have a Yamaha RX-V650 which is presently pared with Wharfedale Diamond 8.4 speakers.I also have the Wharfedale SW150 Sub and the Diamond 8.1 Center.Most of the time I use only the 8.4's in the pure direct mode.Would like to replace the 8.4's with Monitor Audio RS 6/QUAD 22L2/KLIPSCH RF 62.Would appreciate info/opinions/price for these speakers?Or should I sell the entire setup and buy one of these speakers along with Marantz PM 8000/Nad C 355/372?Music 90% Movies 10%.Western Classical/Jazz.

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back