Yamaha rx471 or rx571 ??

thejas23

Hello Friends
I am looking for a good 5.1 ch receiver ended up with Yamaha 471 but as the seller dont have the product in stock , But he got RX571 With him is it a better choice than RX471 , Do let me know as i am not intrested in 7.1 set up even if i get 7.1 , only 5.1 will be used so i am just looking at overall performance of the both

The above Receivers will be connected to ETC 5.1

Performance wise, there is no difference at all. Other differences are that 571 has 7.1 channels (all powered) with Dolby IIx, HDMI upscaling and 2 additional HDMI inputs. If you don't intend to add extra speakers, then it is not wise to spend on 571. Even if you need 7.1, contents with exclusive channels are scare. So hunt for the 471.

Hello Friends
I am looking for a good 5.1 ch receiver ended up with Yamaha 471 but as the seller dont have the product in stock , But he got RX571 With him is it a better choice than RX471 , Do let me know as i am not intrested in 7.1 set up even if i get 7.1 , only 5.1 will be used so i am just looking at overall performance of the both

The above Receivers will be connected to ETC 5.1

Well if you are sure you won't add two more speakers in the future to make it 7.1 then I too don't think it would make sense to go in for the 571. Santy has explained the differences between the two quite correctly.

You mentioned that you plan to use ETC 5.1 with the AVR. In that case I think both the 471 and the 571 might somewhat be an overkill. You might be content with the 371 too. Why pay extra for features you may never use.

Here's is a chart explaining the differences between the three:

Comparison Chart:RX-V571,RX-V471,RX-V371 - RX - AV Receivers - Audio & Visual - Products - Yamaha United States

Cheers !

In my opinion, its not always 5.1 or 7.1 a decisive factor..
these receivers are not similar in other features with only difference of no of speakers..
If you think in broad perspective, there are many other points to decide like importance of HD audio(not available in 371), net connectivity, watt per channel(need at least 100 w/ch),USB playback, HDMI ports, preference for music/movies..
If you want just a home theater system, then probably onkyo 3400 would have done the job..
since you got one of the best in class speakers(ETC 5.1), buy receiver accordingly to do a justice..
BTW I am about to get my speaker set..
@mav have you got any news about pioneer speakers?

In my opinion, its not always 5.1 or 7.1 a decisive factor..
these receivers are not similar in other features with only difference of no of speakers..
If you think in broad perspective, there are many other points to decide like importance of HD audio(not available in 371), net connectivity, watt per channel(need at least 100 w/ch),USB playback, HDMI ports, preference for music/movies..
If you want just a home theater system, then probably onkyo 3400 would have done the job..
since you got one of the best in class speakers(ETC 5.1), buy receiver accordingly to do a justice..
BTW I am about to get my speaker set..
@mav have you got any news about pioneer speakers?

@Naimesh: The dealer called yesterday... I should have them by tomorrow :) Finally the wait is over...!!

The dealer called yesterday... I should have them by tomorrow :) Finally the wait is over...!!

Congrats. Did you order for 671?

But OP was not having 371 as a choice which do lack many features including YPAO, OSD, USB, HD audio, 3D passthrough etc.

Yeah it was a long wait allright. I tried to distract myself by not thinking about the equipment coming my way but it was tough !! :)

@santy: yeah the 671 and the pioneer speakers :) to say am excited would be an understatement !

@OP: If you have the budget, then buy the 571. You can use it for 5.1 now and upgrade later to 7.1 should you change your mind. There are many difference between the two. For example, 471 supports only DTS HD. The user manual says it will use only the DTS core of DTS HDMA. Also there is no option for a future 7.1 upgrade. This is why I chose denon 1612 over yamaha 471.

@mav: Congrats. Please post pics of your entire setup once it is completed.

@Naimesh: The dealer called yesterday... I should have them by tomorrow :) Finally the wait is over...!!
yes.. we talked yesterday and told me he would dispatch it by today..
not yet made payment..
very excited to think about Pioneer SP-PK21BS..
do let me know when it gets delivered to you..
@OP have you auditioned one of this models?
have you thought about denon 1612?
Its difficult to judge whether you have decided these models according to budget or features?

@OP: If you have the budget, then buy the 571. You can use it for 5.1 now and upgrade later to 7.1 should you change your mind. There are many difference between the two. For example, 471 supports only DTS HD. The user manual says it will use only the DTS core of DTS HDMA. Also there is no option for a future 7.1 upgrade. This is why I chose denon 1612 over yamaha 471.

Buddy, it appears that you have not done enough research on your AVR choices. If you have liked 471 but chose another AVR 'only' because it does not support HD audio, then sorry to say, you made a mistake.

You mean to say Yamaha would simply add the logo of DTS-MA and Dolby THD on their product features and on the AVR panel to deceive buyers without actually having the technology or license? :rolleyes:

FYKI Yamaha 471 does decode DTS-MA and Dolby THD. This is what is mentioned in the site:

Audio Features
HD Audio format decoding: Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio; Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio

What you have seen in the manual is under CINEMA DSP, a propreitary technology of Yamaha for enhanced surround sound processing. Only if you choose a DSP mode, the DTS-MA becomes unavailable since DSP technology is not upgraded to make use of HD audio yet. In normal modes (STRAIGHT), you do get the HD audio.

It was a shock to me when I read your comment. While you believe the basic HTiB Onkyo3300 decodes HD audio, you had concluded that rx 471 does not.:eek: I hope now it is clear.

@santy: My wrong assumption was due to the website showing only DTS HD logo for 371 and 471 with no description, while clearly showing DTS HDMA logo with a detailed description about HDMA for 671. Ditto in the '2011 Spring Catalog'. I don't know whether there is any difference between DTS HD and DTS HDMA. MAy be they both are the same. I also read in the manual that it decodes only the DTS part of DTS HD. But as you pointed out it may be under CINEMA DSP. Thanks for pointing out my mistake.

Anyway, I chose 1612 not because of the HD audio decoding in yamaha 471, but for the 7.1 upgrade, audessey multex eq etc. available in denon. Please note I don't want to go into a denon vs yamaha war.

@baijuxavior
No issues bro. I am least interested in a war as you mentioned.
I am happy with my purchase so are you. :D
We are here to present the facts. It is upto the OP to decide.
Both are great products for its price. It is must to demo and decide.

Reg, the decoding, even I may be wrong. According to me DTS-HD MA is having capabilities to decode the additional two channels, which anyway is not possible in 5.1 system like 471. While DTS-HD produces loseless audio same as DTS-HD MA but without the extra two channels. We will have to learn more about it.

@baijuxavior
I stand corrected and apologize for confusing. Having done a quick research, I realize that DTS-HDMA is superior to DTS-HD wherein the former is loseless supporting bit rates upto 24 mbps while the later can support HD audio upto bit rates of 6 mbps only. The manual states that DTS HD is virtually indistinguishable from the original (given the fact that CD quality is 1.4 mbps).

DTSHD.jpg

DTSHDMA.jpg

DTS-HD also supports 7.1 channels similar to MA. Another interesting observation, both DTS HD and HDMA is purported to be "fully compatible with existing multi channel audio systems that incorporate DTS". It is surprising. What does it mean, is not clear to me.

Anyway 1612 and 571 are the ones having MA and better than 471. As far as Dobly THD is concerned, all of them support it.

Hi Santy, good to know that what I pointed out was correct. But the question is how many of us will be able to distinguish between HD and HDMA and even DTS.

DTS HD and DTS HDMA are backward compatible with DTS only AVRs. These AVRs will see only the DTS core of the HD audio. From the DTS website: DTS-HD encoded content contains a DTS surround sound "core", plus an "extension" that delivers even higher quality. When you play a DTS-HD encoded disc through an older DTS-capable receiver, the DTS-HD extension is simply ignored and only the DTS core is decoded but not at ordinary quality levels. Your older receiver will play back DTS-HD material with DTS surround audio at twice the data rate of other DVD video surround formats. Meaning? You get immediate compatibility and a boost in quality.

Hi Santy, good to know that what I pointed out was correct. But the question is how many of us will be able to distinguish between HD and HDMA and even DTS.

As with HD and HDMA, I guess it must be the lesser than the difference between FLAC (compressed, loseless) and WAV (Uncompressd, loseless) : actually there isn't any.

DTS-HD :
  • Compressed
  • Loseless
  • Bit rate upto 6mbps
  • 7.1 channels
DTS-HDMA:
  • Compressed 2:1 (later decompressed on decoding using metadata)
  • Loseless
  • Bit rate upto 24mbps
  • Unlimited channels
True HD:
  • Compressed 4:1 (later decompressed on decoding using metadata)
  • Loseless
  • Bit rate upto 16 mbps
  • 16+ channels

As long as it is loseless there cannot be any audible difference.

So Santy,now you need not have to worry.There is another way,you can decode Dts-HDMA externally(BDP/HTPC) & send to AVR as LPCM.
We have tried it with Onkyo 609 from Dune,ther was no difference in audio Q in LPCM,but some of post processing options will not be available,but only multich.

Spiro
I am not really bothered about HD audio as of now, coz I neither have a player or contents for it. My WDTV can support only Dolby True HD bit streaming and I am yet to test it! Moreover I don't think there will be any audible difference between HD and MA as per reviews.

What confuses me is that virtually EVERYWHERE on the net, in the Yamaha official sites and in the manual, it is mentioned that 471 decodes DTS-HDMA. Infact both HD and HDMA are mentioned together.

Features on Web:
DTSHDMA_fea.jpg

Manual
manualma.jpg

Specs on Web
DTSHDMA_specs.jpg

"Only" confusion is the logo that is missing as baijuxavior pointed out. Strangely, this is the only discussion on the internet where this is debated. :D

What surprises me more is that the older model 467 shows it supports HD-MA! Wow come on.:D I have written to Yamaha asking for clarifications, will wait for their response. I believe it has got something to do with licensing. Meanwhile I am trying some DTS HD-MA clips today, will post the results shortly.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back