Yamaha Speaker and Subwoofer Owners Thread

Congratulations!!! I would put some carpets around the speakers.. Will make them sound better than putting them on the tiled floor

Hello Manoj , how is your AVR connected with the sub ?
if LFE , what is the cross over set on the AVR ?

i have the same Sub , just trying to get a punch bass out of it. Bought the sub from htstore.

Guys, details in this thread.

Hi ,

Try to set the Volume of the Sub to 50% and Crossover @ 100% .
Connect the calibration mic and try doing it again
Check for the Speaker settings .Crossover should be 80 Hz .Also see if your Subwoofer level is set t0 -9Db so you can increase it to -6 to -5 Db .
Try playing some action movies / demo Tracks with good format with and without Sub you will find the change .
By the way what is the size of the Room ?
What Sub Cables do you use ?

What should I use the phase for in Sub .There are two options Normal or Rev.Which one should I choose.Also the auto standby is that good to use.

What should I use the phase for in Sub .There are two options Normal or Rev.Which one should I choose.Also the auto standby is that good to use.
Only you can be the judge of that. You need to listen at both settings and see which sounds right for your ears.

Normal phase works for most......few prefer reverse phase.....try both options and audition with the content / sources used the most then decide.....you will need to keep each phase for a couple of days or week to draw a proper reference / conclusion.

Auto Standby helps the sub to power on when a signal is received from AVR......it will also auto shut off when there is no signal....most prefer the auto setting....

Finally I got the SW300 for 29K. Got a demo of a brand new packed piece and purchased it after getting satisfied with the demo at Vipul Audio, chennai. Sound was slightly boomy in the demo but that may be bcos of being brand new or due to lack of Calibration. I wanted to go for a bic PL200 but due to lack of space in my living room, Yamaha sw300 was the only option. It's a perfect cube in size.

My receiver is Yamaha RX-V475. I am using a Amazon basics cable for connection. I am newbie to this whole LFE and stuff like this. So, how do I connect and setup the sub for the best sound? My fronts and centers are focal sib XL on wall speakers with a freq range of 70hz to 35khz.

Connect the cable to the sub out in the receiver and to the lfe input on the sub. Put the crossover setting on the sub all the to max. Set the crossover freq from the avr. Start at 80hz and see how you like the sound. You may have to tweak it around for the best sound. I run dual sw300 so i can afford to run the crossover a little high. Currently at 100hz and the subs sound great. You will have to run it lower. 80hz should do the trick imho.

Finally I got the SW300 for 29K. Got a demo of a brand new packed piece and purchased it after getting satisfied with the demo at Vipul Audio, chennai. Sound was slightly boomy in the demo but that may be bcos of being brand new or due to lack of Calibration. I wanted to go for a bic PL200 but due to lack of space in my living room, Yamaha sw300 was the only option. It's a perfect cube in size.

My receiver is Yamaha RX-V475. I am using a Amazon basics cable for connection. I am newbie to this whole LFE and stuff like this. So, how do I connect and setup the sub for the best sound? My fronts and centers are focal sib XL on wall speakers with a freq range of 70hz to 35khz.
Congrats on your purchase. Also, set the speakers to small in avr. Do try different placements for your sub. Enjoy :)

Got the Yamaha SW-300 and tested with the recommended settings - Input to LFE terminal, Crossover on the SUB set to the max (although it has no effect as per the manual unless its connected to the Input 2 terminal) and crossover set to 90 Hz on the AVR. The bass is very low and muddy in both Music (Youtube etc) and Movies. Using the same Amazon basics cable which I was using with my old sub. My old yamaha 100W subwoofer is giving much better effects and integration with the overall sound and with the same cable and in the same position.

And my living room is much smaller than the Demo room. I was expecting much better response from the Sub. Something is wrong with the settings as it sounded much better in the Demo. Any pointers as to what could be wrong?

Last edited:
Got the Yamaha SW-300 and tested with the recommended settings - Input to LFE terminal, Crossover on the SUB set to the max (although it has no effect as per the manual unless its connected to the Input 2 terminal) and crossover set to 90 Hz on the AVR. The bass is very low and muddy in both Music (Youtube etc) and Movies. Using the same Amazon basics cable which I was using with my old sub. My old yamaha 100W subwoofer is giving much better effects and integration with the overall sound and with the same cable and in the same position.

And my living room is much smaller than the Demo room. I was expecting much better response from the Sub. Something is wrong with the settings as it sounded much better in the Demo. Any pointers as to what could be wrong?

Firstly congrats on your purchase....

Next keep sub volume on 50% and run YPAO caliberation......

Set all speakers to small and then check...

You may need to do Subwoofer crawl for optimal placement.....

Some subs have various modes behind.....Music / Movies....see which one works for you better.....

Also there will be a phase button......Normal and Reverse....

Every change to settings.......would require some days of checking and review from your end to see if it works well.....running it for an hour will not provide you any reference.....

Try to set the Volume of the Sub to 50% and Crossover @ 100% .
Connect the calibration mic and try doing it again

jain1980 Did you try to settle down setting your Sub ?

Nope. Waiting for the Bluerigger sub cable as suggested by a forum member and it should be arriving soon.

Will connecting a Y cable (Single Pin Sub out from Amp to Dual Pin Sub in (Left and Right) improve the bass and increase the volume? Even that cable is on its way.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back