Yamaha v665 - opinions???

soulforged

Hi,

Anybody had any experience with Yammy v665? How is this as a choice for dedicated HT setup (0% music, 100% movies). How does it compare with Denon 1910 or similar priced/featured model of Onkyo...

I got a price of 36K with bill & warranty for 665...is this a good deal???

:cheers:

PS: I tried searching the forum for this model but came up with nothing...please post links to the threads if this has been discussed earlier. Tx

Hi,

Anybody had any experience with Yammy v665? How is this as a choice for dedicated HT setup (0% music, 100% movies). How does it compare with Denon 1910 or similar priced/featured model of Onkyo...

I got a price of 36K with bill & warranty for 665...is this a good deal???

:cheers:

PS: I tried searching the forum for this model but came up with nothing...please post links to the threads if this has been discussed earlier. Tx

Soulforged, I think Venkat has mentioned somewhere that the Yamaha v665 is not as good as its predecessor v663 mainly because they have changed the power supply. Else the Yam avr is good for movies and music, though not as good as the Denon 1910 for music.

Btw the price is good with bill and warranty. Even in Dubai it costs around rs32k.

Thanks iaudio...

with the technology landscape changing rapidly, I would assume that the newer avatar would have better capabilities in terms of audio and video processing which is what is most imp for an AVR...or has the 665 regressed in all depts?

I would assume that the newer avatar would have better capabilities in terms of audio and video processing which is what is most imp for an AVR...or has the 665 regressed in all depts?

AV processing is important. But, the construction in terms of power supply is also very critical, particularly for movies. It is here that the xx5 series failed. The xx3 series were exceptional products that received all round acclaims. They had beefy power supply that rose to the occasion when needed. The 663 and the 863 were powerful systems that could deliver movie sound and music sound with ease and aplomb. For some strange reason, Yamaha went and screwed their market by reducing the size of the transformer and other parts of the power units in the xx5 series. Right from the day they were released, reviewers were moaning about this, and rightly so, as the series sounded anaemic for movies. We were expecting that Yamaha would correct this immediately, but they never did. Even Audioholics, which is a open Yamaha fan, kept quite about the xx5 series.

Denon simply wiped the market with their 2310 and 1910 as did Onkyo a close second with their xx6 and xx7 series.

Unless you are looking at something specific that only the Yamaha can provide, it does not make sense to look at the xx5 series. Hopefully, Yamaha would make some corrections this year.

Cheers

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back