Yamaha YHT-299 No Sound from Subwoofer

zzzehar

Hello friends, I am in a dilemma.

Everything was working with my year old YHT-299 but all of a sudden, the subwoofer stopped working. Here are some of the things I have tried from reading online and consulting the manual -

1) Set the speakers to small, made sure Subwoofer is set to 'Use' in Speaker Setup (I actually know this quite well since I have been using the system for last one year).

2) Tried using a different subwoofer cable from a neighbor's system.

3) Reset the AVR (HTR-3066) to factory settings (pressing 'Straight + Power' button and doing 'Init-All' from Advanced Menu.

4) Fiddled with the levels; set the speaker levels to -0.0 and subwoofer to +10.0 and some other combinations.

5) Ran Speaker Test and the static just blanks out when it comes to the subwoofer. All speakers respond correctly to the speaker test but sub blanks out - nothing can be heard even if the volume knob on the subwoofer is turned all the way up and subwoofer level is at +10.0 in speaker setup.

None of these worked. The light at the back of the subwoofer is on. The power button at the back of the subwoofer works - responds correctly to on and off.

My system just went out of warranty so I am bit hesitant to call up Yamaha guys knowing that they charge a bomb to just visit. I live in Chennai on OMR.

Anything else that I could try? All 5 speakers are working absolutely fine.

Please help!

Thanks

If the subwoofer does switch on then increase the levels on the subwoofer back , connect the RCA cable to the subwoofer and on the other end of the subwoofer touch the RCA pin with your fingers . If you hear a hum from the sub then it is working . You probably have a problem with the receiver

Last edited:
Hi

Could be dry solder from the bass speaker wire must have come out due to vibrations and heating.....it usually happens for subwoofers.

This means you may need to open....cant be a fuse issue as the power supply light is coming on etc.

Back