Yellow Light Tubelights

I agree, LEDs are lesser fatiguing, super frugal in their power consumption and last longer than conventional lights or CFL. They cost a bit more but we'll recover the costs due to lower power bills. Two rooms in my house are already running on LED. Next is my car garage cum work area for my DIY. Slowly, I plan to convert the entire house to run on LED and solar energy (for lighting atleast).

I am also looking for changing CFL to Warm LEDs. LEDs are more soothing. Which brand / fitting LEDs have you used? Can they be fitted in normal pin / thread wall sockets? One 14w CFL is equivalent to how much wattage of LED to give equivalent illumination? and what's the relative cost economics?

One more area is use of solar energy which is truly environment friendly. But for apartments without any approach to Roof, can this be possible?

Tubelights are about Rs 180/-
Tube Holder incl Electronic chokes about 250/-
Prices could be higher in Bangalore for labour as well.

I am shocked this guy is charging me Rs 700 per tube. Do you think this may be for the slim profile one and therefore more expensive? He is charging labour of rs 200 separately.

I am shocked this guy is charging me Rs 700 per tube. Do you think this may be for the slim profile one and therefore more expensive? He is charging labour of rs 200 separately.

No. I think he is charging you a little more.
But I really can't say until you check for Bangalore prices.

rud3dawg,
200 dont count now a days for most, and cfl looks better

well 200Rs CFL you paid w.r.t. 14Rs bulb that goes 5-9years,

1200Rs you spent buying cfls in 3 years

Moreover you need 2 CFL (14w) to cover one 60w bulb so saving in energy also not that great as marketing team advertises in the packet like
60W bulb~ 14W CFL

so comparatively consumer is not saving it is just that instead of paying to current bill the cfl vendor is taking your money:D, but who cares?

i just want to question why cant cfls last 5 years?, there is some trick mfrs playing
I am using LED lights.i can expect a 5 year...it is not about money it is my love towards efficient well developed technologies

Last edited:
Last edited:
... so comparatively consumer is not saving it is just that instead of paying to current bill the cfl vendor is taking your money:D, but who cares?

i just want to question why cant cfls last 5 years?, there is some trick mfrs playing
I am using LED lights.i can expect a 5 year...it is not about money it is my love towards efficient well developed technologies
Absolutely true!

Why don't they last? Because we turn them on and off, and they age more when that happens than in many hours of running --- so, economically, CFL is really not suited to rooms like toilets/bathrooms, where on/off cycles are short and frequent. Also, the bulbs are expensive because they include the electronics: ideally, we would change all our fittings to those which (like the larger tube-lights) include the electronics in the fitting, not in the bulb, so the bulb replacement is much cheaper.

I feel that I have only just caught up with CFL: I'm not ready to move to LED yet! It's also another capital-outlay thing. However, on a recent trip to Singapore, I was interested to see some small, neat LED floodlights. They were rated 10W. We have a garden floodlight, but it draws a huge amount of electricity, so we regard it as an emergency device. However, the LED floods were selling for over Rs.8,000 --- and that was on a half-price special offer :sad:.

I want a variable LED desk lamp and bedside lamp --- but, again, they are still very expensive.

Thad ,

my vendor supplies to builders.. flood lights are <2k in case you need :).
he has many led goodies will check for desk lamp ,also china import works out cheap.

We stopped using white tubes and incandescent bulbs back in 1998. In 2009 we went all LED for the lights which stay on for long hours and use cfl yellow lights when the occasion requires it.

The trick is when you buy things, buy it in bulk and wholesale. Right now the lights which stay on for long hours in the whole apartment all combined is a total of 40watts every night :)

rud3dawg,
200 dont count now a days for most, and cfl looks better

well 200Rs CFL you paid w.r.t. 14Rs bulb that goes 5-9years,

1200Rs you spent buying cfls in 3 years

Moreover you need 2 CFL (14w) to cover one 60w bulb so saving in energy also not that great as marketing team advertises in the packet like
60W bulb~ 14W CFL

so comparatively consumer is not saving it is just that instead of paying to current bill the cfl vendor is taking your money:D, but who cares?

hmmm.. The story goes like this ..

I got the 200 Rs CFL ones that you are saying for about 80-90- 110 Rs..as I got em from Wholsale.. and more over.. the same situation where we had 4 incandescent regular bulbs the bill used to be about 700 Rs in rainy and winter.. (Because we had about 6 bulbs that we were using during the construction..)... after changing the entire parking and rooms lighting to CFL we got the bills about 400 or even less.. (Ofcourse we were busy through out the day so not much of TV or PC) I think I already was on a profit role after 6 months.. but If you are talking about efficiency might I suggest the best possible solution that we are careless enough to ignore and inturn paying aheavy price is......

My all time fav .. Solar!!!! infact I am in pursuit of a module which will enable me to drive atleast few lights in my room using Solar energy!!! just dont think it s working out :(

my vendor supplies to builders.. flood lights are <2k in case you need .
he has many led goodies will check for desk lamp ,also china import works out cheap.

Darn.. I probably would want few in the near future.. :D if youd not mind!!!

Last edited:
Branded LEd lights are ridiculously priced.The supplier keeps good stuff
I am using NIMBUS LED spot lights Rs360 (eye type with chrome ceiling mount )or so very well made i can say from the quality ofthe driver to chrome fitting.

the flood light is like
$(KGrHqZHJE0E-utuk3h6BP2FW5(bRQ~~60_3.JPG

There are many led floodlights on offer in ebay which are much cheaper like kaushik says.

I am on the lookout to run the led directly on battery power. If i charge the batteries on solar and run the leds off battries, nothing like it. I dont see a point in conversion from dc to ac in inverter and the ac to dc on the led which leads to wastage and unnecessary electronics and cost.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

What I need is exterior unit. Confusion admission: I guess I need a floodlight, and I'm not sure now if the units I saw were spot or flood

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back