Yellow Light Tubelights

Nikhil

Staff member
I recently switched all tube lights at my place to yellow light tubelights in place of the standard white color tubes. Have to say that its one of the better decisions I've taken in a long time. The yellow light is much more ambient and looks great.

Due to my poor eyesight I need to have tubelights in the house in addition to my wife's selection of lamps and lighting fixtures which all use regular bulbs. I've switched those to yellow light CFLs but that has been much more expensive in comparison to the yellow light tubelights which hardly cost about Rs 40 more than the regular tubes. They go straight into the existing holders.

I also changed the chokes to the newer electronic chokes which snap on immediately instead of the usual "tubelight" flickering. Almost seems like I have a new place all over again. Brightly lit when I need it and with the nice yellow ambient color that we wanted.

Just thought I'd share this in case some haven't tried this yet.

Last edited:
Guess this is something we audio enthusiasts have something in common :).

Coincidentally, last weekend I visited Anilva's place. I noticed that he had warm yellow CFLs and pointed to him that I too prefer the warm yellow lights and would not have been able to listen for so long if they were the usual white CFLs. He said he too finds the warm yellow light to be easier on the eyes and that there was not a single white light in his house.

Very true about lighting when it comes to listening time. Invariably I used to turn off the tubelights and switch to yellow lights for a better ambience specially if it was for a long period of time. Yellow light is much warmer and comfortable for me.

Interesting improvement Nikhil. I too shall try it out in the near future in my room at least!!

I recently switched all tube lights at my place to yellow light tubelights in place of the standard white color tubes. Have to say that its one of the better decisions I've taken in a long time. The yellow light is much more ambient and looks great.

I havent used tubes or CFL in 6 years since I hate the white light. I find the yellow CFLs are not great many wavelengths are missing compared to the regular incandescant bulb. I think even the tubes yellow would be similar.

Recently I finally got CFLs last month as I suspect my light bill is too high since last 6 years because of these. but I make it a point to use both types when I am at home and leave the CFLs on when stepping out.

--G

Due to my poor eyesight I need to have tubelights in the house in addition to my wife's selection of lamps and lighting fixtures which all use regular bulbs. I've switched those to yellow light CFLs but that has been much more expensive in comparison to the yellow light tubelights which hardly cost about Rs 40 more than the regular tubes. They go straight into the existing holders.

I also changed the chokes to the newer electric chokes which snap on immediately instead of the usual "tubelight" flickering. Almost seems like I have a new place all over again. Brightly lit when I need it and with the nice yellow ambient color that we wanted.

It is a matter of choice - pale yellow light or white light. If you prefer pale yellow then that is it for you.

BTW, the chokes you changed are "electronic" chokes and not "electric". What you had earlier were "electric". Not many people know this but they think that a 40W tube with standard electric choke consumes 40W. That is incorrect. The choke consumes some 16W to 20W. The electronic choke consumes almost nothing. Besides the electric choke start giving out humming/buzzing sound when it gets old and not to mention the thin streak of smoke that blackens the wall around it. So overall a good move.

I still prefer the white light. :)

I havent used tubes or CFL in 6 years since I hate the white light. I find the yellow CFLs are not great many wavelengths are missing compared to the regular incandescant bulb. I think even the tubes yellow would be similar.

Recently I finally got CFLs last month as I suspect my light bill is too high since last 6 years because of these. but I make it a point to use both types when I am at home and leave the CFLs on when stepping out.

--G

I wonder what you have been using till now? Incandescant lamps all over?
Anyway, I am getting the interiors done in my new home and will be getting flat square shaped LED panels fixed in false ceiling. They come in Pure white, Warm white & Yellowish colours, in various power ratings from 6/9/10/12/15/22 Watts and maybe even higher. The light from these LEDs seems to be softer than the harsh light of CFLs.

The light from these LEDs seems to be softer than the harsh light of CFLs.
I agree, LEDs are lesser fatiguing, super frugal in their power consumption and last longer than conventional lights or CFL. They cost a bit more but we'll recover the costs due to lower power bills. Two rooms in my house are already running on LED. Next is my car garage cum work area for my DIY. Slowly, I plan to convert the entire house to run on LED and solar energy (for lighting atleast).

--G

Take it from me, you will be happy with the yellow light tubes. I use CFLs as well but haven't had any trouble - just the high cost. The tubelights on the other hand are cheap and work great.

Warm white LED spotlights (3w ) and indirect/diffused white light may be combined to get the right atmosphere .

However the CFLs are hole in your pocket. I have tried with GE , philips ,havell.. are have some defect that make them go in < 2 years .

May be well made LED bulbs will cross 5 years mark .;) with many savings

House lighting is all about how you plan your lights at various corners..look at this:
opulent-classy-living-room-neutral-tones.jpg

Warm white LED spotlights (3w ) and indirect/diffused white light may be combined to get the right atmosphere .

However the CFLs are hole in your pocket. I have tried with GE , philips ,havell.. are have some defect that make them go in < 2 years .

May be well made LED bulbs will cross 5 years mark .;) with many savings

House lighting is all about how you plan your lights at various corners..look at this:

Well Cant really agree with you there. we got all the CFL lights for our home built in 2009. and they were not expensive some were Wipro and some Havell rarely did we use Phillips and of all of them just about 3 bulbs and 1 tube light seemed to have conked out thats all.. and most of em run about 6 hrs a day atleast

Hey dawg! Its been a while. Try yellow tubes ... I think you'll like it.

yup yup but my light fixtures are direct facing ones.. so have to check if the glare will be too high!!!

I also changed the chokes to the newer electronic chokes which snap on immediately instead of the usual "tubelight" flickering. Almost seems like I have a new place all over again. Brightly lit when I need it and with the nice yellow ambient color that we wanted.

How strange to see this post. The electrician is putting in one 4 ft and one 2 ft slim profile yellow tube lights in my audio space tomorrow morning. Good to know about the electronic chokes. He is charging rs 700 for each regardless of size....just curious, is he ripping me off or is this about right? Thanks.

I agree absolutely, and have also changed most of mine.

If one needs to light a work area in the daytime, then a cold white light might be preferable. For evening/night light in the home, a warm light is much more natural and less fatiguing.

When you see, from the outside, a house lit with warm light, it looks warm, cosy, inviting. Perhaps you'd better start catering for uninvited guests! :lol:

Sounds warm! What brand were the Yellow CFL and the Yellow Light Tubelights. ? I've got some purchases to make coming week, think might as well get them, been on my mind ever since i saw them lit up at my cousins at Washington dc...

Mine are Philips tubes. Not technically "yellow," but Warm White. As might have been already mentioned, CFLs are also available in warm white. My 5W desklight casts a pleasant light over my corner, and gives plenty of light to type by.

I use T5 tubes throughout: no flicker, they work when the voltage is very low, and very compact, and I think the 28W is supposed to give as much as light as the big old tubes.

Sideline question: I want something brighter to light my car shelter, but not the traditional big 40W tubes. A requirement is instant-on, no flicker. What tube/fitting should I get?

Last edited:
How strange to see this post. The electrician is putting in one 4 ft and one 2 ft slim profile yellow tube lights in my audio space tomorrow morning. Good to know about the electronic chokes. He is charging rs 700 for each regardless of size....just curious, is he ripping me off or is this about right? Thanks.

Tubelights are about Rs 180/-
Tube Holder incl Electronic chokes about 250/-
Prices could be higher in Bangalore for labour as well.

yup yup but my light fixtures are direct facing ones.. so have to check if the glare will be too high!!!

Not a problem trust me. You're going to spend about 200 bucks for a tube.
Don't worry you won't burn a hole in your pocket.

Last edited:
Sideline question: I want something brighter to light my car shelter, but not the traditional big 40W tubes. A requirement is instant-on, no flicker. What tube/fitting should I get?

Electronic chokes are what you need. Instant on with tubelights.
Try adding more than one tubelight which will give you options.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back