YESUDAS - The Music Wizard

A 1973 light song Album of K.J. Yesudas.
Album title: Love's Emancipation.
Lyrics and Music composed by his friend SIMON MATHEW.
Format : EP 45 RPM
Tracks: 1. Kannukal entharinju 2. Innale Raavil, 3. Ivalorusndari pennu and 4. Araman yavanika.

aFDi59z.jpg

11vIYhX.jpg

You can listen to this album here: Love's Emancipation [1973]

From what I read:
Shortly after composing these songs Simon died in an accident. Later his brother and K.J. Yesudas took the pain to release it as an EP record.
Later Venu Nagavalli made a film loosely based on the story of Simon, called Sugamo Devi , which had none of Simon's songs but some wonderful long living melodies by Yesudas and Ravindran Team.

A 1973 light song Album of K.J. Yesudas.
Album title: Love's Emancipation.
Lyrics and Music composed by his friend SIMON MATHEW.
Format : EP 45 RPM
Tracks: 1. Kannukal entharinju 2. Innale Raavil, 3. Ivalorusndari pennu and 4. Araman yavanika.

aFDi59z.jpg

11vIYhX.jpg

You can listen to this album here: Love's Emancipation [1973]

From what I read:
Shortly after composing these songs Simon died in an accident. Later his brother and K.J. Yesudas took the pain to release it as an EP record.
Later Venu Nagavalli made a film loosely based on the story of Simon, called Sugamo Devi , which had none of Simon's songs but some wonderful long living melodies by Yesudas and Ravindran Team.

Thanks and regards for this infomation.

Thanks guys ..for opening he thread for Gana Gandarvan...I'm a die-hard fan of him..
last year Jan 2013 I' attended a Live Concert at Chennai Kamaraj Arangam ..Wow I'm amazed ..at his age of 73 his voices thunders..(he has a special sound) and the dedication he shows to the classical music is amazing...
GOD BLESS .LET OUR DASETTAN LIVES LONG FOR PROMOTING THE CLASSICAL MUSIC..

Sweet melodious songs (part-3)

31. Mamboove
(film-Yoddha, music - A.R.Rahman)

32. Kunukune cheru kuliralakal
(film-Yoddha, music - A.R.Rahman)

33. Swargam chamachathum narakam chamachathum
(film- Karpoora deepam, music-Johnson)

34. Kanaka nilavae
35. Muthu mani thooval tharaam
(film- Kauravar, music- S.P.Venkatesh)

36. Paathira paalkadavil
(film-Chenkol, music- Johnson)

37. Esal then kanam
(film-Ghasal, music-Ravi Bombay)

38. Chandana cholayil
39. Ponnil kulicha
(film- Sallapam, music -Johnson)

40. Sreela vasantham
41. Gopike
(film-Nandanam, music-Ravindran)

42. Shanthamee rathriyil
(film-Johny walker, music-SP.Venkatesh)

43. Manju veena
(film-Neelagiri, music-Maragatha Mani)

44. Aalila manjalil neeyadumbol kannukal aayiram
(film-Surya Gayathri, music-Ravindran)

45. Kannetha doore maru theeram
(film-Thazhvaram , music-Bharathan)

46. Oh priye (film-Aniyathi pravu , music-Ouseppachan)

47. Kaathirippoo kanmani
48. Manju masa pakshi
49. Sandramam
(film-Krishna gudiyil Oru pranaya kalathu, music- Vidya Sagar)

50. Pacha panam thathae
(film - Nottam , music-M.Jayachandran)

To be continue.....

Last edited:
Musically gifted soul like K.J. Yesudas a.k.a "Ghana Ghandharvan" is once in a millennium avathar.

He is one of the rare singers who can easily render ultimate low frequency(Bass) and High C (soprano) with elan in a single song.
E.g. Many songs.. esp. "Hari Murali Ravam" from Malayalam film "Aaram Thamburan" is one such.

Raveendran is one such Music Director could bring out many faces of K.J.Y's voice, making him to stretch to his limits.

Sharing a few records from my collection:

First Tamil Song by K.J. Yesudas [Film: Bommai. Song Neeyum Bommai. Music S. Balachandar]
Format :78 RPM: Year:1963
nYs53DT.jpg

First LP of K.J. Yesudas. '"The Best Film Songs of K.J.Jesudas"
9eINBkh.jpg

Year:1968
Contains Malayalam film songs like,'Nee Madhu Pakaroo', 'Shanku Pushpam kannezhuthumbol','Manikkya Veenayumayen', Oru Pushpam Mathramen' etc

First Non-film Album by K.J. Yesudas . Title: Malayalam Modern Songs. Year:1969. Mostly a compilation of songs K.J.J used to sing in his concerts. Music by V. Dhakshinamorrthy, M.S. Baburaj etc.

IzpvGyx.jpg

More to come...

Thank You for this information

Posting in the forum after long time. Saw this thread. I am also a big fan of him(like most of the south indians) :)

He has given a different dimension to devotional songs in south india especially on Lord Ayyappa. Many songs originated from Malayalam, but tunes were used in Tamil (and other languages as well) sung by Yesudas.

His classical concerts were enjoyed by the most common man, who doesn't know much about carnatic music.

His vocal range is excellent and music director Ravindran explored his voice's low octaves brilliantly in some songs.
Examples:
Ottakambi naadam(Thenum vayambum)
Maavu pootha poovanangalil (Album:Vasanthageethangal)

Some of my favorites.
Oru naru pushpamaay (Meghamalhar)
Enthan nenjil (Ilayaraaja, dont remember the movie)
Sreeraagamo (Pavithram)
Thoomanjin (Samooham)

There are a lot, but just noted down that came to my mind now.

Just out of curiosity - probably the members who have commented so far have no inkling of this - how is it that no one has commented on Salil Chowdhury's usage of Jesudas's voice ? Its not easy to match Salilda's original Bengali compostions ( though Lata just sailed through with ease in the Hindi nbrs - that was probaly because she sang most of the original Bengali nbrs too ) ; but, Jesudas came pretty close to delivering for Salilda....a few songs that come to mind are Keli nalinam, Oonaru Oonaru, Devi Devi....

YouTube channel Tunix records and it's sub channel Innalekal, have an excellent collection of 70-80s Malayalam songs, most likely directly transferred from Vinyl and Cassettes. AFAIK they have some of the best sounding copies available on digital media.

From Nadodikkattu (1987)

From Poovinu Puthiya Poonthennal (1986)

From Unnikale Oru Kathaparayaam (1987)

Last edited:
Really Yesudas is a legend and his voice is godgifted. Have never listened to his Malayalam songs but his Hindi songs are also very beautiful. Perhaps he had a very good and strong classical base . Besides, he can give a song a unique dimension. Who can ever forget his songs in chit Chor or swan ko anedo .? Thanks preth for reviving an old thread .
Regards

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back