YESUDAS - The Music Wizard

This reminds me of my college days, in class, there used to be 2 lobbies, the Yesudas fans and the Michael Jackson fans (this was the 1980s) and they would throw brick bats at each other, literally. When I joined the class, we started a thrid lobby, the Metallica fans, and it used to be a 3-way dance between the 3 goups. We had some really good fun back then. Good memories!!

Yesudas is well and trully a legend. From what I've seen in person, he is also a very humble person. Recently when I was flying to Bangalore, he was on the same flight. He came and sat with the general public in the waiting lounge. An officer came and requested him to go to the VIP lounge but he refused. He also obliged each and every person who wanted to pose with him for photographs.

Sir , Your note dragged me into different timelines :)

I might got Hear attack if i was with KJJ's Flight , being pleasant surprise and My heart doesnt have capability to bear such a gift :eek:hyeah:

Does anyone feel Vijay Yesudas sounds similar to his dad at least on song kola kuyil vili ketto
There was few Blades available in 70-80's tO perfectly polish the diamond Like KJJ Like Ravindran,Ilayaraja etc

KJJ is Mount Everest and his Kid is growing stage but possibly the platform is not so fine as like 80's to take chance.

Note: Its not intended that 90's songs of KJJ bad, Just mentioned that he was gifted with such voice and we got gifted to hear his music.

Nostalgic moments with KJJ. These songs were in almost everyday's play list then.. still continues........and lingers in mind....

i still preserve a late 70's spool recording of K.J. Yesudas's concert in Music Academy,Chennai (may be recorded by L.R. Samy)

dlr5shJ.jpg

z2Z34wh.jpg

gmt0Xx6.png

ZmMmEbj.jpg

UNIHN60.jpg

ZNApd1I.jpg

xPkKqiL.jpg

g956yN5.jpg

1967-77 period of time yesudas won 3 national film awards for best male singer in India. In that time Moh.Rafi got only 1 in 1977.
I think may be thats the reason, didn't get more opportunities from bolly wood industries.

I have seen North vs South is always in place from Politics to Film industry those days . But we get them dissolved now :)

South Indians were given little chance to shine and wise versa :)

But we could see great change now Shreya ghosal sings almost evey south India languages and South indian films get remaked in North quite frequently.

But KJJ Hindi solos were also outstanding,Especially chitchor :)

Few of My Yesudas non film malayalam collection......

I do't think any true malayali can live without listening a yesudas song.

Few recordings from early 90's/late 80's are excellent. Especially the devotional one by Dakshinamoorthy Swamy is awsome, Hrudayanjali, Aardra Geethangal, Vasantha Geethangal, Ganotsavam, etc. to name a few.

Have few LP's and many Yesudas film audio CDs with excellent songs/recording...

Will write later few stories about Yesudas and Raveendran from my Chennai days 2-3 decades back.

Thanks
venu

Attachments

• IMG_0882.jpg
    IMG_0882.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 74
Most of the Tharangini album song's recording quality too good compared to others. Thanks for share this information.

Beg to differ. I have some old and original Tharangini CD's (classical) whose recordings are unbelievably bad. It is so amateurish that for no apparent reason, the violin and mridangam suddenly shift places, all sounds of the singer and instruments out of the blue disappear in the soundstage and emanate like from mono recordings. These kill the continuity and joy of listening.
If I remember right the old days, the major criticism against the great singer (no doubt) was his most unwanted and selfish business interests in not copyrighting such songs to others but recording in a mediocre way in his own studio.
All that glitters is not gold, as they say.

murali

Beg to differ. I have some old and original Tharangini CD's (classical) whose recordings are unbelievably bad. It is so amateurish that for no apparent reason, the violin and mridangam suddenly shift places, all sounds of the singer and instruments out of the blue disappear in the soundstage and emanate like from mono recordings. These kill the continuity and joy of listening.
If I remember right the old days, the major criticism against the great singer (no doubt) was his most unwanted and selfish business interests in not copyrighting such songs to others but recording in a mediocre way in his own studio.

murali

Murali
Most of the Classical songs CD's were recorded from live stage performance. May be that's the reason for bad quality. I was meant only for the studio recordings.
Please listen 1982's Ulsava ganangal CD. I think it is better than today's recording.

murali

Recent time i spoke mr.Karunakaran nair (former chief recordist of Tharangini) and he says that todays cd releasing is very huge loss for Tharangini. But yesudas releasing acd's in every occation for his music lovers.
Bcoz todays Tharangini cd's maximum price rs.75. How can release for rs.75? Maximum buyers are below 1000 peoples. So yesudas suffering huge loss for every cd titles?
Imagine one cds profit rs.25, maximum benefit from a cd release is 1000*25=25000
How can continue this business?

Imagine one cds profit rs.25, maximum benefit from a cd release is 1000*25=25000

Sir, I get really scared of the current situation, Most of the companies who market the CD's(Primary source) for music is running in Loss due to Free downloads available.

I scar that in some days or years later the Music would be not given preference as they cant buy out the investments.

So better to keep the Treasures LP\CD there could be days where the CD\DVD's would be in place of Cassettes of these days.

Recent time i spoke mr.Karunakaran nair (former chief recordist of Tharangini) and he says that todays cd releasing is very huge loss for Tharangini. But yesudas releasing acd's in every occation for his music lovers.
Bcoz todays Tharangini cd's maximum price rs.75. How can release for rs.75? Maximum buyers are below 1000 peoples. So yesudas suffering huge loss for every cd titles?

This is precisely the point. In this age of free downloads, everyone knows CD's are not easy to sell. But I am not talking of today's releases. I bought the Tharangini CD's long before the advent of MP3 and prices of CD's were quite high. Quality of many non-Tharangini CD's were quite good. So to me, it was never a question of margins, but more of an inclination towards greed.
There are two markets in this hobby of ours. Mass market products and better products. Whether equipment or sources. The mass market is quite competitive and every consumer looks for value for money spent. However, better products are priced higher and naturally takers will be less. But those products are made better specifically for that kind of customer who can spend a little more and concerned about better quality. That is universal.
Remember, Pioneer made the Kuro TV's as the best in the planet. But with the advent of cheaper LCD's and LED's, they stopped rather than compromising on quality and price.
So what matters is the quality for which some people like me pay.
And finally, just to compete in the market, you don't make shoddy recordings, do you? The recording has to be true, whether done with cheap mics and equipment or not, and the price part of the CD lies more in the quality of the CD material and construction. That is where Tharangini disappointed. I can excuse it if the CD distorts after a few play-on but cannot if the recording is bad right from the beginning.
Purely my opinion, no offence meant to anyone.

Thanks.
murali

This is precisely the point. In this age of free downloads, everyone knows CD's are not easy to sell. But I am not talking of today's releases. I bought the Tharangini CD's long before the advent of MP3 and prices of CD's were quite high. Quality of many non-Tharangini CD's were quite good. So to me, it was never a question of margins, but more of an inclination towards greed.
There are two markets in this hobby of ours. Mass market products and better products. Whether equipment or sources. The mass market is quite competitive and every consumer looks for value for money spent. However, better products are priced higher and naturally takers will be less. But those products are made better specifically for that kind of customer who can spend a little more and concerned about better quality. That is universal.
Remember, Pioneer made the Kuro TV's as the best in the planet. But with the advent of cheaper LCD's and LED's, they stopped rather than compromising on quality and price.
So what matters is the quality for which some people like me pay.
And finally, just to compete in the market, you don't make shoddy recordings, do you? The recording has to be true, whether done with cheap mics and equipment or not, and the price part of the CD lies more in the quality of the CD material and construction. That is where Tharangini disappointed. I can excuse it if the CD distorts after a few play-on but cannot if the recording is bad right from the beginning.
Purely my opinion, no offence meant to anyone.

Thanks.
murali

Murali
Tharangini punching their cd's in mumbai. Can you send a mp3 (320kbps) copy to my email id [email protected]
Bcoz i want to know its genueinity, then i'll reply.

Pls remember i'm not the authorised person of Tharangini. (This is only for the curiosity)

Last edited:
PLEASE REMEMBER THIS THREAD RELATE TO THE LEGEND SINGER Dr.k.j.yesudas.

Share your childhood musical experience, college life, cinema experience related to yesudas song inflence, gana mela, etc....

Last edited:
Some good melodious songs list from 1990-2014

01. Pramadavanam veendum -
(film - His highness abdulla, music-Ravindran)
02. Pinneyum pinneyum -
(Krishnagudiyil oru pranaya kalathu, music-Vidya Sagar)
03. Oru rathri koodi vida vangave
(Summer in Bethlaheim, music-Vidya Sagar)
04. Vennila kombile rappadi (Usthad)
05. Oru kunju (film -Chandranudikkunna dhikkil, music-Vidya Sagar)
06. Thekku Thekku (Ezhu punna Tharakan)
07. Nizhaladum deepame (Mister Butler, music-Vidya Sagar)
08. Neram poi neram poi (Elavakodu desam)
09. Varthingal (Dreams)
10. Sumangali kuruvi (Azhakiya Ravanan, music-Vidya Sagar)
11. Thathamma peru (Dosth)
12. Aro viral meetti (Pranaya varnangal, music-Vidya Sagar)
13. Virahini radhe (Mister Butler, music-Vidya Sagar)
14. Ororo (Elamura Thampuran, music-Ravindran)
15. Paathira pullu (Ee puzhayum kadannu, music-Johnson)

To be continue...

Last edited:
Sweet melodious song list (part-2)

16. Hari muraleeravam
(film- Aaraam Thampuran - music Ravindran)

17. Thira nurayam churul mudiyil. (film- Anantha bhadram, music-MG.Radha krishnan)

18. Kattinu suganthamanu ishtam
(film- Mayugam, music- Ravi Bombay)

19. Parayathe ariyathe (film-Udayananu Thaaram, music-Deepak dev)

20. Melleyonnu paadi ninney (film-Manasinakkarey, music-Ilaya Raja)h

21. Muttathethum Thennale
(film-Chandrolsavam, music-Vidya Sagar)

22. Anuraga mananda
(film-Anyar, music-Kaithapram)

23. Rakkuyil paadi
(film-Kasthuri maan, music-Ouseppachan)

24. Chira purathana
(film-Made in USA, music-Vidya Sagar)

25. Etho Rathri mazha
(film-Bus conducter, music-M.Jayachandran)

26. Pottu Thottu Ponnumani
(film-Aalis in wonderland, music-Vidya Sagar)

27. Omane
(film-Mizhi Randilum, music-Ravindran)

28. Rama kadha gana layam
(film-Faratham, music-Ravindran)

29. Enthe kannanu karuppu niram
(film-Photographer, music-Johnson)

30. Madhuram jeevamrutha bindu
(film-Chenkhol, music-Johnson)

To be continue......

I like the song.. pacha panam thathe, Picture name I dont know.. I have it in LP.. Satyam Audio's

mohd rafi &jim reeves are good ,but not as good as jesudas

Why such unnecessary, unpleasant statements in this nice thread? ... Please avoid comparing artists bcoz that will offend the fans of the artists who are compared and is completely unfair to do so ... Every artist is a blessing from GOD ... the OP has taken interest to share about Dr. KJY & let us all just discuss about his achievements.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back