• After 1 year

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • After 2 years

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

brettie

Hey all,

I'm typing this to check how reliable our panels are. Please try to be honest with the poll, So we understand what is actually happening.

I bought my PS51E550 in 2012. Lost picture day before and when I tried to surf around the internet, Found many similar complaints. You can google "no picture, only sound" and a Samsung forum will pop up with nearly 500 complaints.

Is it just Samsung or every other top brand? Has your Plasma/LED TV ever crossed a 10 year period without changing it after using it continuously.

Do share your experiences, Good or bad. Apologies, if, we already have a thread about this.

I bought a Samsung LA32A550 in 2008. So far it has been working well, apart from signs of aging (past one year) - edges have minor backlight bleed but this can be seen only on dark screen without signal. Under normal viewing it cannot be seen. I use it minimum 5 hours a day. Of course I take precautions like using a stabilizer from day one and unplugging from mains when not in use. Very happy with this TV, especially after reading recent complaints of panel failure after 1-2 years.

I am still using my 2008 Sony LCD as my secondary TV. No issues so far, just for size upgrade i have changed my primary TV to VU 55".

I'm still using a Samsung 40inch C550 model since past a decade and still in top notch condition, now as a secondary. Using almost for 4-6 hrs a day and running like day one. I guess the older ones were made of good quality.

It depends on your luck as well. I am still using my Samsung LCD which I bought in 2008 or so, but the Sony which I bought in 2010 died within 13 months of operation which I had to trash due to high cost of panel change ....

It depends on your luck as well. I am still using my Samsung LCD which I bought in 2008 or so, but the Sony which I bought in 2010 died within 13 months of operation which I had to trash due to high cost of panel change ....

I guess you're right, which tv or panel one gets, its really sheer luck. And that is why its worth investing in additional warranty to be on the safer side.

I guess you're right, which tv or panel one gets, its really sheer luck. And that is why its worth investing in additional warranty to be on the safer side.
I am not sure whether its just my feeling or not, buy my Samsung which is still living its 10th year without any issue was imported from UAE, whereas the Sony which embraced hara-kiri right after year 1 was locally procured. Is it that they sell low quality products in Indian markets?

I am not sure whether its just my feeling or not, buy my Samsung which is still living its 10th year without any issue was imported from UAE, whereas the Sony which embraced hara-kiri right after year 1 was locally procured. Is it that they sell low quality products in Indian markets?

Well I can't say that I totally agree with your point, but of late it seems like it after reading so many issues not only with tv's but other av products as well. It looks like a mere recycling of 3-5 years which these companies are imposing on us the consumers. Now we have a newer model every year (Ex. a mobile phone, Samsung Galaxy S1....S9) and we get attracted to the newer ones, this is a mere business strategy of companies to stay in the competition, outrespecting the spending behaviour of the consumers. And we end up in their super duper devices with newer functionalities which last for less than half a decade, and they survive.

Well this is how it is and we are in the system which we have to follow.

Samsung 51E8000 plasma bought in 2012 working fine but past few months a thin vertical line has appeared in the middle. Only notice it when you are close to the tv but tv and picture works fine.

2 Sony 42W772E leds bought last year working fine for now.

Have been using my Sony 32 inch LCD TV since July 2008 without any issues till date. Just had to replace the remote controller once since it stopped working. But for TV, it has been working flawlessly since 2008. Never faced even any minor issue. All buttons on TV working perfectly fine. The body finishing of the TV is still as good as new!

I also own a 50 inch LG 4K LED TV which I purchased in July 2015. This TV also has been working without any technical glitches in it since then

Hey all,

I'm typing this to check how reliable our panels are. Please try to be honest with the poll, So we understand what is actually happening.

I bought my PS51E550 in 2012. Lost picture day before and when I tried to surf around the internet, Found many similar complaints. You can google "no picture, only sound" and a Samsung forum will pop up with nearly 500 complaints.

Is it just Samsung or every other top brand? Has your Plasma/LED TV ever crossed a 10 year period without changing it after using it continuously.

Do share your experiences, Good or bad. Apologies, if, we already have a thread about this.
My first Sony LCD bought in Oct 2007 (with 42k) was working till, 2016 or so, when I exchanged it (got only 2000 or so) for a Vu TV. The TV had started showing lots of vertical lines and looked like the panel will fail anytime. Apart from that there was no issue whatsoever and never had to call a mechanic. Only issue was the power cable (which was the same that goes into desktop) and used to get damaged every now and then. I had to replace it many times.

My Samy Plasma (51F5500) TV bought in 2013 mid got totally damaged few months back. Got 50% back from Samsung as compensation.

My 42inch samsung C450 Plasma in my room is working fine till now except for few dead pixels which one can make out only from close. It was bought in 2009. PQ is still excellent.
Another 32 inch Samsung Led is working well in parents room since last 5 years.
A LG 43inch Led is working fine in our lobby since last 2 years.
So, all in all we have been lucky so far.

Panasonic plasma 42" bought in 2008, no issues of any kind.
Second Panny plasma 50" bought in 2013, no issues at all.

OP must be feeling frustrated after reading all these messages!

My first Sony LCD bought in Oct 2007 (with 42k) was working till, 2016 or so, when I exchanged it (got only 2000 or so) for a Vu TV. The TV had started showing lots of vertical lines and looked like the panel will fail anytime. Apart from that there was no issue whatsoever and never had to call a mechanic. Only issue was the power cable (which was the same that goes into desktop) and used to get damaged every now and then. I had to replace it many times.

My Samy Plasma (51F5500) TV bought in 2013 mid got totally damaged few months back. Got 50% back from Samsung as compensation.

what procedure did you have to do to get the compensation from samsung?

Initial request for service. Once their service engineer visits and confirms that the parts needed for the service are not available, they will offer you the compensation (please tell them to service your TV at any cost, else they may say that the customer does not wants service and may close the request), provided you can provide the original invoice. They says that typically they were supposed to provide service and spares for 7 years. So if the TV conks off within 7 years from purchase date, then only it will be considered. Not sure about the basis of calculation of quantum of compensation. They offered me 50% for a 4.5 years old plasma. I simply accepted it. My TV actually costed me 65K, but the invoice was 76500/-. I got 38250/- back. So essentially I lost 27K only in the bargain.

In fact, that precisely is the reason, there is no point buying expensive extended warranty. In most cases, after 2-3 years, they simply can't service the TV, as the spares for new TV is different from earlier gen. For most of the premium brand they offers similar compensation (the key is to have the original invoice) and also to request for service from their authorised service centres.

I had purchased a Samsung 3D TV from Bangkok on a backpacking trip 6 years back. those days you were allowed to bring TV's without any charges. Touch wood it is still working fine and a lot of people have commented on the picture quality being far far better than similar priced model eve now. The refresh rate was also higher 240 Hz if I remember correctly.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back