your view on SONY IV-300 5.1 HT system

right now as i write i am watching hbo hits hd the movie coming is pirates part 2 n sound is absolutely distortion free every effect is crystal clear like said earlier listen to believe dont just follow brands

As per your experience, it certainly looks like a good system at 20K. But there is a reason why Denon and Yahama quotes around 35K for their entry+ segment (YHT 299/Denon X500).

I wish you would have got a chance to listen to Sony and then Denon one after other. So its not only brand that is commanding the price but the speakers of Denon and Yamaha are mostly quoted at 6 Ohms.

Nevertheless, good to know that we can also ask people to have a look at this Sony if the budget is around 20-22K. :signthankspin:

neowheels

Buddy u can adjust db of the speaker upto 6 it has some nice settings in menu like distance of speakers from u n level of ohm in speakers which is quite helpful Yamaha n others r just taking advantage of non availability of product at gud price which sony has recognized and delivered every thing is same if any body want more depth then i think bose is best y go for mediocre HT

I don't know why Sony calls this model 'DTH'. There is no DTH box bundled with the HT. DTH can be connected to any AVR based HT system using HDMI or SPDIF. Just another trick to fool layman.

coz any other co din do it simple lol and others r price heavy layman is not opening commercial theater end of the a gud movie exp rest buy bose i think it is best of the lot

I agree with Baiju, Why Sony is making fool of the customers by adding such things and selling the home theater products. Every Home theater with HDMI & SPDIF will have the ability to connect to DTH and enjoy the sound.

right now as i write i am watching hbo hits hd the movie coming is pirates part 2 n sound is absolutely distortion free every effect is crystal clear like said earlier listen to believe dont just follow brands

Hows the bass from the woofer is it good

sameer

The bass is gud u can set it as per ur room n distance it has this fantastic setting of speakers setup according to ur room n at wat distance u want

In your views, how does the Sony IV300 compare to the Sony DZ350?

Both are available at similar prices. The demo at the store has just made me even more confused in this regard.

I like the sound coming out of the DZ350, but I like the IV300s form factor and the additional ports at the back.

Has anyone had to compare these two models before. I would really appreciate some help in this regard.

My requirement is to have a good sound system for my TV (Sony W700B) and XBox360 needs. Within a budget of INR 20,000.

I would agree with everyone who tells me that an entry level Yamaha/Onkyo will beat both these systems. But then, they will burn through my pockets like wild fire.

As iam using ht-iv300 coz of it feature of connection to my tata sky +hd n i have connected to my xbox360 n ps3 too coz of 3 hdmi ports given n also has 3d pass through so u can watch 3d movies too n it is latest offering from sony the other model u mentioned is old n less feature go for ht-iv300 it is gud n falls in budget with true 5.1 sound

Thanks, glad you are enjoying your new purchase!

When I listened to both systems in parallel, I felt like the sound of the DZ350 was better.

I am still trying to decide between the feature set and small size that thee iv300 offers vs the 2-way speakers with the DZ350! :sad:

As iam using ht-iv300 coz of it feature of connection to my tata sky +hd n i have connected to my xbox360 n ps3 too coz of 3 hdmi ports given n also has 3d pass through so u can watch 3d movies too n it is latest offering from sony the other model u mentioned is old n less feature go for ht-iv300 it is gud n falls in budget with true 5.1 sound

well it all depends on u if u want sound n features ht-iv300 is there n i think it is a gud combo in best price people r less aware of it n dey still go stereotype blindly on other brands

Yes, I agree that the Sony IV300 has a few more input port features than the Sony DZ350. Its because both are prices exactly the same, I am having a hard time in deciding which one to go for.

IV300 Pros:
- 3x HDMI INs
- Compact Form Factor
IV300 Cons:
- Full range speakers sounded a little shrill to me (varies by opinion)
- At higher volumes, the light satellites literally tremble (vibrate and move on a table surface)

DZ350 Pros:
- The speaker set sounded slightly better (2-way satellites) (varies by opinion)
- Has a DVD Player (not required per se)
DZ350 Cons:
- 0 HDMI INs
- Size of the AVR

I have been running these in my head for many days now. No decision yet.

Things I would like to connect to a HT system:
- TV (Sony KDL 42W700B)
- STB (TataSky HD)
- XBox 360
- USB Drives
- Bluetooth Devices (optional)

well it all depends on u if u want sound n features ht-iv300 is there n i think it is a gud combo in best price people r less aware of it n dey still go stereotype blindly on other brands

then my frnd ht-iv300 is for u coz i was is in same delima n tatasky hd will not give 5.1 sound unless it is attach to avr the other sony model is just a dvd ht which is of no use to u ask the dealer he will also say the same as per sound it all depend on ur hearing to me ht-iv300 gives destortion free sound n every effect is crystal clear wen say this i mean it coz of set up at sony centre they have not set up the system correctly that y sound varies

[Reposting, since the first attempt didn't pass through]

Hi folks!

I'm new here, and joined specifically to participate in this thread.

Yes, I'm really intrigued by this new HTIB - SONY HT IV-300, and am planning to buy it. (I even downloaded the manual and read it :p )

However, before finalizing my decision, I wanted to seek the feedback/suggestion of all the knowledgeable folks here.

I've already received a detailed demonstration of the unit at a Sony Centre in my city (Pune), and am quite satisfied with it (features and sound quality wise).

A salesman in another store said that IV-300's bass is weaker than other HT's, but in my demo I found a good ground thumping bass that was more than adequate for my needs.

So here's my requirements and observations:

1.I'm going to install it in the living room of my rented flat, and I don't intend to play it in blazing volumes, ever. The max volume doesn't mean much to me.

2.*However, I do want good clarity in sound, particularly for voice/speech (and I already found the IV-300 to be very good in producing very clear speech/voice).

3.I want really good positional audio as I'm going to connect it to my PS3. Getting an immersive feeling in games is the primary reason for me to get a 5.1 setup. This I couldn't make out properly in the demo, since all the speakers were positioned in a row in the front.

4.I want to connect it to my TataSky HD DTH set top box too (this is secondary though). My understanding is any HT with HDMI in should be able to take care of this, but I've heard that most don't work with Indian set top boxes (really?). Any details/info on this would be great!

5.Miracast: One of the great (and under-advertised) features of this model is the ability to mirror mobile/tablet screens and audio to TV using miracast. This would be a really great feature to connect my Nexus 4 phone with. I will be able to play HD mobile games on the large TV screen, play DRM protected Google Play movies/videos from the phone to TV (these cannot be normally copied), etc. I'm not aware of any other HTIB providing this feature. However, while trying to connect my phone during the demo it didn't work. Even the sales person's Sony phone didn't connect, but when he got another already paired Sony phone from his fellow, it worked perfectly. Can the owner of IV-300 shed some more light on this please? Have you tried this feature? Does it have any compatibility issues?

6.I do not need VCD/DVD/DVD/USB playing capabilities, since my PS3 can take care of all that, and I already have a WiFi media streaming (DLNA) setup running in my home. I even have the PS3 BD remote, so I don't have to do play back control using the game controller. :)

7.My budget is around 20k, but can stretch it to 25k at most including amplifier, speakers and everything. Forgive my limited knowledge, but most big-brand HTs in this range (Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer etc) look very bulky and dated. I've taken demo of these too, and while the sound is surely good, I didn't find them better enough to ignore all the downsides (price, maintainance, limited features, bulky body etc). That said, I'm still open to any suggestions...

8. *Wireless surround/rear speakers would have been great. I've a rather long (rectangular) living room, and would need 20-25 feet of speaker cable for the rear speakers. Will it cause attenuation in the rear pair? I'm aware of the IV-300's ability to set speaker volumes and distance compensations independently.

9.HDMI control (and Bravia Sync) are nice to have features, so that I can control the HT with my PS3 and vice versa.

10.HDMI Audio Return Channel: Although my 42" Hitachi TV (which I had bought for only 30K) doesn't have ARC, my next (possibly 3D) TV would, so it's required.

11. Bluetooth: Stereo (2 channel) to multi channel (5.1) up-scaling.

I'd really appreciate if you guys kindly help me make the right choice considering my above requirements!

Also, some additional points against some previous comments:

1.While the impedance of the front and surround speakers are 3 ohms, the centre speaker and sub-woofer are rated at 6 ohms.

2.The IV-300 doesn't have 3 HDMI ins (I wish it did!). It has only 2, and 1 HDMI out.

Thanks & regards,
Sounak

Hi Sounak

The IV 300 is a HTiB and ofcourse there would be some level of limitations. As experience and posts suggest, HTiBs are easy to install, connect and use. Downside is after 3/4 years of use, the PC boards or other technical snags occur where the service centre would not be able to replace as outdated and then you have no option but to hunt for the part and pay a steep price to get it fixed or end up buying another HTiB.

Professional entry level systems like Yamaha / Onkyo / Pioneer / Denon etc have separate units and are built to perform and last for quite an amount of years. They are bulky in size due to the complex nature of the built quality and features. Some brands come in a slim size. Parts are easily available and these AVRs are repairable. Typically Home Theatres range start from 24k onwards and can go into lakhs...it all depends on how much perfection, power, features etc you want within your budget. The impedance of such Home Theatres is 6ohms onwards. The output delivery is better with quality and punch.

The best would be to audition as many systems as you can within your budget and then make a choice. If you have already made up your mind to spend a specific budget and the Sony IV 300 appeals to your requirements, then you should go for it.

Hi Sounak

The IV 300 is a HTiB and ofcourse there would be some level of limitations. As experience and posts suggest, HTiBs are easy to install, connect and use. Downside is after 3/4 years of use, the PC boards or other technical snags occur where the service centre would not be able to replace as outdated and then you have no option but to hunt for the part and pay a steep price to get it fixed or end up buying another HTiB.

Professional entry level systems like Yamaha / Onkyo / Pioneer / Denon etc have separate units and are built to perform and last for quite an amount of years. They are bulky in size due to the complex nature of the built quality and features. Some brands come in a slim size. Parts are easily available and these AVRs are repairable. Typically Home Theatres range start from 24k onwards and can go into lakhs...it all depends on how much perfection, power, features etc you want within your budget. The impedance of such Home Theatres is 6ohms onwards. The output delivery is better with quality and punch.

The best would be to audition as many systems as you can within your budget and then make a choice. If you have already made up your mind to spend a specific budget and the Sony IV 300 appeals to your requirements, then you should go for it.

Thanks a lot, efernand1, for the quick and detailed reply!
I really lack knowledge on AVR systems.
Can you please recommend a few good entry-level AVR models (Yamaha, Onkyo, Pioneer etc) that I can go for?
Again, my budget is max 25k, inclusive of everything.

SONY HT iv-300 is best in budget ht system as i am using it in 12*11 room system delivers great sound with depth if ur in budget of 20k go for this system n u need not ti but a bd player too coz is has a usb port which support 2tb external hdd with all format support including mkv and has 3d pass through 3 hdmi ports enable u to connect tatasky gaming system n any other connect to it read my Earlier post

SONY HT iv-300 is best in budget ht system as i am using it in 12*11 room system delivers great sound with depth if ur in budget of 20k go for this system n u need not ti but a bd player too coz is has a usb port which support 2tb external hdd with all format support including mkv and has 3d pass through 3 hdmi ports enable u to connect tatasky gaming system n any other connect to it read my Earlier post

Thanks, vibhs19!
I've gone through all the previous posts, including yours, several times already:)

I'm already very satisfied with IV-300's feature set and its value for money, but it's the sound quality that I'm more concerned about...

BTW, can you please provide more details on the screen mirroring feature using Miracast? Have you used it? Does it work properly? Which phone/tablet do u have?

Also, when you say 3 HDMI ports you mean 2 HDMI in and 1 out, right?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back